Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2015, 02:16 AM
RE: Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?
Exactly. And before -- and after -- that: immigrants.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
26-07-2015, 12:47 PM
(26-07-2015 01:17 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(25-07-2015 10:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think so; it's more the that the tenets of Islam legitimize the actions of the violent radicals. Same as with Christianity.

It can't be helped. When the credo is utterly insane, insanity of the credulous is inevitable.

I disagree. Given that cherry-picking is a religious fact of life, one can go through the Koran and find God's mouthpiece being equally as schizophrenic there as he is in the Bible.

The broad-brushing of Muslims is not an attack on Islam per se, but it certainly is a criticism of its expression, albeit (in my opinion) one based more on media focus and irrational fears rather than actual numbers. The overwhelming majority of Muslims don't have suicide vests hanging in their closets.

But to the point of the thread, insinuating that Muslims are more inclined to killing folks over ideology seems to me to be an attack. That message is pretty rife in the American media.

Did you miss where I said "Same as with Christianity"? Consider

The fundamentals and fundamentalists of both those religions are what I was referring to.

Attacking Islam is not the same as attacking Muslims.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-07-2015, 01:01 PM
(20-07-2015 03:25 AM)hilary Wrote:  I feel like people attack Christianity alot for it's bullshit, which I happily agree with and do myself, but I also attack Islam and other religions for the bullshit they spew out. Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

I wait with bated breath for every opportunity to attack Islam, sadly few stagger into here, or other debate sites of which I belong to 4, altho, 99% of my time is spent here Unsure

It is child's play to eviscerate Islam, based on their pedo prophet's teachings and their qu'ran and hadith. A small sample here...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid674831

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid674834

I think we must endeavor to call them out at every opportunity given.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
26-07-2015, 08:03 PM
I don't deal or interact with believers of Islam hardly ever. Christianity is in my face 24/7 so it's at the forefront of my ongoings as an atheist.
26-07-2015, 11:04 PM
I agree with all of you who have pointed out that Islam gets less criticism because those of us in Christian-dominated countries don't know that much about it and, frankly, have bigger fish to fry in terms of how religion affects our nations' politics and such. Many of us don't interact with Islam on a daily basis like we do with Christianity when we talk to our Christian friends, family, coworkers, etc., so Islam doesn't seem like an immediate threat to our lifestyle or worldview.

I think there's more to it than that, though. I agree with Thumpalumpacus that Islam and Muslims take a bit of a beating in the United States when it comes to public opinion and respect for their religion. Islamaphobia is everywhere, especially among political and religious conservatives, who view the religion as a threat to both national security and Christianity. Muslims are a minority in the U.S. and many Western countries, and a rather hated one at that. They're not a powerful majority that abuses its power like Christians have been known to do, so I think we should be a little bit careful when we criticize Islam.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for calling out religious injustice, prejudice, preferential treatment, and any kind of abuse based on religion. I don't think Islam has any more validity than Christianity, and I think we should talk to Muslims about it, be open to having conversations, learn about their worldview, and tear it to shreds any time their worldview truly threatens to oppress others.

But I don't think we should add any more fuel to the racism that has gone into alienating Muslims and Middle Eastern people in general. Because, as much fun as it might be to start poking holes in Islam willy-nilly, one has to be very careful to express legitimate criticism of the religion without invoking the fear-mongering, mud-slinging hypocrisy that America has used to twist even the most peaceful Muslims into potentially violent terrorists.

So basically, I support criticism of Islam when it's done purposefully and carefully, but I don't think atheists need to attack it to the point of further marginalizing an already stigmatized minority. Honestly, jumping on the bandwagon and hating on Islam might have the reverse effect of giving Christianity more power in the country to combat the "terrorist threat." We're probably better off pointing out to Christians how similar and equally problematic their religion is to the hated Islamic terror religion, rather than joining them in tearing it down.
[+] 2 users Like GoodPointBear's post
27-07-2015, 01:41 AM
(26-07-2015 11:04 PM)GoodPointBear Wrote:  We're probably better off pointing out to Christians how similar and equally problematic their religion is to the hated Islamic terror religion, rather than joining them in tearing it down.

I rather say "in addition to". I agree that there's a danger of minority bashing, but even in America such things as honour killings are known, and should be condemned.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-07-2015, 04:54 AM
(20-07-2015 03:25 AM)hilary Wrote:  I feel like people attack Christianity alot for it's bullshit, which I happily agree with and do myself, but I also attack Islam and other religions for the bullshit they spew out. Why are so many people afraid to attack Islam?

Because you get shot and blamed for it because you deserved it for being so rude

"If something is true, no amount of wishful thinking will change it."
Richard Dawkins Bowing
I am part time vogon and owner of atheist websitehttp://proofevolutionisfalse.com
Best pal: Arthur Dent
27-07-2015, 05:06 AM
Whereas...

Beauty queen and vigilante female hackers declare online war on ISIS

This is encouraging.

27-07-2015, 09:47 AM
(26-07-2015 12:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  Did you miss where I said "Same as with Christianity"? Consider

No, I got that. But it seems that far too many Americans don't note that overlap of outlook, and single out Islam for it.

(26-07-2015 12:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  The fundamentals and fundamentalists of both those religions are what I was referring to.

Attacking Islam is not the same as attacking Muslims.

Which is exactly why I wrote:

(26-07-2015 01:17 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The broad-brushing of Muslims is not an attack on Islam per se, but it certainly is a criticism of its expression [...]
27-07-2015, 10:10 AM
There is occasionally a tinge of it in professional media realms.

But it's a gigantic stretch I think people pull by saying it's a fear to attack Islam.. The same case could be said by how little other religions are also ripped upon.

Are many people afraid to attack Hinduism? I don't see many people talking about Hindi's in outrage too often. Well, it's far more because of lack of dealings with the religion on a day to day or political basis for many people.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post