Why are we here?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
21-12-2014, 11:14 PM
RE: Why are we here?
(21-12-2014 11:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  I haven't the faintest idea. There I was, just surfin' da webz and next thing you know, I'm here.

Now I can't find the freakin' door. Dodgy

Kinda like -

Figured I better ground my own reference.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
21-12-2014, 11:22 PM
(21-12-2014 11:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 10:49 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  and decided that the overwhelming majority of members aren't dipshits.

[Image: tumblr_mn7gcbcXsQ1s4f4t0o1_400.gif]

To be fair, I do make it look good.

Or sound good, depending on who you ask.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
26-12-2014, 05:07 AM
Must admit that as I spend more time here, I'm finding the lack of oppressive rules here very cool. The rules that do exist are possibly the fewest you could have to make it functional.

Somehow that's deeply satisfying: it's almost as satisfying as that "ffffphutt!" sound you get breaking the paper seal of a coffee jar....

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
26-12-2014, 05:20 AM
For me the theists are chew toys and I enjoy finding novel ways to play with them.

I also don't have any real life friends because I move around too much so this is a good place to endulge in banter.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
26-12-2014, 05:55 AM
(20-12-2014 07:44 PM)gofish! Wrote:  No, not THAT old question, but literally "why are we here on this forum"?

I'm new here and it is sometime since I've bothered with a forum, mainly because my focus is on my personal purpose (supporting the family I love). But it did occur to me that being able to shoot the breeze with some fellow atheists might be entertaining.

However, given some appear to give over inordinate amounts of time to "theist bating" (arguing with fundamentalists, which I find to be particularly boring and unsatisfying) I was curious as to what draws others here.

I came here during a brief part of my inconsequential life in which I had become obsessive about my non-belief; I was devouring videos on YouTube by the dozen to try to learn more (make no mistake, I've been a non-believer and outright heather for my whole life). Eventually I came across one of Seth's YouTube podcasts and even more eventually I listened too it; he mentioned a forum he had.
'That must be a wonderful resource! I can talk to others about it and learn more and become better!' The prospect of understanding drew my initial interest, but I also had nobody to talk to in reality; the subject is hardly one of interest to others in my family and I can scarcely have what I find to be an intellectually stimulating conversation with them anyway and I, then as now, had very few friends and I was too anxious to attempt to bring up topics with them anyway. So, amidst constant screaming in the back of my mind to not do it because people, I joined. I forgot the forum for about two months and finally worked up the balls to start posting properly.

I came for information and out of the desire to speak to people I felt might but my kin, so to speak. I stay for the people. The trolls are a bonus though; their inane blathering occasionally lets me stretch my woefully inadequate grey matter a little.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
26-12-2014, 07:41 AM
(26-12-2014 05:55 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I came here during a brief part of my inconsequential life in which I had become obsessive about my non-belief; I was devouring videos on YouTube by the dozen to try to learn more (make no mistake, I've been a non-believer and outright heather for my whole life). Eventually I came across one of Seth's YouTube podcasts and even more eventually I listened too it; he mentioned a forum he had.
'That must be a wonderful resource! I can talk to others about it and learn more and become better!' The prospect of understanding drew my initial interest, but I also had nobody to talk to in reality; the subject is hardly one of interest to others in my family and I can scarcely have what I find to be an intellectually stimulating conversation with them anyway and I, then as now, had very few friends and I was too anxious to attempt to bring up topics with them anyway. So, amidst constant screaming in the back of my mind to not do it because people, I joined. I forgot the forum for about two months and finally worked up the balls to start posting properly.

I came for information and out of the desire to speak to people I felt might but my kin, so to speak. I stay for the people. The trolls are a bonus though; their inane blathering occasionally lets me stretch my woefully inadequate grey matter a little.

The people? Too soon for me to tell as I'm still new, but there are encouraging signs.

But I really find it tiring arguing with nut-bar fundamentalists purely because it is impossible to argue meaningfully with someone who recognises no greater authority than his/her own and is predisposed to ignoring some basic tools (e.g. logic and critical thinking). I suspect fundamentalism is great for training oneself to argue selectively and without intellectual integrity.

As the sole breadwinner for my family I don't have the time, as a person who aspires to intellectual integrity, I don't have the motivation, and as a person, I just don't get off putting people down. It's just too much of a waste of time.

Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
26-12-2014, 08:46 AM
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
26-12-2014, 08:57 AM
(26-12-2014 08:46 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Well there's always that. :0)

Me.
26-12-2014, 09:08 AM
(26-12-2014 08:46 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Has the problem of implying that the infantile mouth-breathers* who both choose to post here and deserve the appellation; "enemy," are capable of maintaining a relationship but it's otherwise accurate.

*Whats wrong with breathing through your mouth anyway? I don't think I've ever understood that as an insult.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
26-12-2014, 09:09 AM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post