Why are Most black Americans Christian when

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2014, 05:07 PM
RE: Why are Most black Americans Christian when
My friend Samara told me once that she is a Christian because it's one of the few things she has that makes her black besides her skin. I think I get what she was trying to say, but I have a hard time understanding the importance of it. I don't hang on to things to validate my whiteness.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2014, 05:26 PM
(03-03-2014 12:19 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Seems cultural to me. Chained up, whipped and worked to the bone for generations by slave-owners and needing something - anything - to cling to. So, after being broken down mentally by said slave-owners, they latched on to this Jesus fella. This incidental brainwashing and indoctrination was then passed down from parent to child as the strongly-held comfort that it was.

So says my hypothesis, anyway.

Yes it can be easier to be indoctrinated when you're so mentally and physically abused by other human beings. Also, there were Quakers (Another sect of Christianity) that believed in racial equality and some of them helped slaves escape. So, I suppose that may have influenced some of their beliefs as well. Of course, while many Quakers were genuinely good people, the book that they based their beliefs on was just as fucked up as it always has been.
03-03-2014, 05:41 PM
(02-03-2014 10:48 PM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Christianity formed the KKK, Justified Slavery and segregation, and fostered the Racial prejudice against us?(Curse of Ham)

Christianity did none of those things. Christians did those things.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
03-03-2014, 08:29 PM
(03-03-2014 05:41 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 10:48 PM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Christianity formed the KKK, Justified Slavery and segregation, and fostered the Racial prejudice against us?(Curse of Ham)

Christianity did none of those things. Christians did those things.
You are correct about the KKK but Christianity certainly does justify slavery. And it's hard to deny the curse of ham part.
By the way is that why Jewish folks can't eat pigs? Smile
03-03-2014, 08:53 PM
During the 19th century religious 'awakenings' equality before god was a message that resonated with enslaved African Americans, as well as free blacks in the north. Note that African Americans belong disproportionately to Baptist, Methodist and Pentacostal congregations whose free and emotional worship styles were congruent with the traditions of their ancestors.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
03-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Marketing.

Xtianity promises that if you work hard you'll get your reward in the next life.

It is the perfect religion for slaves.

Meanwhile, the masters just clean up in this life.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
03-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Re: Why are Most black Americans Christian when
Christianity also inspired MLK Jr. and other civil rights movements, along with other beneficial causes to assist black Americans.

The real problems are simply because christianity is ingrained in the cultures as a positive force. There's sadly also a whole lot of poor education qualities in areas where large segments of black Americans live. Not everyone can see how to overcome indoctrination.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
04-03-2014, 02:06 AM
(03-03-2014 09:16 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Marketing.

Xtianity promises that if you work hard you'll get your reward in the next life.

Congratulations, you have won today's quiz.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
04-03-2014, 07:41 AM
(03-03-2014 09:16 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Marketing.

This reminds me of the first seven castles in Super Mario Bros.

"Sorry, adherent, but your reward is in another life."
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
04-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Why are Most black Americans Christian when
One Christianity / Islam is a abrahamic cult. We do realize Christianity invaded Europe correct and stole some of their pagan tales right ? Stop trying to win brownie points #caring

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TWITTERVANITYBONET's post