Why are Jehovah's Witness seen as crazier than other Christian denominations?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2012, 08:41 PM
RE: Why are Jehovah's Witness seen as crazier than other Christian denominations?
(09-12-2012 12:02 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 11:47 PM)Atheist Jesus Wrote:  I used to consider myself a Jehovah's Witness in my early adolescent years. Although I was never baptized, I enjoyed going to the Kingdom Hall. I remember reproaching my mother because I wanted to go and she would always be "busy." I enjoyed being a JW. After "converting" from Catholicism, I felt that JW teachings were much more sophisticated.

Don't celebrate Christmas because it's Pagan. Total sense!
Don't pray to status or images. Genius!
Jesus was the son of God; none of that weird Trinity BS.

Back then it felt much more sophisticated. Of course, now that I don't buy into it, I still have a feeling that they were, in fact, more knowledgeable about the Bible than other Christian denomination. However, they too, like the magic undies and snake handling, have their fair share of crazy. What bothers me know, as a nonbeliever, is that they have their own translation of the "Holy Scriptures" which makes having discussions with them - in contrast to other Christians - a bit more difficult.

Just last week the old lady who comes and lectures my mom found me home alone. She handed me some magazines and asked me if I, too, read them. (A few weeks back she had given me a booklet on how the Bible can help adolescents in school; I courteously accepted it and just shelved it....well....who knows where I left it?) So, since I'm not a fan of lying, I told her that I hadn't read it. When she asked why, I told her the truth, that I didn't believe in god. Somehow I thought she'd say, "Oh okay. I respect that. I'll just come back later when your mom is home." But no. She and the other person she came with tried to convert me.

They rely heavily on a prophesy by Isaiah, who foretold the fall of Babylon. That, according to them, was the definitive proof that the Bible is the authoritative word of god. Of course, I was off guard. The majority of the population in Laredo, TX is Hispanic (myself included), and so the JW's teach in Spanish. However, I can't debate in Spanish, and so I pretty much made a fool out of myself >_< ...This is getting to long. Anyhow, any other former JW know how to "refute" this prophesy? It seemed to me that their entire trusting of the Bible comes from this and other "prophecies."

Ask them if Isaih predicted the EXACT TIME AND DATE when Babylon will fall, if not. It is safe to assume that they left it vague so that it will eventually come to pass. The fall of civilizations are inevitable, but I would really be impressed if Isaiah predicted it with stunning accuracy.

Actually Isaiah predicted the name of the King who led the attack. He also predicted that they wouldn't have to battle their way through the enormous walls. It's not that vague as I thought it would be. I read on Wikipedia that someone else might have added that "prophecy" into the text after the event happened, but I need concrete evidence.

"If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal." - Carl Sagan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 12:58 AM
RE: Why are Jehovah's Witness seen as crazier than other Christian denominations?
Forgive me if I am wrong, however I am pretty sure that it is pre-determined who is going to heaven and who is going to hell. Yet they also believe that they can change the god's mind about it by recruiting more people to their religion. How stupid can you get? I don't even see how this makes any sense even if you distort logic to the maximum.
Find all posts by this user
10-12-2012, 03:06 AM
In my experience (for whatever that's worth), it seems that a lot of mainstream christians look down on the Witnesses as a perversion of their religion. They view JW doctrine as a bastardization of "real" Christianity, started by one man - Charles Russell - which warps and misrepresents what they (mainstream christians) believe to be the "truth". For this reason, they like to throw the word "cult" around. Many atheists do too, but we tend to view ALL religions as cults, to some extent.

However, unfortunately for the witnesses, they take things a few blatantly cultish steps further. They try to control your medical needs (no blood), they try to control your means of entertainment ("worldly" movies, shows and songs are frowned upon), they try to control how you look (modest dress and grooming), and most cult-like of all, they encourage members to remain within the fold, and if someone should stray from the flock, they are exiled from their family and friends. This is a mind-control technique intended to remind the member what they have lost (love, togetherness, kinship) without Jehovah and his organization.

As a former witness (me as well), I'm sure you've seen and heard all of these things before, but when looked at objectively, these examples scream "CULT" more than do most other religious teachings. The teachings themselves aren't very different from other religions, but the supression of individuality, the mind-control, the outright brainwashing and the social seclusion are hallmarks of what we can define as a "cult".

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  That special Christian "look" dancefortwo 95 1,146 Yesterday 04:56 PM
Last Post: Anjele
  Dear Jefferson Bethke (the spoken word christian guy), JebusFreak 10 158 18-08-2014 08:51 AM
Last Post: JebusFreak
  Christian's gods offer same "Hobson's Choice" as ISIS Islamists Bucky Ball 2 99 17-08-2014 08:06 PM
Last Post: church_organ
  It's Dangerous to be a Christian Colourcraze 14 326 14-08-2014 12:22 PM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Was Hitler really a Christian TomLL 19 270 10-08-2014 09:56 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Mod destroyed my thread at Christian site. Fuck Christian forums Wicked Clown 17 380 08-08-2014 05:08 PM
Last Post: WindyCityJazz
  Loving Christian Pastor Says Ebola Can Solve Problems By Killing Off Atheists & Gays WindyCityJazz 7 154 08-08-2014 08:46 AM
Last Post: Impulse