Why are people so convinced that they've heard/seen a deity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2013, 05:20 PM
RE: Why are people so convinced that they've heard/seen a deity?
(16-12-2013 05:13 PM)thedudette Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 04:56 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  She's referring to Chippy. No he didn't stalk her physically, he is a contrarian that likes to argue.
This is the thread where that occured: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...pernatural

How often does this happen on the site?

Not very often, usually just Chippy and Taq engage in this kind of behaviour.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2013, 05:28 PM
(16-12-2013 05:20 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 05:13 PM)thedudette Wrote:  How often does this happen on the site?

Not very often, usually just Chippy and Taq engage in this kind of behaviour.

He's just a troll then?
He acts like one.
16-12-2013, 05:31 PM
(16-12-2013 05:28 PM)thedudette Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 05:20 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Not very often, usually just Chippy and Taq engage in this kind of behaviour.

He's just a troll then?
He acts like one.

No he's not a troll actually. I pretty much thought that but I was mistaken.
ANYWHO........ my troubles really don't matter.

back to topic
(please)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
16-12-2013, 05:38 PM
(16-12-2013 05:28 PM)thedudette Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 05:20 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Not very often, usually just Chippy and Taq engage in this kind of behaviour.

He's just a troll then?
He acts like one.
I'll let you make that judgement. Smile
IMHO he's a sophisticated one, he just doesnt like "village atheists" and can be quite pedantic, very much a contrarian, but can be insightful ans sometimes engages in good discussion.
As far as Taq is concerned, not quite as sophisticated IMHO and can't engage in a good discussion.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
16-12-2013, 05:39 PM
(16-12-2013 03:36 PM)thedudette Wrote:  This a question that I've been wanting to ask for awhile.

If they aren't lying about the experience then what could it be?
Hallucinations?

If anyone has an article about this I'd be happy to read it!
They may not be lying but they could be under a misapprehension of a case. Rare astronomical events, mistaken human aircraft, even the common bird or sky lantern. Oh right..sorry that's aliens. They can be remarkable similar another case is sleep paralysis. Call it a glitch in the sleep cycle, that you are paralyzed but aware of your surroundings with the added bonus of vivid hallucinations. Aliens, monsters, demons, and even angelic beings. Miracles are another thing, since we are prone to create patterns where there are none people see the the virgin Mary in a tree trunk or whatever, and if you can't see that and dare claim that it is just a random pattern of tree bark than you just don't have enough faith. See? It's the emperor's new clothes, some dare not say they don't see it or otherwise they will be rejected within the group. Who knows how far people travel to these "sacred" places, they don't want to say it was a wasted trip. Oh hey, how about that miracle water? Lets not forget that people deliberately want to see such visions and resort to drugs and have stumbled on them to in the ancient past to commune with gods. Highly devout religious person is always going to have that filter, they look for miracles and often find them in the smallest everyday things..like burnt toast. People are largely ignorant of what they experience and our senses are not perfect and do get fooled. Oh, and some people deliberately lie as well.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
16-12-2013, 05:52 PM
(16-12-2013 05:39 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 03:36 PM)thedudette Wrote:  This a question that I've been wanting to ask for awhile.

Hallucinations?

They may not be lying but they could be under a misapprehension of a case. Rare astronomical events, mistaken human aircraft, even the common bird or sky lantern. Oh right..sorry that's aliens. They can be remarkable similar another case is sleep paralysis. Call it a glitch in the sleep cycle, that you are paralyzed but aware of your surroundings with the added bonus of vivid hallucinations. Aliens, monsters, demons, and even angelic beings. Miracles are another thing, since we are prone to create patterns where there are none people see the the virgin Mary in a tree trunk or whatever, and if you can't see that and dare claim that it is just a random pattern of tree bark than you just don't have enough faith. See? It's the emperor's new clothes, some dare not say they don't see it or otherwise they will be rejected within the group. Who knows how far people travel to these "sacred" places, they don't want to say it was a wasted trip. Oh hey, how about that miracle water? Lets not forget that people deliberately want to see such visions and resort to drugs and have stumbled on them to in the ancient past to commune with gods. Highly devout religious person is always going to have that filter, they look for miracles and often find them in the smallest everyday things..like burnt toast. People are largely ignorant of what they experience and our senses are not perfect and do get fooled. Oh, and some people deliberately lie as well.

So people can convince themselves they saw something even though they know they didn't?
16-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Hallucinations?

When I was a kid, like 5 years old, I could have sworn I saw the devil in my room. Today, I know it was the way the tree outside threw a shadow on the wall.

Not long after my husband died, I was walking towards the barn thinking to myself: "I just wish I knew where you put the darn barn key". Seconds later, I stepped on something hard in the dark corner next to the barn door - it was the key. If the same thing had happened to my mom after dad passed, she would have sworn she asked him and he showed her.

There are coincidences in life, and if you are already thinking along those lines, it is easy to connect the wrong dots. If there is something you really want, like in my case I would have given my kingdom for a way to communicate with my husband again, it is quite easy to make it happen in your mind.

As a matter of fact, I have had numerous conversations with hubby since he died. Of course it wasn't him responding, but because of my long term, intimate relationship with him I already know what he would say. The "conversations" were simply my brain bringing up the experiences gathered from him and serving up the most likely answer. Another person would believe they actually talked to him.

The imagination is a powerful thing. If you feed it enough information, it can come up with some pretty realistic images.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
16-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Wishful-thinking.

They so desperately want their bullshit to be true.

Notice how it is always the god they already believe in who they see.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
16-12-2013, 06:05 PM
(16-12-2013 05:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  

Hallucinations?

When I was a kid, like 5 years old, I could have sworn I saw the devil in my room. Today, I know it was the way the tree outside threw a shadow on the wall.

Not long after my husband died, I was walking towards the barn thinking to myself: "I just wish I knew where you put the darn barn key". Seconds later, I stepped on something hard in the dark corner next to the barn door - it was the key. If the same thing had happened to my mom after dad passed, she would have sworn she asked him and he showed her.

There are coincidences in life, and if you are already thinking along those lines, it is easy to connect the wrong dots. If there is something you really want, like in my case I would have given my kingdom for a way to communicate with my husband again, it is quite easy to make it happen in your mind.

As a matter of fact, I have had numerous conversations with hubby since he died. Of course it wasn't him responding, but because of my long term, intimate relationship with him I already know what he would say. The "conversations" were simply my brain bringing up the experiences gathered from him and serving up the most likely answer. Another person would believe they actually talked to him.

The imagination is a powerful thing. If you feed it enough information, it can come up with some pretty realistic images.

Agreed, as I'm sure everyone has thought they've seen something out of the corner of their eye and there's nothing.
16-12-2013, 06:06 PM
I think a lot of it confirmation bias. People want to believe so they do.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post