Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2016, 02:05 PM
RE: Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?
Here's a good reason.

Hillary's campaign chief is pushing UFO Disclosure again!!

So Hillary was joking, right?

Quote:"It wasn't an offhand remark. Podesta has encouraged journalists to ask his candidate about UFOs, and a few have done so. Mrs. Clinton told a New Hampshire newspaper that she intends to get to the bottom of the UFO mystery, thinks it is possible the planet may have been visited and would consider creating a task force to investigate Nevada's Area 51 military base. The base became a center of UFO attention more than 25 years ago because of reports that aired on KLAS-TV.

CNN characterized Mrs. Clinton's remarks as jokes, but Podesta makes it clear that he and his candidate are serious.

“I think I've convinced her that we need an effort to kind of go look at that and declassify as much as we can, so that people have their legitimate questions answered,” he said. “More attention and more discussion about unexplained aerial phenomena can happen without people who are in public life, who are serious about this, being ridiculed.”-lasvegasnow.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2016, 02:07 PM
(02-03-2016 02:05 PM)JonMJ33 Wrote:  Here's a good reason.

Hillary's campaign chief is pushing UFO Disclosure again!!

So Hillary was joking, right?

Quote:"It wasn't an offhand remark. Podesta has encouraged journalists to ask his candidate about UFOs, and a few have done so. Mrs. Clinton told a New Hampshire newspaper that she intends to get to the bottom of the UFO mystery, thinks it is possible the planet may have been visited and would consider creating a task force to investigate Nevada's Area 51 military base. The base became a center of UFO attention more than 25 years ago because of reports that aired on KLAS-TV.

CNN characterized Mrs. Clinton's remarks as jokes, but Podesta makes it clear that he and his candidate are serious.

“I think I've convinced her that we need an effort to kind of go look at that and declassify as much as we can, so that people have their legitimate questions answered,” he said. “More attention and more discussion about unexplained aerial phenomena can happen without people who are in public life, who are serious about this, being ridiculed.”-lasvegasnow.com

How many threads will you be posting this in? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2016, 02:19 PM
(22-02-2016 01:30 PM)Tryffyuthaskan Wrote:  Well, can't it be that the truth is coming out?

What makes you think the question of the proclamation that they're popular today is true?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-03-2016, 02:27 PM
Why are conspiracy theories so popular today?

Photoshop.

[Image: within-the-temple.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
02-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Carl Sagan's book The Demon Haunted World was published over 20 years ago, back when the Internet wasn't a mainstream technology, and in that book he talked about the various conspiracy theories of his time at great length. I think the reason why there are more of them today is because the Internet has made it so much easier for fringe groups to form online communities where they can exchange and spread their ideas. Case in point: The Flat Earth Society!

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
02-03-2016, 03:16 PM
(02-03-2016 03:10 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Carl Sagan's book The Demon Haunted World was published over 20 years ago, back when the Internet wasn't a mainstream technology, and in that book he talked about the various conspiracy theories of his time at great length. I think the reason why there are more of them today is because the Internet has made it so much easier for fringe groups to form online communities where they can exchange and spread their ideas. Case in point: The Flat Earth Society!

As far as I know I've never met a flat Earther. I do however know a hollow Earther.

ETA: Hey 500 posts, and it only took me 4 years...

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
02-03-2016, 03:19 PM
(02-03-2016 03:16 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 03:10 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Carl Sagan's book The Demon Haunted World was published over 20 years ago, back when the Internet wasn't a mainstream technology, and in that book he talked about the various conspiracy theories of his time at great length. I think the reason why there are more of them today is because the Internet has made it so much easier for fringe groups to form online communities where they can exchange and spread their ideas. Case in point: The Flat Earth Society!

As far as I know I've never met a flat Earther. I do however know a hollow Earther.

ETA: Hey 500 posts, and it only took me 4 years...

weak Drinking Beverage

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-04-2016, 09:28 PM
(15-05-2013 09:29 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Bigfoot, aliens, Nessie, the JFK assassination, Flouride in the drinking water, 9/11, power lines & cell phones, Birthers, Flat Earthers, Illuminati, Anti Vaccers, Faked Moon Landings, Tesla tech, faked holocaust, satanic messages in records, Chupacabra, mind control, Atlantis, Reptilian Shapeshifters, FEMA Camps and Guillotines, Chemtrails, Conservapedia, HAARP, and those are just the one that come off the top of my head!

What the hell leads so many people to believing such asinine nonsense?
People have stopped automatically assuming the government has our best interets at heart and is generally honest with us. This is in part because government does not have our best interests at heart and is generally dishonest with us.

This allows for both rational and irrational speculation on what the government might be up to. Part of the problem is people like you don't differentiate between the two. Why would it be irrational to believe that the US government is planning concentration camps? It's not like it's the first time they've done it. It's not like the media, or even government itself, keeps track of everything they're doing.

We know government conspires, why do you think Daraprim costs so much in the USA? Because it's impossible to import it at a profit because of all the unnecessary "safety" tests you have to undergone to get approval. Why do these tests cost so much? Because Big Pharma wanted them to so that there would be less competition. Did they tell you this? Of course not they went with the "Safety first" explanation. So there's one clear conspiracy yet people like you automatically scoff at "conspiracy theories" and put them in the same category as homopathetic medicine.
27-04-2016, 09:31 PM
(15-05-2013 09:29 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Bigfoot, aliens, Nessie, the JFK assassination, Flouride in the drinking water, 9/11, power lines & cell phones, Birthers, Flat Earthers, Illuminati, Anti Vaccers, Faked Moon Landings, Tesla tech, faked holocaust, satanic messages in records, Chupacabra, mind control, Atlantis, Reptilian Shapeshifters, FEMA Camps and Guillotines, Chemtrails, Conservapedia, HAARP, and those are just the one that come off the top of my head!

What the hell leads so many people to believing such asinine nonsense?

Everybody has to believe in something, and I believe I am getting drunked up tonite!
27-04-2016, 09:34 PM
(16-05-2013 01:31 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I think trust, like every other possible personality trait, runs on a continuum and you have people who trust everyone all the time about everything at one end and people who trust no one ever about anything at the other end, with all varying degrees in between. The people at the non-trusting end are likely the ones who come up with these conspiracy theories and probably do so in combination with other factors such as having too much time on their hands. In the past, their conspiracy theories would have died early, but today with the internet, word gets out and can easily reach many people at the same non-trust end of the continuum. So they easily buy into the theories and the ball gets rolling.
But there ain't nuthin new about conspiracy theories. You mentioned JFK, and that has been around a lot longer than the internet has been, and even before that there was always disagreement as to who "REALLY" killed Abraham Lincoln. Not new at all!