Why are theists unable to think critically about their beliefs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2014, 08:52 AM
RE: Why are theists unable to think critically about their beliefs?
People build their entire life on this phantasy of having someone all powerful looking out for them, listening to their woes and helping them along.

Take that away from an older person, and you are pulling the rug out from under their feet.

The younger you are, the easier it is to disengage. Plus, the younger generations have all the info available to them, while the older folks had just the church library close by in many cases...

People who have believed for a long time have their entire life built around god, and removing him has the same effect as losing a life partner of many years, there is grief and anger and the whole shebang...it is not good and some would not be able to cope at all.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2014, 10:23 AM
RE: Why are theists unable to think critically about their beliefs?
(25-05-2014 03:43 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I'd say we are deceived by modern digital technology. We tend to think of the brain as a digital computer and we see how easy it is to copy or delete programs. We see no reason why it should be any different with the brain. At school or church we are forced to be like the computers, memorizing information, parroting it, regurgitating it back when demanded.
This is not what it means to be sentient.

Maybe the brain is a computer, but it is a read only memory. Driving in the grooves is very easy and it gets so automated that it drops into the unconscious. However, re-writing the brain with new synapses, especially in place of old synapses is extremely difficult, painful and exhausting.
Why is that so? Because these particular synapses were imprinted using violence, pain and fear! If we are strongly conditioned, we need an equal strength and greater intellect (and a lot of free time) to overcome this conditioning.

The brain has to make or prune synapses by intellectual input, or it degenerates and it may lead to death. Sensory deprivation means severe brain damage or death for infants. But there is a great difference if the imprinting is done by violence and arbitrary make-believe rules, or by mirroring, logic and negotiation.

Mirroring is letting the child's emotions have an effect on other people. Negotiation is staying an authentic person when the child can handle it. If the toddler asserts its will, then logically we are allowed to show our will too. Freedom for you is freedom for me. Children are very good at logic, because they make general rules of everything they see, they generalize. They assume if you do something, they should do it too. If you use the rule "do as I say, not as I do", you lose their respect and you damage their brain.

In that sense, most of us are morally damaged. This damage is like a hole in the firewall in which all sorts of viruses and Trojan horses can get in and control the brain. Both Church and State are such Trojan horses. A virus can turn a computer into a network zombie, a slave unit. So can mental viruses. When many people positively behave in the same way according to positive, explicit rules, RUN!

OH, goodie, I thought we were rid of this incoherent drivel.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post