Why are you a non believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Why are you a non believer?
A few days ago, an illusionist came to our school during lunch. He was performing and etc in front of us, and offered us all to go see his full show at the Baptist Church on Thursday night. (Tonight) I just got home from it, about an hour and a half worth of illusions and magic tricks were done, then here it was: The preaching session. And he was talking about how we could all get into heaven, I may have just been focused on texting the entire time. Thumbsup BUT, then they started doing door prizes. (When we came in, we wrote down our name, age, and church we attended) I wrote N/A on the church line, my name was called and my card was read off, he publicly asked me why I had put N/A, I told him I wasn't a believer. He asked me "Why?" and I just told him: "I was born an atheist and I was fortunate enough not to be indoctrinated into one of the many religions available. My parents taught me it was better to live a life dedicated to my people and myself rather than one of many thousands of gods and religions". In which is said that there is only one true god blah blah blah, I decided not to argue with him in front of all my friends and all the citizens that were there. And when I sat down I got so many glares, BUT. It made me wonder, why fellow atheists/non believers are not religious? And I was hoping you would all share why you are not a believer, and if you are a believer, why?

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Misenhelter's post
11-04-2013, 08:16 PM
RE: Why are you a non believer?
(11-04-2013 08:07 PM)Misenhelter Wrote:  A few days ago, an illusionist came to our school during lunch. He was performing and etc in front of us, and offered us all to go see his full show at the Baptist Church on Thursday night. (Tonight) I just got home from it, about an hour and a half worth of illusions and magic tricks were done, then here it was: The preaching session. And he was talking about how we could all get into heaven, I may have just been focused on texting the entire time. Thumbsup BUT, then they started doing door prizes. (When we came in, we wrote down our name, age, and church we attended) I wrote N/A on the church line, my name was called and my card was read off, he publicly asked me why I had put N/A, I told him I wasn't a believer. He asked me "Why?" and I just told him: "I was born an atheist and I was fortunate enough not to be indoctrinated into one of the many religions available. My parents taught me it was better to live a life dedicated to my people and myself rather than one of many thousands of gods and religions". In which is said that there is only one true god blah blah blah, I decided not to argue with him in front of all my friends and all the citizens that were there. And when I sat down I got so many glares, BUT. It made me wonder, why fellow atheists/non believers are not religious? And I was hoping you would all share why you are not a believer, and if you are a believer, why?

Nicely done!
I applaud your courage to say what your position is in this religion crazed country.

I didn't become an atheist overnight, the religion just dissapeared under the intense flme of reality like wax on a candle.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
11-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Same reason as you. I was born to atheist parents (well, my mom is actually a deist, but still)

I actually did convert to Christianity for about a week when I was like 9 or so, and then I realized how full of shit it was, and reverted back to atheism.

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
[+] 1 user Likes My proboscis sucks's post
11-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Because when I was 10 I read the whole bible, decided god was a disgusting thing and put the whole thing away with my fairytales. Simple when you are 10, although I was very catholic until I started reading the first testament. My parents didn't care whether I was religious or not - or so I thought. Turns out decades later that they were closet atheists, and they were quite delighted when I tossed the bible.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
11-04-2013, 08:20 PM
(11-04-2013 08:18 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  Same reason as you. I was born to atheist parents (well, my mom is actually a deist, but still)

I actually did convert to Christianity for about a week when I was like 9 or so, and then I realized how full of shit it was, and reverted back to atheism.

Sounds kind of like my life, when I was in elementary school I would spend the night at my friends houses on saturdays, and they all went to church, so I just kind of assumed I believed in it because I didn't know any better, but my sister kind of pointed out the obvious of religious fallacies so I just got rid of the label at the age of around 10.

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
11-04-2013, 08:21 PM
(11-04-2013 08:07 PM)Misenhelter Wrote:  A few days ago, an illusionist came to our school during lunch. He was performing and etc in front of us, and offered us all to go see his full show at the Baptist Church on Thursday night. (Tonight) I just got home from it, about an hour and a half worth of illusions and magic tricks were done, then here it was: The preaching session. And he was talking about how we could all get into heaven, I may have just been focused on texting the entire time. Thumbsup BUT, then they started doing door prizes. (When we came in, we wrote down our name, age, and church we attended) I wrote N/A on the church line, my name was called and my card was read off, he publicly asked me why I had put N/A, I told him I wasn't a believer. He asked me "Why?" and I just told him: "I was born an atheist and I was fortunate enough not to be indoctrinated into one of the many religions available. My parents taught me it was better to live a life dedicated to my people and myself rather than one of many thousands of gods and religions". In which is said that there is only one true god blah blah blah, I decided not to argue with him in front of all my friends and all the citizens that were there. And when I sat down I got so many glares, BUT. It made me wonder, why fellow atheists/non believers are not religious? And I was hoping you would all share why you are not a believer, and if you are a believer, why?

The short flippant answer is because there is no god. The longer answer is because I spent years looking for answers and was never satisfied with any that religion had to offer. I tried out almost all of them at one point or another Judaism Islam Buddhism(I actually liked that one for quite some time but ultimately it was all just mental tricks) All kinds of new age stuff. After this I kind of tried on a what if they are all right kind of thing in the vein of the tale of the elephant and the blind men. That didn't last long as it was just too contradictory so I moved onto agnosticism and finally a couple years ago now I was challenged by someone when I said I didn't really believe in any god and it got me looking around and I first found Richard Dawkins website. Then I headed to the local bookstore and bought Christopher Hitchens book "god is not Great". Fast forward a couple years and much research and here I stand in a good place with I think a good outlook on Life the universe and everything.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-04-2013, 08:59 PM
For a while I thought all religions were the same, only in our imperfection, and differences in language, and culture, we humans just got the message wrong from time to time. But whenever I voiced this opinion, I was faced, almost exclusively, with incredulous theists who vehemently defended the difference in their beliefs and "those" beliefs. Before I became an atheist, I spent quite a while as an agnostic theist disgusted with organized, institutionalized religion! Long story short: Then some friends introduced me to stand ups performed by Bill Hicks & George Carlin, and with that inspiration I began looking for more people like them, wanting to hear what they had to say. Slowly I found more & more people speaking reason, & coupled with a little bit of college education (sciences obviously, but non-christian, and secular literature too, among other knowledges), my "beliefs" began falling away rather rapidly. Now, thank reason, I accept nothing on heresay, which includes the existence of all invisible entities from eternal cloud city.

11-04-2013, 09:16 PM
I was an indoctrinated Methodist. When I was about 18 or 19 I started actually thinking about my assigned religion, the logic, and the lack of logic therein. There were actually many things that chipped away at my theism, including the distinct lack of reality found in the Bible. But perhaps the biggest wrecking ball was the utter lack of tangible evidence of a god.

I was not, and am not committed to the concept of atheism, but to be a theist, I need valid evidence. It does not have to be massive, overwhelming evidence, just convincing evidence. I am not holding my breath.
[+] 2 users Like Katiegal's post
11-04-2013, 09:49 PM
I was born to lapsed catholic parents who weren't very gung-ho about the whole indoctrination thing. My dad bought me a lot of science books when I was very young and told me I didn't have to go to church.

The whole time as a young kid, I really did think that the whole religion thing was exactly the same as the Santa claus thing, and I figured out about Santa earlier than some of my friends. I thought one day, the adults in my life would admit it was an elaborate charade just to justify hanging out on sunday morning, gossiping and eating donuts after church. That's the part I enjoyed, the donuts and orange juice. I stopped going to church at age 8, after my first communion. I still thought it was sort of quaint that adults believed in magic and life after death.

As a teenager I started to realize these other people really were serious (I was pretty sheltered from nuttier religious types as a young kid), and that made me very, very disgusted. I couldn't stand this kind of intellectual dishonesty, or the way it seemed to divide people and promote hate. I got very much into black metal, started contributing to an atheistic satanism printed zine, defaced some churches, and was interviewed on the local news because I was apparently the only non-christian in town (well, I was a bit outspoken about it, too). I began studying other religions, and found them fascinating, but not believable.

Since then, I stopped being so angry at people for being theists, I'm just quietly disgusted with most of humanity, especially when I see people shitting all over human rights and hating each other in the name of religion.

I guess I was always really an atheist, even when I didn't know it. I can appreciate that people enjoy the spectacle of churches and the drama of rituals, but I just can't get past the fact that people believe these things without evidence, even in spite of evidence. But anyway, I suppose I was always a nonbeliever, and that's because I never saw any good reason to believe.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
12-04-2013, 12:12 AM
I was fortunate enough to grow up without religion being constantly at the forefront of my daily life. My family, I guess, would call themselves Christian, but I can only remember going to church a couple times as a young child. We were what some might call "occasional Christians," as we only went on the "big" occasions/holidays or when my mom's religious friends invited us.

I remember "praying" a couple times growing up. I put that in quotes because I never knew if I was doing it "right." Drinking Beverage I also realized I only did it when I wanted something or when I didn't want something to happen... I found, as I got older, that I thought that was wrong. I shouldn't be so selfish and I started to imagine an old dude in the sky glaring down at me!Blink I started to dislike the idea of some invisible being and their billions of angels and deceased loved ones looking down at me at any given time of day. I felt violated.

Yes. The thought of dead people watching everything I did freaked me out. Then I started to think about how ridiculous that was. I used to get scared to go in dark basements, but one night I decided to just DO IT. I went into the dark basement and waited for a monster to jump out and grab me. Guess what? Nothing happened. I was probably about eleven at that time. I continued to practice a kind of "mind over matter" motto and it helped me to see that the things I was told or I had heard about that were lurking around in the dark weren't actually there; It was all in my head.

When I got to high school, I had a kind of awakening in a science class where I pondered whether my science teacher believed in evolution or not. THEN, I was in a psychology class, I'm fifteen at this point, a fellow classmate made a statement along the lines of "well, only one person doesn't believe in angels, so majority rules!" That was when I thought how preposterous it was that this religious person disregarded MY feelings all because she felt like she had "back up" in stating that the one who didn't believe was wrong. I felt all alone... But then I smiled and felt almost empowered. I was the minority and I didn't conform just to fit in.

I only started calling myself an atheist about a year ago. I just never labeled myself, because I'm all about not conforming Cool But then, a few months ago, I had this unbelievable urge to find others who shared similar feelings toward things as I did. I found this forum and I've been slowly coming out of my shell and being more open to friends, family, acquaintances and even strangers about my non-beliefs.

In summary, I'm a "non-believer" because I think for myself and question everything around me. It just so happens that the term "atheist" fits all of my views Big Grin

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 3 users Like Peanut's post