Why are creationists so against evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Why are creationists so against evolution?
Of course, the answer to us is obvious. But firm their perspective, why are they so opposed to investigating it? Why do they not believe that, if creationism was true, the evidence would lead scientists to that conclusion?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 07:26 PM
RE: Why are creationists so against evolution?
(07-05-2015 07:21 PM)peacefrog Wrote:  Of course, the answer to us is obvious. But firm their perspective, why are they so opposed to investigating it? Why do they not believe that, if creationism was true, the evidence would lead scientists to that conclusion?

I have a hypothesis. I think it is because if we evolved and were not created then that means we have no intrinsic value. If there is no god to value us we must earn our own value. I think religion is all about the desire for the unearned. It is the desire for unearned greatness, unearned moral stature, unearned knowledge, unearned love and unearned forgiveness.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 10 users Like true scotsman's post
07-05-2015, 07:26 PM
(07-05-2015 07:21 PM)peacefrog Wrote:  Of course, the answer to us is obvious. But firm their perspective, why are they so opposed to investigating it? Why do they not believe that, if creationism was true, the evidence would lead scientists to that conclusion?

They are afraid kids will be swayed by science (instead of the science fiction that is found in the Bible) and leave their faith (which would cause their children to wind up in hell). Christians will often cite incidences where science has changed over time as new information/discoveries have been brought into the fold. Christians believe that science one day will be proven wrong and the Bible will win out in the end.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-05-2015, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2015 07:37 PM by pablo.)
If you start picking away at creationism using evolution, it doesn't take long for the whole belief system to fall apart.
Most are not able to, or won't, accept that.
[+] 7 users Like pablo's post
07-05-2015, 07:36 PM
They've already have had their worldview stomped on by science, their not too keen on letting science stomp on their beliefs anymore.

That's why Ken Ham wants to shut SETI down, his bi-bull told him everything he needs to know, might as well stop all scientific endeavors and stop asking questions lest they lead you away from the "Truth".

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-05-2015, 07:40 PM
(07-05-2015 07:29 PM)pablo Wrote:  If you start picking away at creationism using evolution, it doesn't take long for the whole belief system to fall apart.
Most are not able to, or won't, accept that.

Precisely. Dodgy
House of cards ... and all that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-05-2015, 07:47 PM
But if you were to ask a creationist why he's anti-evolution, what would he say? He wouldn't say, "Because creationism is a house of cards," even if that's true and he knows it. So what reason would he give? It's the devil's attempt to drive us from Christ?
07-05-2015, 07:51 PM
(07-05-2015 07:47 PM)peacefrog Wrote:  But if you were to ask a creationist why he's anti-evolution, what would he say? He wouldn't say, "Because creationism is a house of cards," even if that's true and he knows it. So what reason would he give? It's the devil's attempt to drive us from Christ?

That's a good question. I've been watching some things on how "out of it" creationists are, (ie Humphries and gang). Anyone who's actually been to any major academic institution knows its WAY out on the nut-fringe.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-05-2015, 07:57 PM
(07-05-2015 07:47 PM)peacefrog Wrote:  But if you were to ask a creationist why he's anti-evolution, what would he say? He wouldn't say, "Because creationism is a house of cards," even if that's true and he knows it. So what reason would he give? It's the devil's attempt to drive us from Christ?

In my past experience as a christian in my church, they would say evolution destroys the need for Jesus and goes against what God says in the Bible. They look at evolution as going against God's Word.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
07-05-2015, 08:16 PM

Probably some variation on that theme. When they deliberately avoid learning anything about evolution, you can expect to hear all sorts of crazy.
A common one "I didn't come from no monkey."
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post