Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2015, 03:25 AM
Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?
I feel like people attack Christianity alot for it's bullshit, which I happily agree with and do myself, but I also attack Islam and other religions for the bullshit they spew out. Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

I am absolutely certain that I do not know, but it might be possible to find out. - Christopher Hitchens

Follow Me!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like hilary's post
20-07-2015, 03:32 AM
RE: Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?
(20-07-2015 03:25 AM)hilary Wrote:  I feel like people attack Christianity alot for it's bullshit, which I happily agree with and do myself, but I also attack Islam and other religions for the bullshit they spew out. Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

Alot of the time people don't know enough about Islam. They were born in Christian Countries and that's the religion they were most familiar with. I never used to attack the lunatics of Islam because I didn't know enough about them. Now I do know enough about it I'm in a position to attack it.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
20-07-2015, 03:42 AM
I can't speak for "so many people" but perhaps can speculate that it's as TheStraight one points out or perhaps fear of reprisal.

Certainly the educated muslims that I know will speak out in e.g. the Philosophy Group meetups we have but have not come out as atheists to their families.

Plenty of atheists are similarly in the closet fearing reprisal from christian family members.

Speaking for myself, I am careful because of where I live and as outspoken as I want to be but I am conscious of the risks.

Undecided

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
20-07-2015, 03:54 AM
(20-07-2015 03:32 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 03:25 AM)hilary Wrote:  I feel like people attack Christianity alot for it's bullshit, which I happily agree with and do myself, but I also attack Islam and other religions for the bullshit they spew out. Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

Alot of the time people don't know enough about Islam. They were born in Christian Countries and that's the religion they were most familiar with. I never used to attack the lunatics of Islam because I didn't know enough about them. Now I do know enough about it I'm in a position to attack it.

Ahh, I thought this too, this actually may be it.
I also know enough about it attack it.

I am absolutely certain that I do not know, but it might be possible to find out. - Christopher Hitchens

Follow Me!
20-07-2015, 03:55 AM
(20-07-2015 03:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I can't speak for "so many people" but perhaps can speculate that it's as TheStraight one points out or perhaps fear of reprisal.

Certainly the educated muslims that I know will speak out in e.g. the Philosophy Group meetups we have but have not come out as atheists to their families.

Plenty of atheists are similarly in the closet fearing reprisal from christian family members.

Speaking for myself, I am careful because of where I live and as outspoken as I want to be but I am conscious of the risks.

Undecided

If you dont mind saying, where do you live? And what are you afraid they'll do?

Follow Me!
20-07-2015, 04:13 AM
(20-07-2015 03:55 AM)hilary Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 03:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I can't speak for "so many people" but perhaps can speculate that it's as TheStraight one points out or perhaps fear of reprisal.

Undecided

If you dont mind saying, where do you live? And what are you afraid they'll do?

Malaysia (it's on my profile).

It's an officially Islamic country which is largely moderate due to a strong secular influence. Legally, it's an offence to be an atheist but it's unlikely that it would be treated as a capital crime (although technically it's a capital offence) ... I guess it depends how militant one is.

There is a growing movement of civil societies (thanks to the Internet) which is largely tolerated by the authorities in most states and these are countering a recent trend of fanaticism. So people are speaking out.

Religion has been used as an excuse to heighten Malay vs. Chinese tension so race is an issue which some politicians exploit.

So, deportation is more likely than execution as per the tourists recently who were sent home after stripping off on a 'sacred' mountain and one has to be careful how far one goes.

For example, I wouldn't go into a mosque on a Friday and start insulting allah but there are a few more subtle ways to criticism Islam which are safe enough.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-07-2015, 05:31 AM
Lack of the kind of intimate knowledge that I have of Christianity means I tend not to go into the specifics of Islam, although I try to make sure that I communicate, when speaking of Islam, that its god is as morally repugnant and unworthy of worship as the god of Christianity or the god of Judaism.

In my country (the USA), the religion that is most actively oppressive, both in trying to take away others' rights and to make its tenets the law of the land, is Christianity, so I tend to spend most of my time opposing that.

One of my major concerns is religion in secular law, most especially as it applies to women, and this leads me to oppose Islam, Christianity, and Judaism. One of the key necessary struggles of the twenty-first century, if we don't poison ourselves off of this planet, is going to be the attempt to get religion out of all law, everywhere in the world.

Another big struggle will be how to tame the fanatic/fundamentalist mindset and keep people who hold it from exercising undue political power, especially over those who don't agree with their religious interpretations.
20-07-2015, 05:43 AM

Don't know why (and if indeed many) people are afraid of attacking Islam but I live in country where majority is catholic so I couldn't care less about Islam as it practically doesn't exist here.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
20-07-2015, 05:52 AM
Cause Muslims be crazy

Over a billion of these crazy mothafuckers and dare I say most would support killing people who don't see it their way.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
20-07-2015, 05:55 AM
(20-07-2015 05:52 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Cause Muslims be crazy

Over a billion of these crazy mothafuckers and dare I say most would support killing people who don't see it their way.

Exactly. They be cray-cray.

Bart Ehrman once was asked this question and he replied that he valued his life.
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.