Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2013, 12:47 PM
RE: Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?
The internet helps educate us and provides resources so we can more easily debunk theories, but it also connects everyone to the theories in the first place, and hosts a lot of information that can be very deceiving. It is a lot easier to watch a ten minute video and be barraged with "facts" than it is to research the science and read the source materials yourself.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Because governments are lacing the water supplies with chemicals that turn people into morons. Duh.

Frankie de la Cunto
16-05-2013, 01:31 PM
I think trust, like every other possible personality trait, runs on a continuum and you have people who trust everyone all the time about everything at one end and people who trust no one ever about anything at the other end, with all varying degrees in between. The people at the non-trusting end are likely the ones who come up with these conspiracy theories and probably do so in combination with other factors such as having too much time on their hands. In the past, their conspiracy theories would have died early, but today with the internet, word gets out and can easily reach many people at the same non-trust end of the continuum. So they easily buy into the theories and the ball gets rolling.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
16-05-2013, 02:19 PM
(16-05-2013 12:55 PM)frankiej Wrote:  Because governments are lacing the water supplies with chemicals that turn people into morons. Duh.

I just read that somewhere. Ironic or timely?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?
What is a conspiracy theory? Do governments tell conspiracy theories? Is the idea that we are sending drones and soldiers over seas to fight terrorism a conspiracy theory?
16-05-2013, 09:18 PM
(16-05-2013 02:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(16-05-2013 12:55 PM)frankiej Wrote:  Because governments are lacing the water supplies with chemicals that turn people into morons. Duh.

I just read that somewhere. Ironic or timely?
Timely because they wanted you to see it at that moment so you would think it's ironic and then go all

[Image: great-scott-doc-back-to-the-future-drawing.jpeg]

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
16-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Could be Cheap! Lol

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-05-2013, 11:31 PM
(15-05-2013 09:29 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  What the hell leads so many people to believing such asinine nonsense?

They're an obsessive compulsion.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-05-2013, 08:07 AM
They're not. Access to nearly unlimited information and the ability to form virtual communities give the illusion of popularity.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-05-2013, 08:29 AM
(16-05-2013 08:57 PM)I and I Wrote:  Is the idea that we are sending drones and soldiers over seas to fight terrorism a conspiracy theory?
Depends.

I looked up a bunch of definitions of conspiracy just to get an idea.

One thing they all agreed on was that a conspiracy requires at least two people involved. (IE, one person can not commit a conspiracy)

Most of them said that a conspiracy implies something done in secret or with out anyone's knowledge.
In that case, no, sending those things over seas is not a conspiracy since no one is keeping it a secret.

Others said that a conspiracy is a plot to commit an illegal, immoral, or subversive act regardless of it being secret or not.
Under that, yeah, there could be an argument that sending those things is a conspiracy.

And the most basic definition was it being 2 or people planning an action, with no regards to secrecy or illegality.
In that case, just calling up your friends and deciding to go to the movies itself would be a conspiracy, which would mean conspiracies are happening all the time, everywhere, to everybody. Tongue

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]