Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2013, 09:19 AM
(17-05-2013 07:07 PM)jetbebop Wrote:  i have looked at quite a few of those conspiracy videos. i think the reason they are popular is the same reason that religions are. people need something to fill the void. the vids have the same ol tricks used by religions and ancient alien episodes. here are some facts, heres a theory, heres some flat out lies justifying that theory. the truth is stranger than fiction they say and im inclined to agree. could reptiles be walking amoung us, sure why not. do i think they are? why arent we on platters already? oh theyre emotion vampires.........k. binging on conspiracy vids creates a psychosis in the mind where if it may be true it must be. that being said there are many dirty deeds being done behind closed doors, and it is hard to find any one cause for the worlds suffering. in simplicity, there is a small feeling of closure and "enlightenment" for the chance for some to put a face on the devil if you will. just my thought on it.

Because questioning the government is the same as believing in a flying sky god......WHAT THE MOTHER FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2013, 09:22 AM
(17-05-2013 06:54 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 06:21 PM)I and I Wrote:  Do governments profess conspiracy theories?
(17-05-2013 08:29 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  Depends.

I looked up a bunch of definitions of conspiracy just to get an idea.

One thing they all agreed on was that a conspiracy requires at least two people involved. (IE, one person can not commit a conspiracy)

Most of them said that a conspiracy implies something done in secret or with out anyone's knowledge.
In that case, no, sending those things over seas is not a conspiracy since no one is keeping it a secret.

Others said that a conspiracy is a plot to commit an illegal, immoral, or subversive act regardless of it being secret or not.
Under that, yeah, there could be an argument that sending those things is a conspiracy.

And the most basic definition was it being 2 or people planning an action, with no regards to secrecy or illegality.
In that case, just calling up your friends and deciding to go to the movies itself would be a conspiracy, which would mean conspiracies are happening all the time, everywhere, to everybody. :P
Oy, I can't believe I had to quote myself :-/, but since you passed it over the first time...

Depends, if you go with conspiracies being something secret, then no, governments do not profess conspiracy theories because once you profess something it's no longer a secret and therefore disqualifies it from being a conspiracy.

If you go with the second definition, then again no, governments won't profess it because they're not going to admit to doing something illegal, immoral, or subversive.

So the government doesn't pull shit out of their ass and try to get people to believe in conspiracy theories.....like Irans supposed nukes or Hussein's WMD. Since when was questioning the government a bad thing to atheists?
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
18-05-2013, 10:17 AM
RE: Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?
(15-05-2013 09:29 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Bigfoot, aliens, Nessie, the JFK assassination, Flouride in the drinking water, 9/11, power lines & cell phones, Birthers, Flat Earthers, Illuminati, Anti Vaccers, Faked Moon Landings, Tesla tech, faked holocaust, satanic messages in records, Chupacabra, mind control, Atlantis, Reptilian Shapeshifters, FEMA Camps and Guillotines, Chemtrails, Conservapedia, HAARP, and those are just the one that come off the top of my head!

What the hell leads so many people to believing such asinine nonsense?

XKCD has something to say on pretty much everything.
[Image: conspiracy_theories.png]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-05-2013, 07:27 AM
(15-05-2013 09:29 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Bigfoot, aliens, Nessie, the JFK assassination, Flouride in the drinking water, 9/11, power lines & cell phones, Birthers, Flat Earthers, Illuminati, Anti Vaccers, Faked Moon Landings, Tesla tech, faked holocaust, satanic messages in records, Chupacabra, mind control, Atlantis, Reptilian Shapeshifters, FEMA Camps and Guillotines, Chemtrails, Conservapedia, HAARP, and those are just the one that come off the top of my head!

What the hell leads so many people to believing such asinine nonsense?

Yes, it is nonsense and a most dangerous nonsense for it detracts from the real conspiracies that the USA and others have concocted.

Yes folks, conspiracies do happen, but not with the frequency that the Alex Jones's of the world would like you to believe.

However, here are a few real conspiracies to make you think:

The Business Plot
Operation Ajax
The Tuskegee Experiment
Operation Snow White
Operation Northwoods (thank goodness this one was shelved early)
Tonkin Gulf Engagement (and subsequent War)
Watergate
Iran–Contra
Iraq Weapons of Mass Destruction (and subsequent War)

Many others....

Now, whey do people tend to see so many events as driven by conspiracies? Well...I think it's because they can't quite believe how things can get so FUBAR without anyone actually intentionally orchestrating the events with that intent in mind. There minds just can't grasp it. Like children or the immature, they insist on an easy-to-understand and concrete answer for everything. Conspiracy Theories fill this need for these types.
[+] 1 user Likes Julius's post
23-05-2013, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2013 01:44 PM by viking.)
Oh my you all missed the biggest conspiracy canard of all! First of all Communist conspiracies. I'm not even talking about america post 1950 but if you actually read marx and lenin and trotsky, how they planned it and how they operated, pretty amazing. They succeeded in Russia (because the tsar was too soft and sent them to exile for a year or two rather than murder them as they did to anyone even suspected of being a counter/revolutionary, when they came to power).

You neglected Paul Warburg and the Federal Reserve, the Red Shields of Frankfurt and London and Paris and Vienna and Italy, making wars, and you forgot about Jacob's Schiff, funding Japan against the tsar and funding Trotsky. I understand none of these are conspiracies per se but historic realities. Communism was actually at hitler's doorstep, there having been various "uprisings" in this time, such as in Hamburg, and Bavaria, and he couldn't have been unaware of Red Terror and Trotsky, so I find people's historical knowledge to not only be low, but almost deserve a negative score.

I see so many SYMPTOMS of decay and corruption of our society, and hypocrisy so I understand the CTers but I fault them for another reason- for lacking critical thinking skills and understanding of history. They are not rational and deep. They probably watch too much television or too many movies.

Not one of you mentioned the biggest canard, the conspiracy of the tribe. After al all there"s is an ethnic group that is super self-conscious, super organized and not too poor, dispersed and integrated among the nations, which has led social movements in the United States and been among it's leading "intellectuals" and critiquers. Their very scriptures are as genocidal and ethnocentric as any Nazi/ see Isaiah 61 for example. Moreover, if anyone is too critical of them, if they have a career in the public sphere, look out. They are uncriticizable. They are regarded with awe and reverence in a hush hush tone, and never, ever mention the H word except in meekness. To even write about conspiracy theories and ignore this elephant of CTs is beyond sense to me. After all it is an eternal theory, resulting in least 109 expulsions in history, fooling some of the greatest minds as well, such as Ford and Wagner and Luther, not to mention having scary large organizations with many offices in many cities whose sole function is to monitor criticism of this group-warriors of defamation we could call them. It is strange that this is omitted in any discussion on CT.

by the way do you want to know who else was a conspiracy theory proponent? John Fitzgerald Kennedy, who made this speech while still alive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdP4tOXvI10
23-05-2013, 01:54 PM
This is interesting, found it today from a Soviet Defector. https://mcalvanyintelligenceadvisor.com/...malization

Demoralization is the first step. Prussian military Theorist Carl von Clausewitz wrote much about morale in war, and on my kindle I have US military books on psychological warfare. I know this was used extensively by all sides in the second terrible world war.

You should be a conspiracy thinker and historical revisionist but you should base your thinking on solid data points. Go first of all to where you know the information is legitimate. put 2 and 2 together, and put down the remote. Sorry I'm hard, but your freedom is my freedom. your awareness and intelligence is my defense too. I"m not saying this as a believer but it's true- what you hear in your ear, shout from the rooftop. To me I think it all comes down to the policy of the ruling empire, and I think a financial empire might exist. At least it damn well did in the 1800s after napoleon. Just look at all the senseless internecine warfare, between brothers. look at the destruction of races- at civilization building races. Look at the atomization of society, the loss of identity and pride in self and race. Look at junk music being played on the radio and they ignore great new music by the likes of people like Epica. Look at Ruby Ridge. I studied that. I don't know anything about Waco. Look at political correctness at the universities. If you're older, get in touch with the young and get to know their world, their reality tunnel and their level of important knowledge compared with what you knew as a child.

I am becoming moralized, vitalized, focused and directed. One man said he always wondered what Quixote would be like if he were alive today. So maybe you see me that way as well. The Chinese have a quote- you may not be interested in psychological warfare, but psychological warfare is interested in you.
22-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Well, can't it be that the truth is coming out?

Years ago I was ridiculed when I told conspiracy stuff, now not anymore.

Sadly, a lot of this is inappropiately bundled together.

So, people assume that if I am into conspiracies, I also believe lvis is alive and well! And I don't believe that at all.

But if people knew were the term conspiracy theory came from, they would react diffrently

The term was once invented by the cia, to ridicule people who thinkt critically about the jfk assasination.

And of course the term is now used by mainstream media.because they are a huge part of the global conspiracy!

There is NO INDEPENDENT MAINSTREAM PRESS.

So, they indoctrinate people not to go 'there'
22-02-2016, 01:35 PM
(22-02-2016 01:30 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  Well, can't it be that the truth is coming out?

No.

(22-02-2016 01:30 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  The term was once invented by the cia, to ridicule people who thinkt critically about the jfk assasination.

The people who think critically about the JFK assassination invariably reach the conclusion that it was Oswald.

(22-02-2016 01:30 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  And of course the term is now used by mainstream media.because they are a huge part of the global conspiracy!

There is NO INDEPENDENT MAINSTREAM PRESS.

So, they indoctrinate people not to go 'there'

You are insane. Seek help.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
22-02-2016, 01:56 PM
Quote:No.

wow! Oh well ok, just 'no' won't do of course.
Why do you think this?

Quote:The people who think critically about the JFK assassination invariably reach the conclusion that it was Oswald.
[/quote]

That is absolutely untrue.

Quote:You are insane. Seek help.

Can you explain why you are saying this?

And what kind of help are you talking about? psychiatry won't help because that is mostly a hoax too.
22-02-2016, 01:59 PM
(22-02-2016 01:56 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  Can you explain why you are saying this?

Because, if you honestly believe that the entire mainstream media is controlled by some monolithic global power, you are either very, very stupid or genuinely mentally ill. Paranoid delusions are a hallmark of many issues which require treatment to manage.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt as regards your intelligence.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post