Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2013, 10:46 AM
RE: Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?
(17-05-2013 08:07 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  They're not. Access to nearly unlimited information and the ability to form virtual communities give the illusion of popularity.

So, you're arguing that the ability to make information available to more people at a significantly lower cost doesn't increase the total number of consumers of said information.

Let's extract that and apply it elsewhere...

Atheism isn't gaining popularity. The interwebz just made it look so.

Confused

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2013, 12:39 PM
(17-05-2013 10:46 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 08:07 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  They're not. Access to nearly unlimited information and the ability to form virtual communities give the illusion of popularity.

So, you're arguing that the ability to make information available to more people at a significantly lower cost doesn't increase the total number of consumers of said information.

Let's extract that and apply it elsewhere...

Atheism isn't gaining popularity. The interwebz just made it look so.

Confused

Don't be pissing in my cheerios...Weeping

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
17-05-2013, 01:10 PM
(17-05-2013 10:46 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  

No. Asshole. Big Grin

living word
17-05-2013, 01:12 PM
(17-05-2013 01:10 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 10:46 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  So, you're arguing that the ability to make information available to more people at a significantly lower cost doesn't increase the total number of consumers of said information.

No. Asshole. Big Grin

So.... you were making a youtube comment?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
17-05-2013, 01:32 PM
(17-05-2013 01:12 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 01:10 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  No. Asshole. Big Grin

So.... you were making a youtube comment?

No. Tongue

Comment specific to OP.

living word
17-05-2013, 03:02 PM
(15-05-2013 09:29 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Bigfoot, aliens, Nessie, the JFK assassination, Flouride in the drinking water, 9/11, power lines & cell phones, Birthers, Flat Earthers, Illuminati, Anti Vaccers, Faked Moon Landings, Tesla tech, faked holocaust, satanic messages in records, Chupacabra, mind control, Atlantis, Reptilian Shapeshifters, FEMA Camps and Guillotines, Chemtrails, Conservapedia, HAARP, and those are just the one that come off the top of my head!

What the hell leads so many people to believing such asinine nonsense?

There is no direction to evolution; nature clears the way for adaptation.
If a species' particular means of adaptation is it's brain, it might work toward upgrading that brain.
Or not. Dodgy

You might want to add religion to that list. Just sayin'.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Do governments profess conspiracy theories?
17-05-2013, 06:54 PM
(17-05-2013 06:21 PM)I and I Wrote:  Do governments profess conspiracy theories?
(17-05-2013 08:29 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(16-05-2013 08:57 PM)I and I Wrote:  Is the idea that we are sending drones and soldiers over seas to fight terrorism a conspiracy theory?
Depends.

I looked up a bunch of definitions of conspiracy just to get an idea.

One thing they all agreed on was that a conspiracy requires at least two people involved. (IE, one person can not commit a conspiracy)

Most of them said that a conspiracy implies something done in secret or with out anyone's knowledge.
In that case, no, sending those things over seas is not a conspiracy since no one is keeping it a secret.

Others said that a conspiracy is a plot to commit an illegal, immoral, or subversive act regardless of it being secret or not.
Under that, yeah, there could be an argument that sending those things is a conspiracy.

And the most basic definition was it being 2 or people planning an action, with no regards to secrecy or illegality.
In that case, just calling up your friends and deciding to go to the movies itself would be a conspiracy, which would mean conspiracies are happening all the time, everywhere, to everybody. Tongue
Oy, I can't believe I had to quote myself Undecided, but since you passed it over the first time...

Depends, if you go with conspiracies being something secret, then no, governments do not profess conspiracy theories because once you profess something it's no longer a secret and therefore disqualifies it from being a conspiracy.

If you go with the second definition, then again no, governments won't profess it because they're not going to admit to doing something illegal, immoral, or subversive.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
17-05-2013, 07:07 PM
i have looked at quite a few of those conspiracy videos. i think the reason they are popular is the same reason that religions are. people need something to fill the void. the vids have the same ol tricks used by religions and ancient alien episodes. here are some facts, heres a theory, heres some flat out lies justifying that theory. the truth is stranger than fiction they say and im inclined to agree. could reptiles be walking amoung us, sure why not. do i think they are? why arent we on platters already? oh theyre emotion vampires.........k. binging on conspiracy vids creates a psychosis in the mind where if it may be true it must be. that being said there are many dirty deeds being done behind closed doors, and it is hard to find any one cause for the worlds suffering. in simplicity, there is a small feeling of closure and "enlightenment" for the chance for some to put a face on the devil if you will. just my thought on it.

something cliche about stuffEvil_monster
18-05-2013, 01:46 AM
(17-05-2013 06:21 PM)I and I Wrote:  Do governments profess conspiracy theories?

Disinformation agent. Angel

living word