Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2016, 02:26 PM
RE: Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?
(22-02-2016 01:59 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 01:56 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  Can you explain why you are saying this?

Because, if you honestly believe that the entire mainstream media is controlled by some monolithic global power, you are either very, very stupid or genuinely mentally ill. Paranoid delusions are a hallmark of many issues which require treatment to manage.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt as regards your intelligence.

of course ending with an ad hominem of course.

well, yes, the whole mainstream is controlled by some monolithic global power.

It is not so difficult as you might htink.

You only need people into the conspiracy on key positions.

do you really really think there is a free press? Then you are insane in my book.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2016, 02:29 PM
(22-02-2016 02:26 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  do you really really think there is a free press? Then you are insane in my book.

I'm sure.

Goodbye.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
22-02-2016, 02:30 PM
(22-02-2016 01:30 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  The term was once invented by the cia, to ridicule people who thinkt critically about the jfk assasination.

If you meant the CIA originated that phrase, you are wrong.

"The Oxford English Dictionary defines conspiracy theory as "the theory that an event or phenomenon occurs as a result of a conspiracy between interested parties;
spec. a belief that some covert but influential agency (typically political in motivation and oppressive in intent) is responsible for an unexplained event",
and cites a 1909 article in The American Historical Review as the earliest usage example."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Dont listen to Chas. Hes in on it. *whispers* Illuminati
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
22-02-2016, 02:31 PM
(22-02-2016 02:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 01:30 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  The term was once invented by the cia, to ridicule people who thinkt critically about the jfk assasination.

If you meant the CIA originated that phrase, you are wrong.

"The Oxford English Dictionary defines conspiracy theory as "the theory that an event or phenomenon occurs as a result of a conspiracy between interested parties;
spec. a belief that some covert but influential agency (typically political in motivation and oppressive in intent) is responsible for an unexplained event",
and cites a 1909 article in The American Historical Review as the earliest usage example."

ok, well thanks , I will look into that.
22-02-2016, 02:32 PM
(22-02-2016 02:29 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 02:26 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  do you really really think there is a free press? Then you are insane in my book.

I'm sure.

Goodbye.

goodbye?

what cowardly behavior.
22-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Hello! Big Grin

(22-02-2016 02:26 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  Well, yes, the whole mainstream is controlled by some monolithic global power.

So... who or what is this monolithic power controlling all the world's media? Consider
22-02-2016, 02:55 PM
(22-02-2016 02:32 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 02:29 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I'm sure.

Goodbye.

goodbye?

what cowardly behavior.

It's hardly cowardly. I simply see no reason to waste my time here.

Either you are mentally ill or you are an idiot incapable of typing a coherent sentence. In either case, I do not see the point in continuing this conversation.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
22-02-2016, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2016 03:30 PM by Free Thought.)
(22-02-2016 02:43 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hello! Big Grin

(22-02-2016 02:26 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  Well, yes, the whole mainstream is controlled by some monolithic global power.

So... who or what is this monolithic power controlling all the world's media? Consider

The Reptiliods. Drinking Beverage

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
22-02-2016, 04:02 PM
I
(22-02-2016 02:26 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  do you really really think there is a free press?

Yeah. Conspiracy "theories" get published all the time. Have you ever read a newsletter from the John Birch Society? These guys were essential in bringing CT to Mainstream 'Murica.

Now, if this [insert nefarious all-powerful group of deciders here] really controlled everything, how is it that you or anyone else "knows" about them? Why would there be shows on the "History" Channel about them?

"Conspiracy" is about as mainstream as it gets these days. They get the endorphins flowing, gives the "truther" some scapegoat to blame for his terrible, horrible life of luxury, and they can be entertaining. That last one is crucial. No one listens if it's boring.

Plus, you can always get a radio or TV contract telling people it's all someone else's fault. It's what they want to hear. Plus, the book sales, lecture circuit, and sales of bogus miracle supplements that "they don't want you to know about" can be quite lucrative.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.