Why are churches and sects above the law?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2012, 10:27 AM
RE: Why are churches and sects above the law?
(20-05-2012 09:02 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I can't tell who has their hate on for religion and who's just a good ol' fashioned neo-Conservative Cool

I found it usually helpful to look on how people use adjectives and faulty generalizations
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ahoy's post
20-05-2012, 10:56 AM
(20-05-2012 09:02 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I can't tell who has their hate on for religion and who's just a good ol' fashioned neo-Conservative Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Does the sociologist want to debate specifics?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
20-05-2012, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2012 11:05 AM by Thomas.)
(20-05-2012 10:27 AM)ahoy Wrote:  

I found it usually helpful to look on how people use adjectives and faulty generalizations
It's called the Fallacy of Composition. Social Scientist use this as a tool for Confirmation Bias.
...and let's not forget good old Ad Hominem Attacks to defend Pretense of Knowledge.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
20-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Appears that the Ghost has dissappeared.

20-05-2012, 06:55 PM
The Ghost departs a thread when it feels that nothing more it says will result in a successful transfer of knowledge from it to thee, I think.

As for Scientology, I think there are reasons to be concerned about some of their practices. Here is a report from a reputable outlet in Australia: http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2...378641.htm

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
21-05-2012, 12:04 PM
I leave a thread when I leave a thread.

Thomas, to be honest, I felt the conversation had wound down and that you were just being pithy. The fact that you wanted an answer boggles my mind because I'm not a sociologist. Sooooo buttons.

Then you made some crack about ad homs and I assumed that you had just huffed some glue.

What I said was a joke. Haha. We're all laughing, right? No? Is this thing on? Take my wife, please.

Matt
21-05-2012, 05:37 PM
(21-05-2012 12:04 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I leave a thread when I leave a thread.

Thomas, to be honest, I felt the conversation had wound down and that you were just being pithy. The fact that you wanted an answer boggles my mind because I'm not a sociologist. Sooooo buttons.

Then you made some crack about ad homs and I assumed that you had just huffed some glue.

What I said was a joke. Haha. We're all laughing, right? No? Is this thing on? Take my wife, please.

Matt
I sense a junior academic with you. Perhaps you are missing your calling.

21-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Y'know, Thomas, I haven't been able to get a read on you. I can't tell if you're being insulting or if that's just your sense of humour. Normally I'd just open a can of whupass, but I'm having a Jules and Pumpkin Pulp Fiction moment right now, so I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt. If you're being insulting, you and me are gonna have words. If you're joking around, I don't quite think you know me like that, so I'm just suggesting that you ease up a bit cuz it's coming across poorly.

Matt
22-05-2012, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2012 06:24 PM by Thomas.)
(21-05-2012 07:59 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Y'know, Thomas, I haven't been able to get a read on you. I can't tell if you're being insulting or if that's just your sense of humour. Normally I'd just open a can of whupass, but I'm having a Jules and Pumpkin Pulp Fiction moment right now, so I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt. If you're being insulting, you and me are gonna have words. If you're joking around, I don't quite think you know me like that, so I'm just suggesting that you ease up a bit cuz it's coming across poorly.

Matt

I believe you tried to make a sarcastic comment, then tried to back out when I asked you to explain what you meant.
My original response to the thread was that I believe it is time to revisit the tax exempt status of religious institutions as well as others.
This is a serious question. Do you have a serious opinion?

Nevermind, just put you on my ignore list.
Peace, love and empathy...

22-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Hey, Thomas.

Oh good. That works out perfect. Now you won't have to read me writing about how terrible all of your posts are and I can just go ahead and ignore you from now on. Phwewf. Glad to get that one all sorted out. That's a load off my shoulders let me tell you, yessiree Bob.

Mmmmm, and using my signature at the end? Let me tell you, oh shit I can't, you're ignoring me, anyhoo, let me tell you, that's so fresh. Like a spring breeze of witty goodness. I'll be certain to never wish nice things for you.