Why are there woman vicars in churches when the Bible says the following...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Why are there woman vicars in churches when the Bible says the following...
Corinthians 14:34-35 in the New Testament says:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

Along with all the other verses in the Bible telling us women are second class citizens, this surely shows how silly women vicars are to have read the Bible and not seen an issue with its subjugation of women, and decided they will actively preach this to everyone else, especially when it clearly says women should have no power to preach in church.
This is in the NT so that stops theists giving their usual excuse for rules in the OT like "Oh, God changed his rules", these are in the NT and all the latest rules and there is no reason to think he changed his mind.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoroeau

Please check out my YouTube channel! Thumbsup http://www.youtube.com/user/1ScottUK
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheLogicalAthiest's post
23-03-2013, 06:47 PM
RE: Why are there woman vicars in churches when the Bible says the following...
(23-03-2013 06:19 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Corinthians 14:34-35 in the New Testament says:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

Along with all the other verses in the Bible telling us women are second class citizens, this surely shows how silly women vicars are to have read the Bible and not seen an issue with its subjugation of women, and decided they will actively preach this to everyone else, especially when it clearly says women should have no power to preach in church.
This is in the NT so that stops theists giving their usual excuse for rules in the OT like "Oh, God changed his rules", these are in the NT and all the latest rules and there is no reason to think he changed his mind.

If you haven't noticed, religious people are very fond of making up what kind of christianity they would prefer, and then utilizing their superior cognitive dissonance skills to justify it.

It's silly, I know. I stopped trying to understand it, but fuck me if I didn't believe it for most of my life.
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
23-03-2013, 06:52 PM
(23-03-2013 06:19 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Corinthians 14:34-35 in the New Testament says:

That's a harsh quote. I'm surprised it didn't include something like this for the last sentence: "And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: after they have filled his snack tray with Beer, Doritos and Dip, and before the football games begin".

Anyways...it's a good quote to know. Thanks for posting.
23-03-2013, 06:53 PM
As time passes, the hypocrisy becomes more transparent. It's a sign of desperation. Rejoice!

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
23-03-2013, 06:54 PM
(23-03-2013 06:47 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  If you haven't noticed, religious people are very fond of making up what kind of christianity they would prefer, and then utilizing their superior cognitive dissonance skills to justify it.

It's silly, I know. I stopped trying to understand it, but fuck me if I didn't believe it for most of my life.
Its very true when you say Christians like to make up their own version of Christianity. I know people who believe in God but have never even read the Bible, the book to them which is meant to be inspired by the creator and tells us the meaning of life and how to get into heaven!! So they have no idea what rules to follow, they make up there own, it seems as long as they believe in him they think they can do whatever they want and still think they will go to heaven which is so silly.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoroeau

Please check out my YouTube channel! Thumbsup http://www.youtube.com/user/1ScottUK
[+] 1 user Likes TheLogicalAthiest's post
23-03-2013, 07:00 PM
(23-03-2013 06:54 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 06:47 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  If you haven't noticed, religious people are very fond of making up what kind of christianity they would prefer, and then utilizing their superior cognitive dissonance skills to justify it.

Its very true when you say Christians like to make up their own version of Christianity. I know people who believe in God but have never even read the Bible, the book to them which is meant to be inspired by the creator and tells us the meaning of life and how to get into heaven!! So they have no idea what rules to follow, they make up there own, it seems as long as they believe in him they think they can do whatever they want and still think they will go to heaven which is so silly.
Count me as one of the people who believed yet had never seriously read the Bible. When I started reading the Bible, I was shocked at the stupidity and mean-spirited nature of it, yet I made excuses for it for awhile until...it wouldn't stop. I mean, stupidity and cruelty just saturated the whole damned book! Page after Page after Page of mean-spirited Lunacy eventually convinced me that this was a con job....and I had been a mark.
23-03-2013, 07:01 PM
(23-03-2013 06:52 PM)Julius Wrote:  

That's a harsh quote. I'm surprised it didn't include something like this for the last sentence: "And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: after they have filled his snack tray with Beer, Doritos and Dip, and before the football games begin".

Anyways...it's a good quote to know. Thanks for posting.
There are some other good quotes which are useful when talking about how women are spoken about in the Bible and are useful when talking to female theists, I told this to my Christian mother and she had no idea, she didn't believe me that it was in the Bible until I showed her.
A quick Google search will find even more. I think its silly that so many women are Christians, or any religion for that matter as a lot of them seem to treat women as lower class, for example Islam. I guess its not that surprising, many Christians I know haven't even read the Bible fully.

23-03-2013, 07:01 PM
I spent many years trapped in Roman Catholicism. They spoon feed you the scriptures they want you to read and then tell you what they mean. The awful bits are swept under the carpet. I never read the entire thing until my early 20s, AFTER I decided to wake up. I think this is pretty typical. It's also a great advantage when debating the faithful.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
23-03-2013, 07:08 PM
(23-03-2013 06:54 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  

A good friend of mine claims to be a Christian, but only reads the gospels and ignores the rest. (well I'm pretty certain he doesn't read them regularly, he's a very "unchristian" Christian)

But what the fuck? Jesus himself very strongly teaches to uphold the Jewish law. So you can't believe the gospels and Jesus' teachings without also adhering to the old testament as well. Any time I suggest a video or other material to look at he just refuses.

Pretty sure he knows I'm right about religion, he's just too afraid to challenge his comfortable worldview. Seems to be a very human thing to do, but I'm working on him.
23-03-2013, 07:17 PM
(23-03-2013 07:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  A good friend of mine claims to be a Christian, but only reads the gospels and ignores the rest. (well I'm pretty certain he doesn't read them regularly, he's a very "unchristian" Christian)

But what the fuck? Jesus himself very strongly teaches to uphold the Jewish law. So you can't believe the gospels and Jesus' teachings without also adhering to the old testament as well. Any time I suggest a video or other material to look at he just refuses.

Pretty sure he knows I'm right about religion, he's just too afraid to challenge his comfortable worldview. Seems to be a very human thing to do, but I'm working on him.
That's the problem with religious people though, they are misinformed about their religion and then when they are shown contradictions and all the nasty things they are not told at church they don't want to listen. And its not like we are making it up, we are using the same book which they happily like to cherry pick verses from. When I Google issues I find many websites where religion people just comfort each other and make up answers to difficult questions with biased answers to help carry on the delusion and act as some sort of confirmation bias that their God is correct and the don't have to deal with any uncomfortable views. For example if you read the Bible properly, no rationally person can tell you women are seen as having the same value as men, yet when you Google are women treated as second class citizens in the Bible, all the Christians say No, which is just an ignorant lie.