Why are creationists so against evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 08:22 PM
RE: Why are creationists so against evolution?
(07-05-2015 07:26 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  If there is no god to value us we must earn our own value.

Wow. You actually think the christian god values us? After all the shit he has pulled? I know the happy-clappy believers ignore the inconvenient parts but it is pretty clear that he couldn't give a rats ass about a huge majority of humanity. Otherwise, the world would be very different.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
07-05-2015, 08:30 PM
It's based on a standing on what you think is a trustworthy source or exercise. They trust an ancient text translated and copied a ton of times to constant proven examples of a observational method.

Why they sometimes try to argue with their creationist scientists who generally are men of a different field than ones they're talking about, doesn't make sense.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-05-2015, 08:49 PM
(07-05-2015 08:22 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 07:26 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  If there is no god to value us we must earn our own value.

Wow. You actually think the christian god values us? After all the shit he has pulled? I know the happy-clappy believers ignore the inconvenient parts but it is pretty clear that he couldn't give a rats ass about a huge majority of humanity. Otherwise, the world would be very different.

Good point. I don't believe it but they do. The alternative, that they must earn it, is too terrible for them to contemplate.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
08-05-2015, 12:55 AM
(07-05-2015 07:47 PM)peacefrog Wrote:  But if you were to ask a creationist why he's anti-evolution, what would he say? He wouldn't say, "Because creationism is a house of cards," even if that's true and he knows it. So what reason would he give? It's the devil's attempt to drive us from Christ?

That he is pinnacle of creation, made in almighty god likeness and notion that we evolved is blasphemous to him. Humans are quite different from other animals but it is not comparable with being favored god's creation.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
08-05-2015, 01:07 AM
If we evolved, especially if we evolved in the way scientific evidence leads us to conclude, then man is just another animal. You have to see Adam and Eve story as some kind of metaphor. You therefore have no original sin to justify God wanting to cook us all in hell. Is hell a metaphor now? What is real and what is not?

Safer to just assert that those silly scientists are being stupid playing mind games trying to come up with ludicrous theories for how we got here without God, when we already *have* a clear account of *exactly* what happened in this book which I am holding. Of course I know where the book came from, why are you asking stupid questions? It is the divinely inspired history of the Jewish prophets which was all written down by eye-witnesses to the events that took place. It says so in the book if you'd just *read* it, you Goddamn heathen. We don't like the Jews any more though 'cos they killed Jesus. Hallelujah. Amen.

Eventually Jesus Christ will return and all those who laughed at us will bend the knee before Jesus Christ, as it is written "Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess..." etc etc. And then those FUCKERS will all BURN! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
08-05-2015, 03:37 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 03:46 AM by Nurse.)
(08-05-2015 01:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  If we evolved, especially if we evolved in the way scientific evidence leads us to conclude, then man is just another animal. You have to see Adam and Eve story as some kind of metaphor. You therefore have no original sin to justify God wanting to cook us all in hell. Is hell a metaphor now? What is real and what is not?

Safer to just assert that those silly scientists are being stupid playing mind games trying to come up with ludicrous theories for how we got here without God, when we already *have* a clear account of *exactly* what happened in this book which I am holding. Of course I know where the book came from, why are you asking stupid questions? It is the divinely inspired history of the Jewish prophets which was all written down by eye-witnesses to the events that took place. It says so in the book if you'd just *read* it, you Goddamn heathen. We don't like the Jews any more though 'cos they killed Jesus. Hallelujah. Amen.

Eventually Jesus Christ will return and all those who laughed at us will bend the knee before Jesus Christ, as it is written "Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess..." etc etc. And then those FUCKERS will all BURN! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sounds about right.

Most of the churches I went to growing up would call themselves "bible believing" churches. You'd say your affirmation of faith, and hold up your Bible and say something like "I believe this is the literal, living word of God." The preacher gets up every Sunday and rants and raves about the corruption and chaos in the world. Your burdens are heavy - come lay them at the feet of the cross. Don't wait, accept him today, you never know what the world has in store for you cue pianist, choir director quietly singing "Just as I am", you're not guaranteed tomorrow, but you've got today, come, get right with Jesus. cue the entire congregation to sing aaaand the preacher continues to rant and rave during the altar call. "Ohhh how sweet He is. That He would lay down His life for you and for me." "If you died today, where would you find yourself. In heaven? Or in hell. The choice is yours, the gift is there,my brothers and sisters. You just have to accept it."

So. Let's review. Every Sunday (and Sunday night, Wednesday night, weekly small group bible study, and daily "quiet time" devotional) you get the same components reinforcing your belief and keeping you from analyzing other schools of thought. 1) Bible=literal, divine inspired, totes true you guys. 2)world is full of sin and bad people trying to lead you astray. 3) emotional appeal to being saved from life's hardships. 4) guilt trip 5) if all else fails fear of death and eternal damnation.

It is reaaaallllly hard to break free from those kinds of chains around the mind. You might get a doubt or two rolling around in their head, but then they're gonna be right back in church/small group reinforcing the idea that there is a Creator God who loves us.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 9 users Like Nurse's post
08-05-2015, 04:30 AM
(07-05-2015 08:16 PM)pablo Wrote:  "I didn't come from no monkey."

I think there's a lot in that one plus a complete misunderstanding of what evolution actually is.

I remember watching a documentary Dawkins did on this very subject. In one part he's talking to some preacher or other about evolution and the guy says something along the lines of 'so you're telling me that at some point a monkey gave birth to a human'. The look on Dawkins face is priceless and I'm sure internally he was face palming.

But it shows that even with all the information available to everyone explaining, illustrating and presenting the huge volume of evidence people still don't or maybe won't get it.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 2 users Like Eva's post
08-05-2015, 05:54 AM
(08-05-2015 03:37 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 01:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  If we evolved, especially if we evolved in the way scientific evidence leads us to conclude, then man is just another animal. You have to see Adam and Eve story as some kind of metaphor. You therefore have no original sin to justify God wanting to cook us all in hell. Is hell a metaphor now? What is real and what is not?

Sounds about right.

Most of the churches I went to growing up would call themselves "bible believing" churches. You'd say your affirmation of faith, and hold up your Bible and say something like "I believe this is the literal, living word of God." The preacher gets up every Sunday and rants and raves about the corruption and chaos in the world. Your burdens are heavy - come lay them at the feet of the cross. Don't wait, accept him today, you never know what the world has in store for you cue pianist, choir director quietly singing "Just as I am", you're not guaranteed tomorrow, but you've got today, come, get right with Jesus. cue the entire congregation to sing aaaand the preacher continues to rant and rave during the altar call. "Ohhh how sweet He is. That He would lay down His life for you and for me." "If you died today, where would you find yourself. In heaven? Or in hell. The choice is yours, the gift is there,my brothers and sisters. You just have to accept it."

So. Let's review. Every Sunday (and Sunday night, Wednesday night, weekly small group bible study, and daily "quiet time" devotional) you get the same components reinforcing your belief and keeping you from analyzing other schools of thought. 1) Bible=literal, divine inspired, totes true you guys. 2)world is full of sin and bad people trying to lead you astray. 3) emotional appeal to being saved from life's hardships. 4) guilt trip 5) if all else fails fear of death and eternal damnation.

It is reaaaallllly hard to break free from those kinds of chains around the mind. You might get a doubt or two rolling around in their head, but then they're gonna be right back in church/small group reinforcing the idea that there is a Creator God who loves us.
Where do I make my donation? I felt like I was there during your sermon Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2015, 08:26 AM
It is worth noting that a very large number of Christians (perhaps the majority?) do believe in evolution. They believe that evolution is the tool God used to create the diversity of life on Earth. There are also old-Earth creationists, some of whom may also accept evolution as God's tool.

Just as Christians are an extremely diverse group, so are creationists, though usually creationists are by definition deniers of evolution. Humans being as humans are, categories always become fuzzy around the edges.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 2 users Like daniel1948's post
08-05-2015, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 08:39 AM by jennybee.)
(08-05-2015 08:26 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  It is worth noting that a very large number of Christians (perhaps the majority?) do believe in evolution. They believe that evolution is the tool God used to create the diversity of life on Earth. There are also old-Earth creationists, some of whom may also accept evolution as God's tool.

Just as Christians are an extremely diverse group, so are creationists, though usually creationists are by definition deniers of evolution. Humans being as humans are, categories always become fuzzy around the edges.

The Bible can be twisted to make it say anything you want it to say. I agree--there are a lot of oldearthers who believe in evolution, while some do not as they think it takes away from the idea of Jesus. But the young earth creationists are actually the ones that read the Bible literally--so I have respect for them in that sense as they are not veering off the tracks in relation to the Bible. They are the ones who want to take evolution out of the classroom---or at the very least, have creationism taught right along side it. I think people can believe what they want as long as they don't hurt others or stand in the way of science.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post