Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2015, 03:39 AM
RE: Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?
(20-07-2015 03:25 AM)hilary Wrote:  I feel like people attack Christianity alot for it's bullshit, which I happily agree with and do myself, but I also attack Islam and other religions for the bullshit they spew out. Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

Because the vast majority of people who are attacking Christianity are from a Christian country and understand its construction whereas they are much less familiar with Islam and its vagaries making it much more difficult to pin-point their criticism.

I tend not to criticise sports teams as I'm not a sporty person, but I'll argue the toss for the artistic validity of John Cage's '4.33'.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2015, 07:19 PM
(20-07-2015 03:25 AM)hilary Wrote:  I feel like people attack Christianity alot for it's bullshit, which I happily agree with and do myself, but I also attack Islam and other religions for the bullshit they spew out. Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?
it is because they have no balls. bully by nature is coward.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
25-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Oh I'm all about picking a fight with Islam. My ideal of secular imperialism is probably still a couple centuries early, so I'll take what I can get in the meantime.

'Murican Canadian
25-07-2015, 08:11 PM
I see plenty of attacks on Islam insofar as Americans equate the entirety of the faithful to the violent radicals.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
25-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Like all wars, what seems to be religion-based is really economics, at its core, with religious views to pump the Faithful "peasantry" up enough to become fodder on behalf of the wealthy/powerful classes.

Also, other countries besides the United States use the above tactic, I hear. Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
25-07-2015, 10:36 PM
(25-07-2015 08:11 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I see plenty of attacks on Islam insofar as Americans equate the entirety of the faithful to the violent radicals.

I don't think so; it's more the that the tenets of Islam legitimize the actions of the violent radicals. Same as with Christianity.

It can't be helped. When the credo is utterly insane, insanity of the credulous is inevitable.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
26-07-2015, 01:17 AM
(25-07-2015 10:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-07-2015 08:11 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I see plenty of attacks on Islam insofar as Americans equate the entirety of the faithful to the violent radicals.

I don't think so; it's more the that the tenets of Islam legitimize the actions of the violent radicals. Same as with Christianity.

It can't be helped. When the credo is utterly insane, insanity of the credulous is inevitable.

I disagree. Given that cherry-picking is a religious fact of life, one can go through the Koran and find God's mouthpiece being equally as schizophrenic there as he is in the Bible.

The broad-brushing of Muslims is not an attack on Islam per se, but it certainly is a criticism of its expression, albeit (in my opinion) one based more on media focus and irrational fears rather than actual numbers. The overwhelming majority of Muslims don't have suicide vests hanging in their closets.

But to the point of the thread, insinuating that Muslims are more inclined to killing folks over ideology seems to me to be an attack. That message is pretty rife in the American media.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
26-07-2015, 01:34 AM
(26-07-2015 01:17 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  But to the point of the thread, insinuating that Muslims are more inclined to killing folks over ideology seems to me to be an attack. That message is pretty rife in the American media.

It's useful to politicians and many other people to have a bogeyman. AFAIK Christianity is used (and has been for centuries) in the same way by the other side.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-07-2015, 01:40 AM
No doubt. American politics almost requires an outside enemy to lubricate the machinery.
26-07-2015, 01:45 AM
(26-07-2015 01:40 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  No doubt. American politics almost requires an outside enemy to lubricate the machinery.

Communism... nowadays I don't think I've heard any politicians going bananas over that stuff... It's not seen as the huge threat it once was...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post