Why are the religious so scared?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2010, 12:24 PM
RE: Why are the religious so scared?
Here:

(07-03-2010 07:13 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  Sixth, I don’t want to use Pascal’s wager, but I really don’t know what the harm of believing in a God that doesn’t exist is. If we end up as worm food anyway, what’s the harm in praying, hoping for an eternal life, maybe giving you some purpose here on earth?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2010, 12:27 PM

"Sixth, I don’t want to use Pascal’s wager, but I really don’t know what the harm of believing in a God that doesn’t exist is. If we end up as worm food anyway, what’s the harm in praying, hoping for an eternal life, maybe giving you some purpose here on earth? "

Theres one...
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2010, 12:46 PM

(10-03-2010 12:27 PM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  "Sixth, I don’t want to use Pascal’s wager, but I really don’t know what the harm of believing in a God that doesn’t exist is. If we end up as worm food anyway, what’s the harm in praying, hoping for an eternal life, maybe giving you some purpose here on earth? "

Theres one...

That's the quote I said, that is not pascals wager. My point was what is the harm of believing in a non-existing God. That is clear from what I said.
10-03-2010, 12:56 PM
(10-03-2010 12:46 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  
(10-03-2010 12:27 PM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  "Sixth, I don’t want to use Pascal’s wager, but I really don’t know what the harm of believing in a God that doesn’t exist is. If we end up as worm food anyway, what’s the harm in praying, hoping for an eternal life, maybe giving you some purpose here on earth? "

Theres one...

That's the quote I said, that is not pascals wager. My point was what is the harm of believing in a non-existing God. That is clear from what I said.

And that is Pascal's Wager: "If you believe in God and he does not exist, you lose nothing. If you do not and he does, you lost everything."

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2010, 12:58 PM

(10-03-2010 12:46 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  

Theres one...

That is Pascal's Wager... the textual one is this

“ Endeavour then to convince yourself, not by increase of proofs of God, but by the abatement of your passions. You would like to attain faith, and do not know the way; you would like to cure yourself of unbelief, and ask the remedy for it. Learn of those who have been bound like you, and who now stake all their possessions. These are people who know the way which you would follow, and who are cured of an ill of which you would be cured. Follow the way by which they began; by acting as if they believed, bless yourself with holy water, have Masses said, and so on; by a simple and natural process this will make you believe, and will dull you—will quiet your proudly critical intellect...
Now, what harm will befall you in taking this side? You will be faithful, honest, humble, grateful, generous, a sincere friend, truthful. Certainly you will not have those poisonous pleasures, glory and luxury; but will you not have others? I will tell you that you will thereby gain in this life, and that, at each step you take on this road, you will see so great certainty of gain, so much nothingness in what you risk, that you will at last recognize that you have wagered for something certain and infinite, for which you have given nothing.[9]

Same.
11-03-2010, 01:29 PM

"What I'm talking about is 'fear of themselves', meaning if god and religion were successfully removed from their mentality, that they would become immoral in every way imaginable."

I know this to be utterly true for some. But not many, its not a completely psychotic world we live. I dont know why others will use this argument that morals come from gawd, and with out gawd we are with out morals, its really retarded and just isnt thought out well, is it?

"'religion was devised as a way to control people. If you take away religion, everyone will (paraphrasing) go 'crazy'"

I think religion was originally devised to explain phenomenon that man was unable to fathom in those dawning days. Of course there's no denying it became a way to control people and even a tool for extortion. Just scare people with the thought of deth or eternal hell fire, youl be surprised what theyl cough up. Governments use peoples fears and bigotry to control the sheep all the time. As long as they can demonize those infidels over there across the boarder, you can get the righteous and "just" to do just about anything.
11-03-2010, 01:33 PM

The following video was posted by philhellenes on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY0x_YNlhz8

After watching it, I can see how a religion would start and become a behemoth, snowballing out of control. Doesn't make it right...just puts it into perspective.
24-03-2010, 07:39 PM

Time for a little humor here. You all come across as a bunch of mass debaters :-)
25-03-2010, 05:42 PM

(24-03-2010 07:39 PM)Jonandrew Wrote:  Time for a little humor here. You all come across as a bunch of mass debaters :-)
And cunning linguists.

Religions have to perpetuate fear. It's the only way they can sell their product.