Why are people who think the Earth is 6000 years old running for office

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2014, 10:22 AM
RE: Why are people who think the Earth is 6000 years old running for office
(02-04-2014 10:06 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 10:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Something else to think about:

Ask this question from a different point of view.

Let's say a Christian asks, "What are people who don't believe in God running for office?

I mean seriously, if someone can't even grasp the basic concept of God how are they going to be an effective President/Senator/whatever."

An atheist response would, of course, be, "Personal beliefs have no bearing on his ability to govern."

Why is this different?

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/03/two-ch...lock-third

Being discussed here http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ever-stops

Here is a Google search of creationists attempting to block science from public schools

https://www.google.com/#q=creationist+blocks+evolution

If Atheists were attempting to force their dogma on everyone by outlawing churches then we could have a discussion about how neither is better not in this case.

This.

KC, I agree with you that a person simply being religious does not mean that they are unfit for governance. I know a few of my local politicians that are religious, but they realize that not everyone is the same religion as them, so they actively try to keep their religious views out of legislation. For this, I have nothing but respect for them.

However, I have major issue with ANYONE who would use their position of power to force morality on anyone. Theist, deist, atheist, doesn't matter. Theists in this country are the overwhelming majority and many politicians believe that this is a mandate to have a theocracy. As has been pointed out, getting elected while being openly atheist is nearly impossible in this country. So until we see atheist politicians on a national level trying to force atheism down people's throats through legislation, my ire is focused on the theists who see themselves as saving America from moral depravity.

Fuck those guys.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
02-04-2014, 10:31 AM
I think the problem here, and it's embedded in the thread title, is belief in a 6,000 year old earth.

One can certainly be religious, without forcing their beliefs on others. And they can even hold office, without doing so, or forcing their beliefs into legislation. I have no problem with that.

But for those who actually believe in a 6,000 year old earth, they are a “special” type of Christian. They are biblical literalist, and fundamentalist. Those are not the types to keep their religion out of politics. In fact, they attempt to do everything within their power, including things not within their power, in an attempt to force their religious views on others, whether others.

Someone who goes as far as to literally believe in a 6,000 year old earth...first does not know enough things...second, will defiantly attempt to force their religious agenda on those who do not share that belief. It's who those people are.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
02-04-2014, 10:39 AM
(01-04-2014 04:10 PM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  I mean seriously, if someone can't even grasp basic science how are they going to be an effective President/Senator/whatever

They are unaware/don't care that they don't grasp even the basic science and they consider that the belief in gawd is much more important.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
02-04-2014, 11:02 AM
I think it's important to note that I don't agree with people who are forcing religious ideologies into government... that's why I had that question.

But per the title, it's a statement that YEC = unfit to run for office.

If anyone tries to insert religious or irreligious ideologies into government then they are unfit for office; however, someone who simply believes (as stated in the title and OP) shouldn't have his ability to govern based on these ideologies.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-04-2014, 11:11 AM
(02-04-2014 11:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I think it's important to note that I don't agree with people who are forcing religious ideologies into government... that's why I had that question.

If anyone tries to insert religious or irreligious ideologies into government then they are unfit for office; however, someone who simply believes (as stated in the title and OP) shouldn't have his ability to govern based on these ideologies.

I think the assertion is basically what Raptor said. YECs are not known to keep their religious views contained to their own life. Also, YECs are flagrantly willfully ignorant, and THAT makes one unfit for governance to my mind. These are people who deny basics of reality. People who are so deluded by their religion that they reject things that are demonstrably true. Is this the kind of person that should be making decisions for the country? Someone who will outright reject things that they don't like regardless of the evidence?

This is not the type of person you want making decisions about the environment, about healthcare, about science funding, about what is taught in schools. I could keep going with that list, but you get the point. People who reject reality have no place governing our reality.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
02-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Oh, and the simplest answer to the title of the thread is this:

There are people who think the earth is 6000 years old running for office because there are voters who think the earth is 6000 years old.

02-04-2014, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 12:37 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
(02-04-2014 11:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I think it's important to note that I don't agree with people who are forcing religious ideologies into government... that's why I had that question.

I agree with everything you say Kings.

But I have to say, the very reason one can actually believe the earth is 6,000 years old, is the very reason it makes them one who if giving political power, would be one to force their ideology into the political sphere.

I don't believe those two things remain mutually exclusive for YEC types. There for I believe YEC types are inherently bad for government office.

It’s a bit like putting a Klu Klux Klan (I appologize for the example, KC. Just making a point, not a comparison) member in a supreme court judge appointment. Their judgment of every ruling of certain types will inherently be skewed. I apologize for using such a profane example in comparison to the “Christian”. I don’t believe Christians are as bad as the KKK. Just making a point about those who hold extreme positions and viewpoints, that reach out into every other aspect of social life and governess.

YEC are a “special” type of Christian that have no business being involved in making real world decisions that effect anything at all.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
02-04-2014, 11:49 AM
(02-04-2014 11:12 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Oh, and the simplest answer to the title of the thread is this:

There are people who think the earth is 6000 years old running for office because there are voters who think the earth is 6000 years old.

Scary isn't it.
02-04-2014, 11:51 AM
(02-04-2014 11:19 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  

I agree with everything you say Kings.

But I have to say, the very reason one can actually believe the earth is 6,000 years old, makes them one, who if giving political power, would be one to force their ideology into the political sphere.

I don't believe those two things remain exclusive for YEC types. There for I believe YEC types are inherently bad for government office.

It’s a bit like putting a Klu Klux Klan (I appologize for the example, KC. Just making a point, not a comparison) member in a supreme court judge appointment. Their judgment of every ruling of certain types will inherently be skewed. I apologize for using such a profane example in comparison to the “Christian”. I don’t believe Christians are as bad as the KKK. Just making a point about those who hold extreme positions and viewpoints, that reach out into every other aspect of social life and governess.

YEC are a “special” type of Christian that have no business being involved in making real world decisions that effect anything at all.

I get what you are saying and there are a whole lot of other extreem positions people hold that could negatively impact how they govern.
02-04-2014, 03:04 PM
You ask "why are people who think the Earth is 6000 years old running for office?" Because idiot people will vote for them, that's why. Bangin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.