Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2013, 01:16 AM
RE: Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?
People are more willing to believe or not believe something only if they are told by their church or government (functions like a church) tells them what to believe or not to believe.

You can see it here on this forum, when someone says something, they correctly say "I want proof" however what they call "proof" tends to be some government confirmation. If there is no government confirmation of x claim than it is not believed and can be labelled a conspiracy theory, therefore the anti-conspiracy position is basically a pro-government position. The cave dwellers coordinating a massive breach of U.S. security on 9-11 theory is accepted not because there is actual proof but only because papa gov says so. This (we love papa gov) position is one of, it is correct simply because the government said it.

For example: If I were to say..."since nobody that we know has seen a god, except for the very few who claim they have, and since there has never been any evidence for a god, this is a reason to doubt the existence of a god. This is a logical conclusion......however when talking about the video footage of the plane hitting the pentagon and why it hasn't been released. This logic is not used in this instance, instead, many people here revert to bullshit excuses similar to religious peeps excuses for why nobody has seen a god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
16-05-2013, 07:22 AM
People also like conspiracy theories because it gives them a feeling of having "special", elite knowledge and information that no one else has.

You know, like when you were on the playground as a kid doing the whole "I know something you don't...." sing-song? Tongue

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
16-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Quote: The cave dwellers coordinating a massive breach of U.S. security on 9-11 theory is accepted not because there is actual proof but only because papa gov says so. This (we love papa gov) position is one of, it is correct simply because the government said it.

I'm glad you know me so well, and everyone else here. Do you have any actual evidence of a coverup? Until some is presented I will reserve judgment on the matter.

Do I trust the govt? Not in the least. However I am in no position to accuse or spread unfounded rumors. I do find it fishy that no footage has been released, but I won't play into fear mongering rhetoric because of it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
16-05-2013, 08:31 AM
(16-05-2013 01:16 AM)I and I Wrote:  ....however when talking about the video footage of the plane hitting the pentagon and why it hasn't been released.
So, you are making the claim that there is video footage besides what we have seen?

Can you point us to something that indicates the existence of this footage?
I'm asking a legitimate question. I have never heard that there was or was not any additional footage, so I'm starting at point zero. The default logical position.

16-05-2013, 08:32 AM
(16-05-2013 08:03 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
Quote: The cave dwellers coordinating a massive breach of U.S. security on 9-11 theory is accepted not because there is actual proof but only because papa gov says so. This (we love papa gov) position is one of, it is correct simply because the government said it.

I'm glad you know me so well, and everyone else here. Do you have any actual evidence of a coverup? Until some is presented I will reserve judgment on the matter.

Do I trust the govt? Not in the least. However I am in no position to accuse or spread unfounded rumors. I do find it fishy that no footage has been released, but I won't play into fear mongering rhetoric because of it.

What kind of evidence do you need? Isn't the idea of a god being everywhere at one time sound just as ludicrous as some of papa govs 9-11 stories? One of papa govs tales is that one of the hijackers was known because his I'd was found on the ground, in good enough shape to be identifiable.

Come the fuck on people
16-05-2013, 08:34 AM
(16-05-2013 08:31 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(16-05-2013 01:16 AM)I and I Wrote:  ....however when talking about the video footage of the plane hitting the pentagon and why it hasn't been released.
So, you are making the claim that there is video footage besides what we have seen?

I'm asking a legitimate question. I have never heard that there was or was not any additional footage, so I'm starting at point zero. The default logical position.

I am making the claim that the pentagon has security cameras all over that area. Yes that is my claim.
16-05-2013, 08:45 AM
(16-05-2013 08:34 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(16-05-2013 08:31 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  So, you are making the claim that there is video footage besides what we have seen?

I am making the claim that the pentagon has security cameras all over that area. Yes that is my claim.
Ok, that's a perfectly legitimate claim.

I've never been to the pentagon or really looked at detailed photos of it. Can you show us these cameras and where they're located?

Again, point zero. I'm not assuming that there are or are not cameras all over the place.

[+] 2 users Like LostLocke's post
16-05-2013, 08:52 AM
(16-05-2013 08:32 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(16-05-2013 08:03 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'm glad you know me so well, and everyone else here. Do you have any actual evidence of a coverup? Until some is presented I will reserve judgment on the matter.

What kind of evidence do you need? Isn't the idea of a god being everywhere at one time sound just as ludicrous as some of papa govs 9-11 stories? One of papa govs tales is that one of the hijackers was known because his I'd was found on the ground, in good enough shape to be identifiable.

Come the fuck on people

Sure, it does sound ludicrous. What do you propose I do now? Start a club?

I do my best to stay informed and keep a skeptical mind about what info I take in.

Let me know when you want to march on the hill and I'll bring my torch and pitchfork.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
16-05-2013, 09:44 AM
I think when really bad happens, people often don't want to believe the truth that things happen for no valid reason...Some people are already wary of the government anyway, so some jackoff with a half-baked idea (can't even call it a theory) says otherwise, people go running off to believe them.

It doesn't just apply to bad things...I can apply to "good" things too like advances in technologies or even the basic human nature to invent.

I've heard that because engineers today can't understand how the pyramids were built, it must have been something else or that the US was incapable of landing on the moon in 1969 (dunno what they say about subsequent trips). Or that the microchip is alien technology.

There has always been periods when humans have exceeded their programing, only to have future generations completely forget how it was done.

I think it's the same type of people who believe in Nostradamus, or that silly bible code...The same ones who claim they those texts contained stuff about 9/11 and exactly where they on 9/10?

Our history is rife with this kind of shit.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-05-2013, 12:17 PM
I would say that conspiracy theories have always been around and id be interested to see what your source your information from on them increasing in popularity... or is it just an opinion? Either I find is just as relevant because I myself have noticed more people questioning things and I think this in itself is a good thing.

I think the biggest "fuel" is the internet. Now instead of people simply watching TV, reading newspapers to gain most of their news and current day happenings we have multiple sources, opinions and angles. We have the biggest news corporations to the lone blogger all at our access at the stroke of a few keys and a click of a mouse.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post