Why are Most black Americans Christian when

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Why are Most black Americans Christian when
Christianity formed the KKK, Justified Slavery and segregation, and fostered the Racial prejudice against us?(Curse of Ham)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aleprauchanist's post
03-03-2014, 12:09 AM
RE: Why are Most black Americans Christian when
(02-03-2014 10:48 PM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Christianity formed the KKK, Justified Slavery and segregation, and fostered the Racial prejudice against us?(Curse of Ham)

For the same reason why anybody believes in any religion: indoctrination.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
03-03-2014, 12:19 AM
Seems cultural to me. Chained up, whipped and worked to the bone for generations by slave-owners and needing something - anything - to cling to. So, after being broken down mentally by said slave-owners, they latched on to this Jesus fella. This incidental brainwashing and indoctrination was then passed down from parent to child as the strongly-held comfort that it was.

So says my hypothesis, anyway.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
03-03-2014, 12:47 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 12:54 AM by WindyCityJazz.)
Throughout it's entire history Christianity was spread by forcing it on other cultures. People were tortured and murdered if they did not give up their own cultural beliefs and worship the Christian god instead. African-Americans are hardly the first ones to have it done to them, and they were far from being the first slaves. Slavery goes back thousands of years, and the Bible itself condones slavery and says that slaves are to obey their masters. The question I ask is "Why should anyone follow a religion that is responsible for so much evil throughout history?"

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
03-03-2014, 03:04 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 03:21 AM by Dee.)
A very good question and a very complex question to answer.

Some might say, knowing early African American history, that African Americans survived slavery because of Christianity. Others might say it simply served as a control method. I believe it's both.

You might hear some of the answer in African American gospel songs, sung during and after emancipation, in a voice / s unique to any voice ever lifted in song to any God anywhere. The songs will haunt you. You can feel the pain, the aloneness, the hope lifted in those voices. I had the opportunity to hear old recordings.

That the early African American experience was one of aloneness, with children never knowing their fathers, fathers their children, and mothers seeing their children torn away always too early, must have been the most wretched experience they knew. The idea of a Christian death provided the promise of reunion, else how could they live.

I am not a theist, but I did study at university the answer to the question, and I live in the Southern U.S.

Still when you pass a southern African American church, especially in rural towns, you can hear those voices and know that is not a white church.

Sometimes I think, metaphorically speaking, African Americans are still looking for their lost children.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 2 users Like Dee's post
03-03-2014, 08:10 AM
(02-03-2014 10:48 PM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Christianity formed the KKK, Justified Slavery and segregation, and fostered the Racial prejudice against us?(Curse of Ham)

Christianity means a lot of different things to different people. I know a lot of Christians who would look at any of the above-mentioned things and call those people "not true Christians". I would imagine that black Christians would do something similar, and see those people as misusing Christianity for bad reasons, rather than it being an issue of Christianity being bad.

Also, I think culture has a lot to do with it. From what I've heard, it's far less acceptable for a black man to be homosexual than a white man, all other things being equal. I think it's pretty similar for religion, as well. I'm not sure why this is.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
03-03-2014, 08:23 AM
IMO it took a bit of time to stick.....the first arrivals weren't quick to give up their previously held beliefs, but when their family units were split, and stories and traditions could only be passed by word of mouth and they were limited in their practice of their old ways, and each generation received more of a Christian upbringing (thru force) and less and less of the ways of Africa. They really had no choice in it. Go after the children, brainwash them when they are young.

And really, the idea of a slave receiving salvation for "just believing" may have seemed like a good deal for someone who was trapped.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
03-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Don't forget that many of the original slaves were sold or captured by animist tribal leaders or Muslim slave traders. Room enough to blame other religions too.
Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
03-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Good point. It would only make sense that white, power and control hungry males would follow christianity. The religion is not kind to anyone else (women, minorities, different cultures...)

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
03-03-2014, 04:25 PM

Was it Chris Rock that said black Christians have a short memory?
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post