Why are you a member of a (secular) humanist organization?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Why are you a member of a (secular) humanist organization?
I have a question for those who are members of self-identified (secular) humanist associations. What motivates you to be a member of a (secular) humanist organization?

Are you members, primarily, because of their self-describe humanist worldview that you share, or because of their more political positions such as support for separation between religion and government? Or perhaps because you support non-religious ceremonies? Or some other reason entirely...?

Do you see humanist organizations as a subset of organized atheism, or something of its own?

In Sweden there is a bit of a conflict within the national humanist association about if they should be a "lifestance" organization, a full-fledged alternative to religion, or if they should be more of a purely politically secularist organization. So I'm curious as to how this issue is viewed abroad by members of humanist organizations.

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2015, 03:09 PM
RE: Why are you a member of a (secular) humanist organization?
The term 'humanism' (small 'h') is a general term. Secular Humanism is a complete worldview which I do support although I'm not currently a member of any such organization. I don't see it as organized atheism as atheism is just one component of Secular Humanism. Here in the USA, atheism could be seen as the most notable part because of how much that is frowned on here. Any political aspect of a Secular Humanism organization here would probably focus on support for church-state separation. That is not exclusively an atheism interest though. It benefits everyone except those wishing to impose their religious beliefs on others.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes AFTT47's post
14-04-2015, 04:06 PM
As a rule I don't join anything......

I was going to join "Book of the Month Club" -- but the bylaws seemed a bit too draconian for my sensibilities...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
14-04-2015, 05:12 PM
I went to a couple of meetings at a humanist and freethinkers group in my area. It was populated by about 7-12 or so old people and the first time I went we watched a short documentary on milgrams obedience experiments and the second time was a alternative for corporations etc.

I didn't really care for it. I might try it again, but i don't really think its my kinda thing to go to. Especially since its so very few numbers and populated by people way out of my peer group.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
14-04-2015, 05:28 PM
I sporadically attend a Unitarian/Universalist society (they don't like the term "church") and am thinking of becoming a member. They are basically a secular humanist organization, no doctrinal statement or litmus test, and the one I'm attending has more agnostics and atheists than theists ... and many of the theists are Buddhists by practice, which is a godless religion anyway.

There are certainly political activists in this group and there are people who are more into what you call "lifestance" or what they would call, very loosely, "spirituality". The only rule is that everyone respects everyone else, including their need for personal space. The emphasis is on open minded exploration rather than dogma.

I am toying with this mainly because of social need -- I'm getting old, and someday when I fall down the stairs and break my hip, I hope someone will notice and want to help. We're certainly not counting on our children to fill that office. In the meantime maybe I can be of help to others. Also my wife and I are fairly new in this town, both are fairly withheld introverts, and making friends randomly happens at a snail's pace for us. We hope this will speed it up a bit.

Finally I think everyone benefits from being part of shared goals greater than they could accomplish alone -- even if only in small ways. Organizations like this enable such benefits. For example we are in a college town, and every year, just before the fall term, this organization has a second hand sale of items donated by members. It provides affordable clothing, furniture and accessories for students (they line up around the block to get in) and it generates about $20k of revenue for the organization. Seems like a win-win to me.
15-04-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm a member of the SSA. Because I've been on the receiving end of hostility and violence because I am an atheist in OK I want to know I'm not alone.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
15-04-2015, 04:23 PM
(14-04-2015 04:06 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  As a rule I don't join anything......

I was going to join "Book of the Month Club" -- but the bylaws seemed a bit too draconian for my sensibilities...

I thought it was obvious the questions in the OP were only directed to those who are members.

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
15-04-2015, 04:30 PM
(15-04-2015 04:23 PM)Loki Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 04:06 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  As a rule I don't join anything......

I thought it was obvious the questions in the OP were only directed to those who are members.

Would a "winking smiley face" have cleared it up for you???

Or don't they have humor in Valhalla??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
15-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Because four or so times a year the local 'Skeptics' group puts on a good spread at a sports club and the guest speakers they encourage to give a talk are entertaining/educational.

Plus, the 'Magician's night' they have once a year is always awesome.

Much cheers to all.
16-04-2015, 10:06 AM
I get discounts on hotels and rental cars and other stuff by being a member of AARP.

#sigh