Why are people so convinced that they've heard/seen a deity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2013, 06:32 PM
RE: Why are people so convinced that they've heard/seen a deity?
(16-12-2013 06:27 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 06:21 PM)thedudette Wrote:  Aye, a trick indeed.
Something we can't argue with as you've said.
How does someone figure out for themselves that they may have exaggerated their own memories?
Only answer I have if you have something empirical to back it up with. Home movies or something like that. I really don't know of anyother way. It's usually a good practice to negate the fantastic.

XD Even then I don't know how that would be evidence.
We can't see what the person is seeing.
Unless the deity wants us to see him or hear him as well?

I just imagine seeing someone talking to themselves or have an extremely shocked expression on their face.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2013, 06:35 PM
(16-12-2013 06:29 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 05:31 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  back to topic
(please)
Fair enough

I'm no pschiatrist or neurologist, but can relate to the bus driver from the article. It took me a while to come to terms with the fact that my delusions (not hallucinations in my case just delusions) were completely created in my brain.

I was conditioned by years of indoctrination and even though it had been a couple of years since I left Pentecostalism for Reformed Christianity, it came back with a vengeance.

I was going through a really low point in my life. Everything was falling apart. Everything. In my valley of tears I came across q&a 27-28 of the Heidelberg Catechism and it reads thus:
Quote:7. Question: What do you understand by the providence of God?

Answer: God’s providence is His almighty and ever present power, whereby, as with His hand, He still upholds heaven and earth and all creatures, and so governs them that leaf and blade, rain and drought, fruitful and barren years, food and drink, health and sickness, riches and poverty, indeed, all things, come not by chance but by His fatherly hand.

28. Question: What does it benefit us to know that God has created all things and still upholds them by His providence?

Answer: We can be patient in adversity, thankful in prosperity, and with a view to the future we can have a firm confidence in our faithful God and Father that no creature shall separate us from His love;for all creatures are so completely in His hand that without His will they cannot so much as move.

I was overblown by how the words described my hardship.

After that I started conceiving the idea that God was literally talking to me through words printed on a page as though he were texting me (or if you saw Man of Steel as if Jor-el programmed the texts for me). Not that far fetched from the idea of verbal plenary inspiration of the bible if you think about it.

It was very creepy, to say the least. Everything I read, saw on TV seemed to be talking to me in real time. I didn't care about the context, I took the words as to hold a specific meaning just for me. It felt very real and I couldn't explain it. I conceived the notion that I was special. I was a prophet or a messiah of sorts.

I wasn't hallucinating. I was seeing everything everybody else saw
What was really happening is that I was in an altered state because of the traumatic stress and the mystical aspect of my suffering and boom I was delusional.

It escalated from there and I had to be taken to the hospital against my will because my family thought i would be a harm to myself. The aftermath was the undoing of my religion. If I was wrong about something that I perceived as being so truthful in my experience, then maybe I am wrong about Jesus. Maybe Paul was wrong about Jesus. Maybe Jesus was wrong about himself. Exploring those possibilities in a truly objective way made me an atheist.

Sad I'm sorry that happened.

Was it difficult getting out of your religion after you started questioning it?
[+] 1 user Likes thedudette's post
16-12-2013, 06:37 PM
(16-12-2013 06:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think a lot of it confirmation bias. People want to believe so they do.

Surely they must realize that their experience with the deity was false if they just want to believe it so and they know it didn't actually happen. Could someone really convince themselves of that?
16-12-2013, 06:39 PM
(16-12-2013 06:29 PM)thedudette Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 06:23 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Oh, it really isn't such an outlandish trick is it now? How about a movie or a good book, we often see fantastic events unfolding before our eyes that at least within context is actually occurring then when we leave we know they aren't but speak of them as if they really did happen. Suspension of disbelief. I wonder if this can also be used to explain indoctrination. Thats just speculating thoughTongue

I see.

What do you think about those who claim they have talked to a deity on more than one occasion. Like they are bros.
Do you think someone could be that convinced?
They are making the claim now aren't they? Are we too to be convinced that mediums are really talking to the dead?
We can't rule out other possibilities such as mental illness.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
16-12-2013, 06:42 PM
(16-12-2013 06:35 PM)thedudette Wrote:  Sad I'm sorry that happened.

The hardest part was acknowledging that I had been wrong about everything. The religion went after that. I relapsed into Christianity for a time but I could no longer close my mind to the inconsistencies, and I left for good.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
16-12-2013, 06:45 PM
(16-12-2013 06:42 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  

The hardest part was acknowledging that I had been wrong about everything. The religion went after that. I relapsed into Christianity for a time but I could no longer close my mind to the inconsistencies, and I left for good.

When I came to the clear realization that I had slowly become atheist, I was not met with a sense of "I was wrong this whole time". For me it was more "I was misled all along by all those people." This is not to say I was not wrong. It just wasn't the main focus of my initial disillusionment.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
16-12-2013, 06:47 PM
(16-12-2013 06:39 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 06:29 PM)thedudette Wrote:  I see.

What do you think about those who claim they have talked to a deity on more than one occasion. Like they are bros.
Do you think someone could be that convinced?
They are making the claim now aren't they? Are we too to be convinced that mediums are really talking to the dead?

It's frightening to think that religion could cause mental illness.
16-12-2013, 06:51 PM
(16-12-2013 06:45 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 06:42 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  The hardest part was acknowledging that I had been wrong about everything. The religion went after that. I relapsed into Christianity for a time but I could no longer close my mind to the inconsistencies, and I left for good.

When I came to the clear realization that I had slowly become atheist, I was not met with a sense of "I was wrong this whole time". For me it was more "I was misled all along by all those people." This is not to say I was not wrong. It just wasn't the main focus of my initial disillusionment.

I'm sure the people that told you about your religion meant it with good intentions.
Sad I'm sure my mother and father wouldn't have told me about Jesus if they knew more about what was outside of Christianity.
[+] 1 user Likes thedudette's post
16-12-2013, 06:52 PM
(16-12-2013 06:47 PM)thedudette Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 06:39 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  They are making the claim now aren't they? Are we too to be convinced that mediums are really talking to the dead?

It's frightening to think that religion could cause mental illness.
I guess in some cases but I mean pre-existing conditions that a person might suffer such as Schizophrenia.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
16-12-2013, 06:53 PM
(16-12-2013 06:42 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  

Did you devote most of your life to religion?