Why are we here?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
21-12-2014, 12:44 AM
RE: Why are we here?
When you live with and around people who keep refering to false knowledge, you need this forum. False knowledge is saying crying unto the Lord is a solution to real world problems.

A family member told me about Isaac who had some cattle. He dug wells for them but people would pour sand in them. But he kept digging more and they kept pouring sand. He cried to the Lord and his haters left him alone.

My question was what plan did he put in place to solve his problem. She looked at me in the face like I was stupid and said he cried to the lord nigga! Should I read the scripture again?

See? False knowledge.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post
21-12-2014, 02:06 AM
I find it a humbling experience.

Seriously (for a change).

Blush

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-12-2014, 05:04 AM
I'm not here and any rumors stating otherwise are unsubstantiated.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-12-2014, 05:19 AM
(21-12-2014 05:04 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I'm not here and any rumors stating otherwise are unsubstantiated.

[Image: 1199455870343.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
21-12-2014, 07:00 AM
(20-12-2014 07:44 PM)gofish! Wrote:  No, not THAT old question, but literally "why are we here on this forum"?

I'm new here and it is sometime since I've bothered with a forum, mainly because my focus is on my personal purpose (supporting the family I love). But it did occur to me that being able to shoot the breeze with some fellow atheists might be entertaining.

However, given some appear to give over inordinate amounts of time to "theist bating" (arguing with fundamentalists, which I find to be particularly boring and unsatisfying) I was curious as to what draws others here.

I enjoy conversing with like minded individuals. I also like sponging up the knowledge of others. I do spend a lot of time debating theists, but they don't come here often, and if they do, they don't last long. Once their worldview is completely dismantled they tend to run away, or they are here less then 3 days and get banned for rule violation, like mass spamming you all are going to hell. This is not the place to come to "debate theists."

Why do I debate theists? Because as an intelligent, educated person it is my moral duty to do so. I used to ignore it, what do I care what delusion someone clings to...but that is the problem, if they just rocked back and forth in their little brick buildings while screaming hail jesus it would be all good. But they are not content to stop there, they feel the need to physically and financially support like minded political candidates into office, so that their worldview can be pressed into law based on their religious views. Like block stem cell research, abortion rights, who you can marry and how you can have sex, and the worse...slither pseudo-science "intelligent design" BS creationism into public schools, so they can brain wash the next generation. Public schools are places of learning, and this snake oil has no basis in reality, thus has no place in public schools.

So I debate, and financially and physically support atheistic outlooks. I do not debate hoping to "de-convert" the delusional person I am debating, I do it to expose the watchers of the debate to knowledge, facts, reason, and logic. Plant a few seeds, and hope a few of them will go research something I said, and find out, holy shit, it is true...and thus they start on the path of enlightenment...to truth and away from myth. One person at a time, we can make a difference.

As atheists we can't complain about the religious obsessed society we live in, while doing nothing to change it.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
21-12-2014, 09:15 AM
I live and work pretty isolated from humanity. The immediate surrounding area holds a plethora of rabid believers. So when I get tired of talking to the animals, it's refreshing to come here and interact with rational, intelligent adults*.

*with a few exceptions

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
21-12-2014, 09:36 AM
I learn a lot here.
21-12-2014, 02:26 PM
(21-12-2014 07:00 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  As atheists we can't complain about the religious obsessed society we live in, while doing nothing to change it.

Agreed.

While I find fundie-baiting (aka teasing) ultimately boring, I'll not condemn others who engage it...whatever floats your boat, I say.

But debate is a different issue: as you say it is a moral duty. Fora such as this provide a place to learn the arguments and practice the debate. Share ideas and knowledge.

But I do feel that religion is best tackled one-on-one....in person.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
21-12-2014, 02:39 PM
(21-12-2014 02:26 PM)gofish! Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 07:00 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  As atheists we can't complain about the religious obsessed society we live in, while doing nothing to change it.

Agreed.

While I find fundie-baiting (aka teasing) ultimately boring, I'll not condemn others who engage it...whatever floats your boat, I say.

But debate is a different issue: as you say it is a moral duty. Fora such as this provide a place to learn the arguments and practice the debate. Share ideas and knowledge.

But I do feel that religion is best tackled one-on-one....in person.

Confused Um. I can't wait for the next fundie to drop by the forum. It's fun! Big Grin

But I'm mostly here because most of the members here are smart Smartass, intelligentEinstein and funny Laugh out load Banana_zorro

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Fucked if I know Dodgy Came here for shits & giggles, stayed for the good people that we meet...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post