Why are creationists so against evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2015, 08:42 AM
RE: Why are creationists so against evolution?
(08-05-2015 08:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 08:26 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  It is worth noting that a very large number of Christians (perhaps the majority?) do believe in evolution. They believe that evolution is the tool God used to create the diversity of life on Earth. There are also old-Earth creationists, some of whom may also accept evolution as God's tool.

Just as Christians are an extremely diverse group, so are creationists, though usually creationists are by definition deniers of evolution. Humans being as humans are, categories always become fuzzy around the edges.

The Bible can be twisted to make it say anything you want it to say. I agree--there are a lot of oldearthers who believe in evolution, while some do not as they think it takes away from the idea of Jesus. But the young earth creationists are actually the ones that read the Bible literally--so I have respect for them in that sense as they are not veering off the tracks in relation to the Bible. They are the ones who want to take evolution out of the classroom---or at the very least, have creationism taught right along side it.

Certainly, but I think it is good (or not bad at least) thing that believers are willing to modify their beliefs.

Pope Francis for example is willing to "accept" evolution and Big Bang though I think it is PR move. And his acceptance or lack of it don't really matter as science doesen't rely on goodwill of pope.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
08-05-2015, 08:43 AM
(07-05-2015 07:26 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I have a hypothesis. I think it is because if we evolved and were not created then that means we have no intrinsic value. If there is no god to value us we must earn our own value. I think religion is all about the desire for the unearned. It is the desire for unearned greatness, unearned moral stature, unearned knowledge, unearned love and unearned forgiveness.

Damn. That is a hypothesis worth remembering. I may use that one of these days.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
08-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Ego -- flat, plain and simple.

Over-inflated egos actually.

If you can claim that a perfect being created mankind and subsequently YOU -- you get to claim that you're "perfect" the "way god made me"....

If that's not a cry for pharmaceutical help, I don't know what is....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
08-05-2015, 09:03 AM
(08-05-2015 08:59 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Ego -- flat, plain and simple.

Over-inflated egos actually.

If you can claim that a perfect being created mankind and subsequently YOU -- you get to claim that you're "perfect" the "way god made me"....

If that's not a cry for pharmaceutical help, I don't know what is....

Better living through chemistry. Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
08-05-2015, 09:33 AM
If humans evolved along with every other animal on this earth then the Adam and Eve story is just a mythological story, if Adam and Eve is just a story then there is no original sin, if there is no original sin then there is no need for the Jesus sacrifice, if there is no need for the Jesus sacrifice then it's just a story too and the entire bible is total bullshit, campfire induced storytelling. It then becomes completely unnecessary to get up on a Sunday and go to a special building and recite a bunch of wooey nonsense when one could sleep in, watch football, go to the gym, volunteer to actually help others, take up a hobby or simply relax and enjoy the day.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-05-2015, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 10:17 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(08-05-2015 03:37 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Most of the churches I went to growing up would call themselves "bible believing" churches. You'd say your affirmation of faith, and hold up your Bible and say something like "I believe this is the literal, living word of God." The preacher gets up every Sunday and rants and raves about the corruption and chaos in the world. Your burdens are heavy - come lay them at the feet of the cross. Don't wait, accept him today, you never know what the world has in store for you cue pianist, choir director quietly singing "Just as I am", you're not guaranteed tomorrow, but you've got today, come, get right with Jesus. cue the entire congregation to sing aaaand the preacher continues to rant and rave during the altar call. "Ohhh how sweet He is. That He would lay down His life for you and for me." "If you died today, where would you find yourself. In heaven? Or in hell. The choice is yours, the gift is there,my brothers and sisters. You just have to accept it."

It sounds like you were at my church in 1978. We had just fled Iran, and my 12-year-old mind was a shambles -- the world I'd grown up in flushed right down the shitter, my friends scattered to the winds, and the preaching cut right to the quick in me. I went up, teary-eyed and lost, and took my second baptism, at the First Baptist Church in Mount Pleasant, Texas.

In a way, it was a good thing that I was weak at that moment, because my childish mind was hoping that faith would ease my troubled heart ... when it didn't, I started looking into why faith simply wasn't enough, and that started my deconversion.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
08-05-2015, 10:35 AM
(07-05-2015 07:21 PM)peacefrog Wrote:  Of course, the answer to us is obvious. But firm their perspective, why are they so opposed to investigating it? Why do they not believe that, if creationism was true, the evidence would lead scientists to that conclusion?

The same reason there are Christians who reject gravity and heliocentrism. They say that the scientists are involved in a conspiracy to "kill God". This is what they have to resort to when simply plugging their ears fails to keep the bad thoughts out.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
08-05-2015, 03:55 PM
(08-05-2015 10:35 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 07:21 PM)peacefrog Wrote:  Of course, the answer to us is obvious. But firm their perspective, why are they so opposed to investigating it? Why do they not believe that, if creationism was true, the evidence would lead scientists to that conclusion?

The same reason there are Christians who reject gravity and heliocentrism. They say that the scientists are involved in a conspiracy to "kill God". This is what they have to resort to when simply plugging their ears fails to keep the bad thoughts out.

That shit is just painful to read. Weeping
Neil not only doesn't understand evolution, he has a straw man version that is resistant to change. Tel him to read a fucking science book.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
09-05-2015, 12:48 AM
The saddest thing is seeing a comment, Aw Thanks I never knew that!Sadcryface

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-05-2015, 02:51 AM
(07-05-2015 07:57 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 07:47 PM)peacefrog Wrote:  But if you were to ask a creationist why he's anti-evolution, what would he say? He wouldn't say, "Because creationism is a house of cards," even if that's true and he knows it. So what reason would he give? It's the devil's attempt to drive us from Christ?

In my past experience as a christian in my church, they would say evolution destroys the need for Jesus and goes against what God says in the Bible. They look at evolution as going against God's Word.

you mean it teaches us that we aren't special, that genocide, infanticide is bad for our survival, that we are not rulers of existence and are not the center of everything, that slavery is bad Gasp this is heresy
[+] 3 users Like Ace's post