Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2013, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2013 01:04 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?
Bigfoot, aliens, Nessie, the JFK assassination, Flouride in the drinking water, 9/11, power lines & cell phones, Birthers, Flat Earthers, Illuminati, Anti Vaccers, Faked Moon Landings, Tesla tech, faked holocaust, satanic messages in records, Chupacabra, mind control, Atlantis, Reptilian Shapeshifters, FEMA Camps and Guillotines, Chemtrails, Conservapedia, HAARP, and those are just the one that come off the top of my head!

What the hell leads so many people to believing such asinine nonsense?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2013, 09:37 PM
RE: Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?
It's because we are all a bunch of sketch bags addicted to our woo.

Anything to get the adrenaline pumping
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
15-05-2013, 09:52 PM
.....the internet. That's why.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
15-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Re: Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?
I thought you meant literally today
15-05-2013, 10:47 PM
(15-05-2013 09:29 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Bigfoot, aliens, Nessie, the JFK assassination, Flouride in the drinking water, 9/11, power lines & cell phones, Birthers, Flat Earthers, Illuminati, Anti Vaccers, Faked Moon Landings, Tesla tech, faked holocaust, satanic messages in records, Chupacabra, mind control, Atlantis, Reptilian Shapeshifters, FEMA Camps and Guillotines, Chemtrails, Conservapedia, HAARP, and those are just the one that come off the top of my head!

What the hell makes so many people to believing such asinine nonsense?

Cuz they're all 100 % true, that's why. Just ask I and I. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-05-2013, 11:02 PM
(15-05-2013 09:52 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  .....the internet. That's why.

Exactly right. The internet is as much a burden to rational thought these days as it is a blessing. The whack jobs have always been out there, though, and I'm hoping that I'm not too optimistic in saying that there seems to be a slight popularity increase in sites and/or programs that encourage a little more reasonable approach to the world at large.

I could be horribly wrong, however....it could just be that my more recent delve into rationality has exposed me to these resources. I hope not. Confused

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
15-05-2013, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2013 11:25 PM by fstratzero.)
(15-05-2013 11:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 09:52 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  .....the internet. That's why.

Exactly right. The internet is as much a burden to rational thought these days as it is a blessing. The whack jobs have always been out there, though, and I'm hoping that I'm not too optimistic in saying that there seems to be a slight popularity increase in sites and/or programs that encourage a little more reasonable approach to the world at large.

I could be horribly wrong, however....it could just be that my more recent delve into rationality has exposed me to these resources. I hope not. Confused

Not really....

Before the internet people always thought the government was more advanced than the public knew about. Aliens, Kennedy assassination, TWA Flight 800, UFO's and Abductees was huge, the idea satanic cults were murdering kids etc..

The conspiracy theory thing has been apart of American culture for a long time.

In fact I just found a book The Rockefeller Files from 1976...

It's just that in the modern era it's much easier to put out conspiracy theory ideas than it used to be.

Here is a guy talking about his experience in the 80's
http://www.sovereignlife.com/essays/the-...-trap.html

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
15-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Because people suck at telling reality from fantasy.

Although i guess some of them aren't quite as obvious.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
15-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Because humans are quite adaptable Undecided
Used to be "evil spirits" haunting Sherwood Forest. Now it's MI-6 doing training exercises with alien technology Dodgy
Surprised I haven't seen an Ancient Aliens episode about "Robin Hood", yet! Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
16-05-2013, 12:26 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2013 12:29 AM by evenheathen.)
(15-05-2013 11:14 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 11:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Exactly right. The internet is as much a burden to rational thought these days as it is a blessing. The whack jobs have always been out there, though, and I'm hoping that I'm not too optimistic in saying that there seems to be a slight popularity increase in sites and/or programs that encourage a little more reasonable approach to the world at large.

Not really....

Before the internet people always thought the government was more advanced than the public knew about. Aliens, Kennedy assassination, TWA Flight 800, UFO's and Abductees was huge, the idea satanic cults were murdering kids etc..

The conspiracy theory thing has been apart of American culture for a long time.

In fact I just found a book The Rockefeller Files from 1976...

It's just that in the modern era it's much easier to put out conspiracy theory ideas than it used to be.

Here is a guy talking about his experience in the 80's
http://www.sovereignlife.com/essays/the-...-trap.html

I guess we're just right where we started. The conspiracy theory has always been there. That's true. But the general public generally accepted the news as reported as actual fact because it was the only source they had. A person's access to information was very limited whereas today it is virtually unlimited. The major difference today is the number of people who are persuaded by major media to buy into the mass marketed conspiracy theories is a majority, as opposed to those who are coaxed into thinking for themselves (I know that sounds oxymoronish). The opportunity for both is very prevalent on the interwebz, it's just a matter of who gets to who first.

edit: I'm not sure if I made any point whatsoever in this post. This is my last drink, I promise, I'm going to bed.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post