Why are people so convinced that they've heard/seen a deity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2013, 08:47 PM
RE: Why are people so convinced that they've heard/seen a deity?
(16-12-2013 08:43 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 08:38 PM)thedudette Wrote:  How much money do you think that guy makes?

Enough to make that his main source of income. If you couldn't tell I think psychics are the scum of the earth.
Either delusional or con artists. Right there with ya Thumbsup

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2013, 08:48 PM
(16-12-2013 08:43 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 08:38 PM)thedudette Wrote:  How much money do you think that guy makes?

Enough to make that his main source of income. If you couldn't tell I think psychics are the scum of the earth.

It's awful that they do what they do to others, I totally agree that they are awful.
16-12-2013, 08:49 PM
(16-12-2013 08:47 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(16-12-2013 08:43 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Enough to make that his main source of income. If you couldn't tell I think psychics are the scum of the earth.
Either delusional or frauds. Right there with ya Thumbsup

The good ones know they are faking it, they may try to convince themselves but deep down they know. How long has it been since someone even attempted the Randi challenge?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Don't discount what an ego boost it is to believe the creator of the universe wants to communicate with you. The confirmation bias thing is huge to. Emotion, lack of food and sleep. Most Christians will tell you at some point they've heard directly from or been led by God. We're almost as prone to superstition as we were before the telescope.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
16-12-2013, 09:06 PM
(16-12-2013 09:02 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  Don't discount what an ego boost it is to believe the creator of the universe wants to communicate with you. The confirmation bias thing is huge to. Emotion, lack of food and sleep. Most Christians will tell you at some point they've heard directly from or been led by God. We're almost as prone to superstition as we were before the telescope.

Even though they are technically just telling themselves that.
16-12-2013, 09:56 PM
As others have said, I would attribute almost entirely to confirmation bias via indoctrination. I know in my elementary school years I tried very hard to *talk* to god, just like the priest and Sunday school teachers told me to.

You have to be realllly quiet, they said. God will help you solve all your problems if you just ask.

As a small child, that sounds Abso-fucking-lutely amazing. Problems with girls, life, school, sports, friends--all could be answered by just asking!

And I tried, I tried a hell of a lot. Some nights the advice seemed pretty good too. I would think to myself, this is just my conscious, not god, talking to me, but then I would reprimand myself for that blasphemy.

So that young mind began turning--if god is real, then things like ghost must also be real. If I can see a ghost, I will know god is real. And there were times that my young mind SWORE that I heard or saw ghosts. As I recall, both of these instances were when I was alone, and at night. I tried to rationally explain these, and looking back there were definitely rational explanations, but I pushed these out. I had seen ghosts, and now I knew god was real.

Man, getting off that drug was hard. Today, with my knowledge of the workings of the brain, I imagine the untangling the neurons had to do, the new connections they had to make as I deconverted, the tugging of the irrational emotional thoughts with the more logical working of the frontal lobe.

But that freedom, that sense of realization that life was beautiful without god, was amazing. Even a few years after my deconversion, I'm riding that high.

I can absolutely see why people claim to see things. I can absolutely see why they whole-heartedly believe they saw these things. I really don't think some people have the mental capacity for deconversion, and so they will hold on to these delusions in order to confirm their beliefs.
[+] 2 users Like jaguar3030's post
16-12-2013, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2013 05:30 AM by houseofcantor.)
Here's a why.

Here's another why.

Here's another why

the space to create lies within the future
the tools of creation I remember
being here.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-12-2013, 10:02 PM
(16-12-2013 08:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Cold Readings can go very very wrong.

I always thought I would enjoy watching a train wreck, but I guess i was wrong.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
16-12-2013, 10:22 PM
(16-12-2013 09:56 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  As others have said, I would attribute almost entirely to confirmation bias via indoctrination. I know in my elementary school years I tried very hard to *talk* to god, just like the priest and Sunday school teachers told me to.

You have to be realllly quiet, they said. God will help you solve all your problems if you just ask.

As a small child, that sounds Abso-fucking-lutely amazing. Problems with girls, life, school, sports, friends--all could be answered by just asking!

And I tried, I tried a hell of a lot. Some nights the advice seemed pretty good too. I would think to myself, this is just my conscious, not god, talking to me, but then I would reprimand myself for that blasphemy.

So that young mind began turning--if god is real, then things like ghost must also be real. If I can see a ghost, I will know god is real. And there were times that my young mind SWORE that I heard or saw ghosts. As I recall, both of these instances were when I was alone, and at night. I tried to rationally explain these, and looking back there were definitely rational explanations, but I pushed these out. I had seen ghosts, and now I knew god was real.

Man, getting off that drug was hard. Today, with my knowledge of the workings of the brain, I imagine the untangling the neurons had to do, the new connections they had to make as I deconverted, the tugging of the irrational emotional thoughts with the more logical working of the frontal lobe.

But that freedom, that sense of realization that life was beautiful without god, was amazing. Even a few years after my deconversion, I'm riding that high.

I can absolutely see why people claim to see things. I can absolutely see why they whole-heartedly believe they saw these things. I really don't think some people have the mental capacity for deconversion, and so they will hold on to these delusions in order to confirm their beliefs.

true very true!

How was the de conversion? Difficult I assume.
17-12-2013, 10:47 AM
As promised:

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post