Why are people who think the Earth is 6000 years old running for office

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2014, 03:20 PM
RE: Why are people who think the Earth is 6000 years old running for office
Reagan's son (Ron Reagan) couldn't go into politics because he was an open atheist, and he said that word for word on an atheist radio show I listen on.

I remember a few days ago watching a youtube video of Christopher Hitchens best moments and in it he says, "I don't care about hurting your feelings because I'm not running for anything", so that probably explains that people who run for things will usually conform to the voters ideology, as it's essentially a popularity contest.

Sad how it works, but that's how the dice rolls. The church communities, and the sheer number of believers will be their huge support group in terms of finance, and spreading the word which they couldn't get otherwise without adjusting their beliefs or merely what they say on television or whatever. Not to say some who run aren't genuine in their beliefs, if they truly believe in Christianity or even one if its interpretations, all the more reason to run, hmm?

I find it's incredibly hard for these runners NOT to address their personal beliefs when it comes to opinions on things. George Bush said, when meeting the KGB thug Vladimir Putin as described by Hitchens, "I knew he was right for me when I saw him wearing his grandmother's cross." Something along the lines of that was spoken by George Bush, a practicing christian, and that's a concrete example of how religion can get in the way of politics, and it almost always does. While I think somebodies personal beliefs should not interfere with how we see them when they run, so long as they keep a fine line between the two, but often you'll see it's incredibly hard for them to. A politician, often religious will always use that to their advantage, which is probably why the 6000 year christian creationist delightfully literally runs for office, showing quite conspicuously his nice shiny white teeth and bible in hand.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 05:46 PM
(02-04-2014 09:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Probably the same reason why a Christian is allowed to be an admin on an atheist forum. Their personal beliefs are not a direct correlation on their ability to govern.

Not true. Look at their legislative records - at what they support and what they oppose.

The more important question is - why are they elected?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-04-2014, 05:49 PM
(02-04-2014 10:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Something else to think about:

Ask this question from a different point of view.

Let's say a Christian asks, "What are people who don't believe in God running for office?

I mean seriously, if someone can't even grasp the basic concept of God how are they going to be an effective President/Senator/whatever."

An atheist response would, of course, be, "Personal beliefs have no bearing on his ability to govern."

Why is this different?

How about because we have a secular republic. I don't care what religious beliefs an elected official has, but only if it does not make their actions conflict with reason and reality.

02-04-2014, 05:52 PM
(02-04-2014 11:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I think it's important to note that I don't agree with people who are forcing religious ideologies into government... that's why I had that question.

But per the title, it's a statement that YEC = unfit to run for office.

If anyone tries to insert religious or irreligious ideologies into government then they are unfit for office; however, someone who simply believes (as stated in the title and OP) shouldn't have his ability to govern based on these ideologies.

I'll quibble: They are unfit to hold office. They are free to run, and we are free to call them out on their bullshit.