Why are people so convinced that they've heard/seen a deity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2013, 06:33 AM
RE: Why are people so convinced that they've heard/seen a deity?
(18-12-2013 10:19 PM)BlackMason Wrote:  The lengths to which we go to just to keep belief in god is astounding. And god continues to be unfalsifiable.

Oh, yeah. I was one of them, for a while. I engaged in a lot of the stock apologetic arguments. People will believe what they want to believe. At least, in my case, a change in that belief was very slow and gradual.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
27-12-2013, 07:07 PM
One thing that always happens to me is I will think about a movie or talk about a movie to someone and then that night when I'm flicking through the TV Guide I'll notice that very same film is due on in the next few days.

That's how I know god exists.
27-12-2013, 07:14 PM
All jokes aside though. My great grandmother pulled me aside a few years ago. She was in her 90s but still had all her faculties.

She told me she was scared because she was seeing faces everywhere. On the walls, the ceiling, the blank TV screen etc. She didn't want to tell anyone else incase they thought she was going crazy.

I spoke to her a few weeks later and she had been to the doctors who confirmed it was nothing supernatural nor was it anything wrong with her mind. It was her eyes. Can't remember exactly but her eyes weren't functioning properly and the brain wasn't receiving the full image of what the eyes were seeing so the brain was filling in the blanks with Something the eyes see the most.

Anyone of a religious or supernatural disposition would swear it was ghosts or demons etc.