Why are the sluts at slutwalks ashamed of being sluts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2016, 06:22 PM
RE: Why are the sluts at slutwalks ashamed of being sluts?
(06-09-2016 10:56 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Christ, I'm so confused now. Rollerball? .......Like this kind of rollerball?

[Image: Paul-Shipper-Rollerball-Movie-Poster-1.jpg]
Next Sunday AD?
Just going off the phrase in the poster.....

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Ok, I had to look this up because I'd never heard of slutwalks before..... on account of the rock I live under.

From Wikipedia:

SlutWalk is a transnational movement of protest marches calling for an end to rape culture. Specifically, participants protest against explaining or excusing rape by referring to any aspect of a woman's appearance.

So there you have it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
06-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Well, I don't see anything wrong with speaking up against excusing rape. But that phrase "rape culture" grates. If they at least grafted the prefix "sub-" onto the word culture it would be closer to accurate. But behaving as if it's the cultural norm does nothing for their credibility.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-09-2016, 06:47 AM
I think the term slut was a poor choice, too heavily burdened with negative connotations. Below are some alternatives...granted non roll off the tongue like Slutwalk.

Freedom from Sexual Harassment Walk

Freedom From Rape Walk

Don’t Be a Dick Walk

Keep it in you Pant’s Pocket Walk

No Means NO Walk

Pull It Out and I’ll Cut It Off Walk

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
07-09-2016, 07:02 AM
(06-09-2016 11:56 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Well, I don't see anything wrong with speaking up against excusing rape. But that phrase "rape culture" grates. If they at least grafted the prefix "sub-" onto the word culture it would be closer to accurate. But behaving as if it's the cultural norm does nothing for their credibility.

They don't mean that rape is the cultural norm, they mean that blaming the attire of the victim is the norm in court, as well as blaming them because of their sexual past. That is also much of the reason why women don't report rape. They are portrayed as sluts in court.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
07-09-2016, 11:04 AM
(07-09-2016 07:02 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 11:56 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Well, I don't see anything wrong with speaking up against excusing rape. But that phrase "rape culture" grates. If they at least grafted the prefix "sub-" onto the word culture it would be closer to accurate. But behaving as if it's the cultural norm does nothing for their credibility.

They don't mean that rape is the cultural norm, they mean that blaming the attire of the victim is the norm in court, as well as blaming them because of their sexual past. That is also much of the reason why women don't report rape. They are portrayed as sluts in court.

Then the word "culture" is even more inapt.

Sounds to me like they should be picketing defense attorneys.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-09-2016, 11:05 AM
(07-09-2016 06:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I think the term slut was a poor choice, too heavily burdened with negative connotations. Below are some alternatives...granted non roll off the tongue like Slutwalk.

Freedom From Rape Walk

Don’t Be a Dick Walk

No Means NO Walk

I dunno, "slutwalk" certainly gets my attention. What's not to like about a gathering of sluts?
07-09-2016, 11:23 AM
(07-09-2016 11:05 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 06:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I think the term slut was a poor choice, too heavily burdened with negative connotations. Below are some alternatives...granted non roll off the tongue like Slutwalk.

Freedom From Rape Walk

Don’t Be a Dick Walk

No Means NO Walk

I dunno, "slutwalk" certainly gets my attention. What's not to like about a gathering of sluts?

I have seen images of German slut walks where they are all naked. I suppose the intent there is to show you that even if a woman is naked, it's not an invitation to sex. The point is that they are NOT sluts.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-09-2016, 11:29 PM
(06-09-2016 06:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(06-09-2016 01:21 PM)Vosur Wrote:  They call it that when a bunch of people get together to protest against 'rape culture' while being scantily clad.

Exhibit A:

[Image: XP9DDs.jpg]

I don't get this. What culture?
Rape is already looked heavily down upon. It's considered one of the worst crimes someone can commit.

If we wanna talk about rape culture, what about how the inequality between the two genders on this topic is HEAVILY favored towards women while men get shunned. At least women rape victims, at least now a days, are taken seriously.
Men rape victims, "men can't get raped". If a women checks out a guy it's flirtatious. If a guy looks at a women its perverted. If a women suddenly kisses a guy its flirtatious. If a guy suddenly kisses a girl its perverted and borderline molestation. If a women gropes a man, nobody cares. If a man gropes a women he goes to jail.
It's even worse when it comes to domestic violence committed against men by their female spouses. Just look at how many women's abuse shelters there are compared to those for men.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
07-09-2016, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 11:58 PM by ClydeLee.)
Why are the sluts at slutwalks ashamed of being sluts?
Pretty sure from what I recall, at least the main one I knew of, it began because some police chief had a comment about preventing rape that had the proclimation that women shouldn't dress like sluts.

So that's why they keep going on known as slutwalks and made for that point. Saying the term slut is too burdened with negative connotations is its intent though. To some people the term atheist for any use rubs off to people in the sane way as too negative and full of phony concepts.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson