Why are most atheists leftists?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
12-05-2013, 03:28 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 03:32 AM by DLJ.)
RE: Why are most atheists leftists?
Here's my take on the original question (apologies to those who have seen this before on earlier threads).

From Jonathan Haidt
http://www.moralfoundations.org/

The 6 "moralities" are:
1. Harm / care (empathy)
2. Fairness / cheating (reciprocity)
3. Liberty / oppression (freedom)
4. Loyalty / betrayal (in-group)
5. Authority / subversion (respect)
6. Sanctity / degradation (purity)

Tests show that the liberal-minded are more in tune with 1. 2. and 3. whereas conservatives value all six.

It seems logical that atheists are likely to care less about 4-6 i.e. reject a heavenly authority, have no need to part of a church (in-group) but may feel part of e.g. the TTA community and are rarely sanctimonious.

Smile

ps How did we get on to the subject of 'race'? I don't see the connection.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
12-05-2013, 03:32 AM
(12-05-2013 03:11 AM)Spectral-Rothbardian Wrote:  Perhaps that is the case, but conservatives have been around a lot longer. Atheism is more of a force now than its ever been, so it interests me as to why so many of them are leftists.

"Conservatives have been around a lot longer"? Clearly that isn't true. Whatever views you believe that conservatives hold (depending on how you personally define conservatism), the opposite views have also been held for just as long. Otherwise, what need would people have to define themselves as "conservative" if there wasn't a reason to make the distinction between themselves and others?

But getting to your "interests", let's explore the possible reasons. Modern liberalism holds that everyone deserves civil rights, including minorities such as the transgendered, gays, and minority races. Atheists don't have a bible or any such document to tell us that we also ought to support civil rights, but we also lack the justification that the religious typically use to discriminate against these groups as less-than-equal (the Old Testament). You may think I'm just slipping in "minority races" on the sly here, but even such discrimination has been biblically justified in the past (search for the phrase "almighty god" here) and finds discrimination in modern conservatism in the form of voter ID laws, opposition to Affirmative Action, and crackdowns on illegal immigration. Given this lack of biblical justification, many of us have naturally come to support minorities... why wouldn't we? After all, atheists are in a religious minority.

Liberalism also has economic stances, but I think you'll find a lack of correlation here. Libertarians hold the same views as liberals on civil rights, but hold the same views as conservatives about economics, and plenty of well-known atheists are Libertarians (such as Michael Shermer and Penn Gillette).

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
12-05-2013, 05:17 AM
(12-05-2013 03:11 AM)Spectral-Rothbardian Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 02:53 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Of course the conservative view of pro-wealthy bias is not all there is to conservatism...

It isn't a "pro-wealthy" view, it's a pro-hardwork and pro-free-market view.

The point I was implying is that atheists aren't necessarily enemies of Jesus' political views. Many of us love the golden rule that was expressed by Jesus, and because of that we wouldn't suggest that people we disagree with are "simpletons" (those of us that agree with such teachings of Jesus, that is). I like his views on poverty, charity, mercy, and humility. I also thought his answer to the question of taxes was clever and quite logical.

(12-05-2013 02:53 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  what evidence do you have that atheists are "leftist" simply because the religious are "rightist"?

I never said I had evidence, it was just a theory, or more like a hunch. And I never said that was the complete reason, but could be part of the reason.

(12-05-2013 02:53 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Isn't it equally likely that the religious are conservative because their opponents, the atheists, are liberal?

Perhaps that is the case, but conservatives have been around a lot longer. Atheism is more of a force now than its ever been, so it interests me as to why so many of them are leftists.

"I like his views on poverty, charity, mercy, and humility. I also thought his answer to the question of taxes was clever and quite logical."

I doubt you do. Reread what Jeebus actually said.
12-05-2013, 05:19 AM
(12-05-2013 05:17 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 03:11 AM)Spectral-Rothbardian Wrote:  It isn't a "pro-wealthy" view, it's a pro-hardwork and pro-free-market view.

The point I was implying is that atheists aren't necessarily enemies of Jesus' political views. Many of us love the golden rule that was expressed by Jesus, and because of that we wouldn't suggest that people we disagree with are "simpletons" (those of us that agree with such teachings of Jesus, that is). I like his views on poverty, charity, mercy, and humility. I also thought his answer to the question of taxes was clever and quite logical.

I never said I had evidence, it was just a theory, or more like a hunch. And I never said that was the complete reason, but could be part of the reason.

Perhaps that is the case, but conservatives have been around a lot longer. Atheism is more of a force now than its ever been, so it interests me as to why so many of them are leftists.

"I like his views on poverty, charity, mercy, and humility. I also thought his answer to the question of taxes was clever and quite logical."

didn't I tell you yesterday, Mark? It's not "Jeebus", it's 'Jewsus'

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
12-05-2013, 05:21 AM
(12-05-2013 05:17 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 03:11 AM)Spectral-Rothbardian Wrote:  It isn't a "pro-wealthy" view, it's a pro-hardwork and pro-free-market view.

Can you do me a favour and remind me?

I have a bible in my hotel room but I did my usual thing of running it under the tap and chucking it in the freezer compartment of the fridge.

It's kinda difficult to read now.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
12-05-2013, 05:30 AM
(12-05-2013 03:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ps How did we get on to the subject of 'race'? I don't see the connection.

Because the OP is a race realist spambot. Silly. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
12-05-2013, 05:42 AM
(12-05-2013 05:30 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 03:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ps How did we get on to the subject of 'race'? I don't see the connection.

Because the OP is a race realist spambot. Silly. Tongue

Hmmmm, smacks of ad hominem.

This thread has nothing to do with 'race'.

12-05-2013, 05:43 AM
OP's theory about why many atheists are "leftists" sounds a lot like Egor's theory about why people become atheists.

"You are atheist because you want to sin!" / "You are leftist because you want to be different!"

Same BS, different package.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
12-05-2013, 06:01 AM
wow, a shit load of labeling in this thread: conservatives, liberals, atheists, theists, skin color. Can someone make some generalizations about age, sexual preference and perhaps gender and we'll have covered all the big areas.

I wont add any content or reply to this thread due to the high level of stupid.
[+] 3 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
12-05-2013, 06:20 AM
(12-05-2013 05:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 05:30 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Because the OP is a race realist spambot. Silly. Tongue

Hmmmm, smacks of ad hominem.

This thread has nothing to do with 'race'.

Not the original post, the original poster. Silly-face. Tongue

And it is not an ad hom as I make no reference to the argument, which is stupid because it is stupid, merely stating the bias of the poster. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post