Why are Jehovah's Witness seen as crazier than other Christian denominations?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Why are Jehovah's Witness seen as crazier than other Christian denominations?
I often hear terms like "crazy" and "cult" bandied about when the topic of JWs is brought up, and its always bothered me somewhat. Though I am an atheist now, I was brought up as a Witness, 4th generation in my family. Nearly every member of my family is or was one, and for the most part they are all happy and well adjusted people, as is essentially everyone I know from the church. Even my business partner is one. Two of my parents are university educated. None of them are crazy, or stupid.

I'm just curious as to why they are seen as crazier, more cultish, or more dangerous than other christian denominations. I suppose they are somewhat more xenophobic than others, and the whole blood transfusion thing is reprehensible, but the majority of their doctrine is no weirder than any other, and in some cases makes much more sense.

I'm not trying to defend their doctrines per se, anymore than I would defend the beliefs of any christian. But I cannot see why they are seen as more dangerous than other churches. Their indoctrination is no more severe, and they are generally much more benign.

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Pavlov's_Ape's post

Messages In This Thread
Why are Jehovah's Witness seen as crazier than other Christian denominations? - Pavlov's_Ape - 28-07-2012 12:10 PM