Why are theists unable to think critically about their beliefs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2014, 09:18 PM
RE: Why are theists unable to think critically about their beliefs?
That makes sense.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Why are theists unable to think critically about their beliefs?
Compartmentalization.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
24-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Most theists are deluded and brainwashed. Some are really stupid people. You can't argue with stupid people. They don't understand the flaws of their beliefs or ideas.
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
24-05-2014, 11:32 PM
The fact that books like the Bible and Quran are filled with contradictions certainly contributes to it. People could find tons of reasons to justify killing other people in those books. All the contradictory crap in there allows them to comfort themselves by cherry picking which part they like for whatever situation. Then they can just go convincing themselves that what they are doing is right because it is in their holy book.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
24-05-2014, 11:34 PM
(24-05-2014 11:00 PM)Leo Wrote:  Most theists are deluded and brainwashed. Some are really stupid people. You can't argue with stupid people. They don't understand the flaws of their beliefs or ideas.

Earlier today I read an article about a study people ran that showed the more intelligent a person the more likely they were to be atheist. It was pretty interesting.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
[+] 1 user Likes Elskidor's post
24-05-2014, 11:54 PM
If I tell my child there is an invisible elephant in my back pocket and indoctrinate them with the belief that if they do not believe in the elephant, The elephant will hurt them badly. If they still do not believe I will use examples of other people getting hurt through natural means like illness and hurricanes to convince them that the elephant is hurting others in order to give you a sign of his wrath.

Then demand they teach his/her children about the elephant.

Eventually we have people who are so thoroughly brain washed that they cannot possibly fathom the idea they are brain washed by a tyrannical person like me who used my stories and supernatural and things we cannot currently explain to control others.

In short, They simply lack the ability or the courage to be able to recognize this.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
25-05-2014, 01:55 AM
(24-05-2014 07:03 PM)give me moon rocks Wrote:  I've never been a believer, but I've recently become very fascinated by the topic of deconversion. The common thread among these stories is that the process was sparked by actually examining the beliefs.

In speaking with my religious acquaintances about their ideologies, I have gotten the impression that these people have NEVER asked questions.

Any former theists wanna weight in on why it's hard for theists to do this?

Religion is about comfort. God is a person that makes the world a good place, he takes care of you when you die, he is your personal friend while you are alive. Pray to him, any time, anywhere, and maybe god will make everything alright. Its like a grown person Santa Clause. Logic and evidence have nothing to do with how religion makes a person feel, and in the end, for most people, its about how they feel not about what seems reasonable to think.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
25-05-2014, 03:10 AM
Along with the tenants, one is also taught that it is okay to not have an answer to some "mysteries", but that such unknowns are not enough to throw out the religion itself. Fear, admonitions to avoid bad behavior, and guilt are employed very early and effectively. Impose this on a pre-rational mind and you have yourself an adherent.
[+] 1 user Likes closet.atheist's post
25-05-2014, 03:43 AM
I'd say we are deceived by modern digital technology. We tend to think of the brain as a digital computer and we see how easy it is to copy or delete programs. We see no reason why it should be any different with the brain. At school or church we are forced to be like the computers, memorizing information, parroting it, regurgitating it back when demanded.
This is not what it means to be sentient.

Maybe the brain is a computer, but it is a read only memory. Driving in the grooves is very easy and it gets so automated that it drops into the unconscious. However, re-writing the brain with new synapses, especially in place of old synapses is extremely difficult, painful and exhausting.
Why is that so? Because these particular synapses were imprinted using violence, pain and fear! If we are strongly conditioned, we need an equal strength and greater intellect (and a lot of free time) to overcome this conditioning.

The brain has to make or prune synapses by intellectual input, or it degenerates and it may lead to death. Sensory deprivation means severe brain damage or death for infants. But there is a great difference if the imprinting is done by violence and arbitrary make-believe rules, or by mirroring, logic and negotiation.

Mirroring is letting the child's emotions have an effect on other people. Negotiation is staying an authentic person when the child can handle it. If the toddler asserts its will, then logically we are allowed to show our will too. Freedom for you is freedom for me. Children are very good at logic, because they make general rules of everything they see, they generalize. They assume if you do something, they should do it too. If you use the rule "do as I say, not as I do", you lose their respect and you damage their brain.

In that sense, most of us are morally damaged. This damage is like a hole in the firewall in which all sorts of viruses and Trojan horses can get in and control the brain. Both Church and State are such Trojan horses. A virus can turn a computer into a network zombie, a slave unit. So can mental viruses. When many people positively behave in the same way according to positive, explicit rules, RUN!
25-05-2014, 06:12 AM
(24-05-2014 07:03 PM)give me moon rocks Wrote:  I've never been a believer, but I've recently become very fascinated by the topic of deconversion. The common thread among these stories is that the process was sparked by actually examining the beliefs.

In speaking with my religious acquaintances about their ideologies, I have gotten the impression that these people have NEVER asked questions.

Any former theists wanna weight in on why it's hard for theists to do this?

Why are theists unable to think critically about their beliefs? It's called compartmentalization. That, and many have their beliefs precisely because they don't think critically of them, so it stands to reason that they won't think critically about their beliefs.

As for my three decades as a theist: a lot of it was being spoon-fed a narrative that I simply never questioned. I was never really exposed to any dissenting view points until college. Around five years later, I realized I had some serious doubts. When I realized the doubts weren't going away on their own, I tried to make myself believe. This involved a lot of thinking about my beliefs and reading the Bible.

It turns out, critically thinking about Christianity and reading the Bible were detrimental to my faith, and I eventually embraced my lack of belief.