Why are atheists not campaigning solutions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2017, 11:34 AM
American Humanist will not allow me to comment on their Facebook posts, but they allow me to monitor their post. They posted a Pew Research survey of the religious doctrine of the incoming Congress.

Quote:The US is becoming less Christian, but Congress certainly isn't.

https://www.facebook.com/americanhumanis...9787250195

Quote:Pew Research: Faith on the Hill
The religious composition of the 115th Congress

http://www.pewforum.org/2017/01/03/faith...-hill-115/

My problem with AHA, and American Atheists is that when it comes to such an issue they do not offer a solution, which is proportional elections. And as you can read through the comments, none of the followers of the AHA posts offer a solution. All they want to do is complain, ultimately expecting their oppressors to deliberate a solution. Atheists are not showing their supposed superior reasoning abilities - why not? Why are atheists satisfied with just bitching and moaning, and claiming that they are better people than their oppressors???

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2017, 01:32 PM
RE: Why are atheists not campaigning solutions?
I would imagine there are far more atheists elected to public office than we are aware of; but they're in the closet. Even in the most liberal areas being an out-and-proud atheist is probably perceived as political suicide.

But I hear you, it's always 10lbs of gripe for every oz of solution, lol.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
04-01-2017, 01:36 PM
(04-01-2017 11:34 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  My problem with AHA, and American Atheists is that when it comes to such an issue they do not offer a solution, which is proportional elections.

What the fuck is a "proportional election", and how exactly would that work.
What are you measuring that you want proportionality about ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-01-2017, 12:47 PM
I can only speak for myself. I realized decades ago that the system is heavily biased against real and substantive change, and that the two parties are not all that different at the end of the day. Third parties are never going to help because of Duverger's Law.

Bernie Sanders, while he was a remotely viable candidate, gave me a brief glimmer of hope that a real change agent could be installed but the Democratic elites won that battle and as a result, lost the whole damned war. It also exposed the lack of ground game at the local and state levels.

I'll be 60 in a couple of months and honestly the level of ignorance and banality and high level corruption at the DNC and so forth has left me exhausted. I'm too old for this shit. I am tired of being peppered by a dozen different progressive organizations for $$ and attendance at marches; it's all I can do to get my work done and deal with unending and unwanted family dramas. I am not going to go to DC and freeze in a crowd of protesters at this point in my life, for uncertain ends.

In a couple of weeks I will officially be a citizen of Trumpistan and whatever was left of America is in my view pretty much dead and gone. America has chosen to enter a very dangerous experiment in "shaking things up" and this time next year for all I know, I could be arrested for a post like this or just living in an 1850s post-nuclear dystopia where people are rapidly forgetting what the Internet was. Or more likely, I will just be keeping to my Happy Place while the world burns in less overt ways.

When large numbers of people can't see and vote their own rational self interest, no matter how obviously it's put before them, you have a problem way bigger than you personally. We deserve what we are collectively getting. Thanks 'Murica. God shit his grace on thee.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
08-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Because they don't have the values you have that you for some reason think every other atheist or organization SHOULD have despite not knowing their desires and motives which differ from yours.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-01-2017, 06:18 PM
(08-01-2017 06:08 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Because they don't have the values you have that you for some reason think every other atheist or organization SHOULD have despite not knowing their desires and motives which differ from yours.

Then why are they complaining in unison???
Consider

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
08-01-2017, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2017 06:22 PM by ClydeLee.)
(08-01-2017 06:18 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(08-01-2017 06:08 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Because they don't have the values you have that you for some reason think every other atheist or organization SHOULD have despite not knowing their desires and motives which differ from yours.

Then why are they complaining in unison???
Consider
I didn't know acknowledging reality was complaining

They also as non profit groups you know can't legally create a lot of actual support directed toward specific people trying to be elected.

If that was their goal ad people running the groups maybe they'd make atheist promoting superpacs and not non profit organizations doing far more than focusing on elections.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Yeah. Complaining about reality is probably the first step to changing it - genius. The reality that you do not want to recognize is that atheists cannot get beyond the first step to that of offering a correction.