Why are people so convinced that they've heard/seen a deity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2013, 08:27 PM
RE: Why are people so convinced that they've heard/seen a deity?
(16-12-2013 08:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 08:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's like when someone says "they have a bad feeling" about something, then they rip their pants or something...

They just knew something would happen.

It's like people who believe in psychics. The psychic could say 50 things that completely wrong...but tell them that there's a person with a name beginning with an J who's "passed" and they'll mentally dig up uncle John...and that's what they remember. They instantly forget the "misses" and concentrate on the one thing they got right.

If they're rational they might realize that it's just coincidence. If they're not -- then its god.

It also comes down to people needing to feel special "god revealed himself to love me more because he always answered my prayers -- even if he doesn't.".

Cold Readings can go very very wrong.

That must have been embarrassing...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2013, 08:31 PM
(16-12-2013 08:27 PM)thedudette Wrote:  

That must have been embarrassing...

No, you have to have shame and human dignity to be embarrassed.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
16-12-2013, 08:32 PM
(16-12-2013 08:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's like when someone says "they have a bad feeling" about something, then they rip their pants or something...

It's like people who believe in psychics. The psychic could say 50 things that completely wrong...but tell them that there's a person with a name beginning with an J who's "passed" and they'll mentally dig up uncle John...and that's what they remember. They instantly forget the "misses" and concentrate on the one thing they got right.

If they're rational they might realize that it's just coincidence. If they're not -- then its god.

It also comes down to people needing to feel special "god revealed himself to love me more because he always answered my prayers -- even if he doesn't.".

Hah! Can you say shotgunning? So this is what they mean by spray and pray.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
16-12-2013, 08:34 PM
(16-12-2013 08:24 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  

Oh yeah, here's another case. He along with Uri Geller and others were proven to be frauds yet people still believe. All they can do is attack the skeptics with character assaults and slander.

I never heard of this guy until now
16-12-2013, 08:36 PM
(16-12-2013 06:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  ...
Unfortunately, that's not a new development. Even a few long-time, revered members are allowed to bully. So much for a safe place. Dodgy

In fact it's encouraged. The forum team even created a subsection (melee) where we are supposed to go to roast people.

We would be failing in our duties as forum members if we didn't use it.

Meanwhile...
regarding the OP, check out YouTube short series on Pyschology of Belief (I'll post a link when I get a chance). It includes some research on Delusion.

16-12-2013, 08:36 PM
(16-12-2013 08:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 06:37 PM)thedudette Wrote:  Surely they must realize that their experience with the deity was false if they just want to believe it so and they know it didn't actually happen. Could someone really convince themselves of that?

It's like when someone says "they have a bad feeling" about something, then they rip their pants or something...

I couldn't agree more!
16-12-2013, 08:38 PM
(16-12-2013 08:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 08:27 PM)thedudette Wrote:  That must have been embarrassing...

No, you have to have shame and human dignity to be embarrassed.

How much money do you think that guy makes?
16-12-2013, 08:42 PM
(16-12-2013 08:38 PM)thedudette Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 08:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No, you have to have shame and human dignity to be embarrassed.

More than the James Randi Foundation is offering. That's why none of the famous ones want to do it besides the fact they know their frauds and would lose credibility. (as if they ever had it) It's far more lucrative to perpetuate the lie.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
16-12-2013, 08:43 PM
(16-12-2013 08:38 PM)thedudette Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 08:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No, you have to have shame and human dignity to be embarrassed.

Enough to make that his main source of income. If you couldn't tell I think psychics are the scum of the earth.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
16-12-2013, 08:46 PM
(16-12-2013 08:42 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 08:38 PM)thedudette Wrote:  How much money do you think that guy makes?
More than the James Randi Foundation is offering. That's why none of the famous ones want to do it besides the fact they know their frauds and would lose credibility. (as if they ever had it) It's far more lucrative to perpetuate the lie.

No That's sad.