Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2015, 06:09 AM
RE: Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?
The few muslims I know are moderate and are always interested in having an open discssion about religion etc... There are a few extreme types who are usually converts. I have no time for these wankers. It's not fear, I just couldn't be arsed of bothered even acknowledging the bastards, unless they start giving me grief of course.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Two reasons, and in both cases, keeping in mind that this is an Anglophone board with the bulk of its members in English-speaking nations.

First, Islam isn't really a dominant part of the societies that most of us live in. Sure, it's a huge problem in OTHER parts of the world, but it's not an issue in our daily lives. If half the neighboring town is overgrown with kudzu but our own backyard is suffering from a severe blackberry infestation, we'll go attack the blackberries. In most English-speaking nations, that's various forms of invasive and controlling Christianity, rather than Islam. It's a matter of priorities.

Second, and again with that provincial "What's the situation in my backyard" view of things, Muslims in Western nations are, on average, much more liberal than Muslims on average, or even religion on average. They will not, for example, be trying to make every business close on their holy day or require the public schools to teach their particular holy book. I think it comes from being a minority in these countries and therefore having a vested interest in respecting and defending minority rights. Worldwide, Islam is a huge threat (including on the terrorist front), but despite Islam getting big headlines now and then the big religious terrorist threat in most Western nations is conservative CHRISTIAN nutjobs. Same for the threat of who's trying to shove their religion down your throat.

So mostly it's a "I care about what's happening here more than I care what's happening over there" sort of thing.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
20-07-2015, 11:12 AM
Dare I say that my main answer is pretty obvious?

Who wants to get blown up or killed?

With that said, I know this is a knee-jerk response. I haven't done the research so I don't know what % of muslims are extremists vs. what % are....well non-extremists? It may even mirror christianity in comparison of fundamentalists as a total % but I don't know. I, for one, have had my head up my ass in christianity for 35 years of my life and haven't even had time to bother with learning about other religions. I suppose I should.

In the end, I believe that religious ideas should not be held sacred. They should be subject to ridicule where need be.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
20-07-2015, 11:22 AM
(20-07-2015 11:12 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Dare I say that my main answer is pretty obvious?

Who wants to get blown up or killed?

With that said, I know this is a knee-jerk response. I haven't done the research so I don't know what % of muslims are extremists vs. what % are....well non-extremists? It may even mirror christianity in comparison of fundamentalists as a total % but I don't know. I, for one, have had my head up my ass in christianity for 35 years of my life and haven't even had time to bother with learning about other religions. I suppose I should.

Here is poll that could tell something about percentage of extremists. Not much maybe but it could be a good start.

(20-07-2015 11:12 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  In the end, I believe that religious ideas should not be held sacred. They should be subject to ridicule where need be.

Exactly.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
20-07-2015, 12:24 PM
When religion is held as the only thing that matters in life, you can delve into some pretty depraved shit that you wouldn't do otherwise and say "My god has instructed me to do this or it is written in our holy book."

Should anyone question your motives, you can turn it right back against them.
"Are you saying you don't believe the words written in our holy book ?"
"Are you going against our way of life ?"

Then of course others in the religion will back anything done in the name of religion or face violence from anyone in the religion.

It gives people license to commit acts of atrocity and depravity

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
20-07-2015, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2015 02:29 PM by nintendo2190.)
(20-07-2015 03:25 AM)hilary Wrote:  I feel like people attack Christianity alot for it's bullshit, which I happily agree with and do myself, but I also attack Islam and other religions for the bullshit they spew out. Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

i really dont know why many people have no idea what islam is
20-07-2015, 02:38 PM
(20-07-2015 02:24 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 03:25 AM)hilary Wrote:  I feel like people attack Christianity alot for it's bullshit, which I happily agree with and do myself, but I also attack Islam and other religions for the bullshit they spew out. Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

i really dont know why many people have no idea what islam is

[Image: sxgnef89qpzngi0fq2ij.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-07-2015, 02:46 PM
[

yeah i wont cite next time
20-07-2015, 11:31 PM
(20-07-2015 02:46 PM)nintendo2190 Wrote:  [

yeah i wont cite next time

Laugh out load Guess you ain't getting no citation Chas Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-07-2015, 12:40 AM
I have to go with Reltzik on this.

Here in the USA, every Muslim I have ever met, including a pretty fierce-looking Imam at a religious-views panel I had the good fortune to be the atheist representative for (along with Muslim, Baptist, Catholic, Jewish, and Buddhist representatives), on behalf of my student atheist group in grad school, have been wonderful people. Conservative in their views, yes, but also dedicated to the "peaceful" part of the religion, which commands them to be kind to strangers and generous with the less-fortunate. I found them to be allies, friends, and gracious hosts who invited me to their religious feasts (they have almost as many as Jews, it seemed), and conservative only in their own lives, not those of others.

American Christians could learn a great deal from American Muslims, in my experience.

One example:

While all the white Christians just sat by as racists burned down black churches...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/08/us/muslims...index.html

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post