Why are you a non believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2013, 12:32 AM
RE: Why are you a non believer?
Dude, you totally brought that upon yourself, a show at a church? how could you not see that there was going to be a religious preaching involved? Tongue
Good job coming across as articulated though. Not easy when put on the spot with such a difficult question (well not difficult but not easy to answer in such a small amount of time I think) I imagine. Let the pricks glare, at least you can stand up and defend your (lack of) beliefs. And I think you were right to not argue, better to just slit his tiers at a later date.

Both my parents are religious, but when I say that I mean they were both raised by religious parents, both believe in god but both really couldn't give a shit or give it a second thought. I was never raised this religion or that, it was just never brought up.
Even at school, it was never brought up by the school. And the media has nothing religious in it. So it was never an issue growing up.
I never remember believing, even when I was very young. I was always a pretty smart kid and it just always seemed like a load of crap to me. I don't even think people took it literally, like I don't think people literally believed in god. It wasn't actually until like a month before coming to TTA that I started to learn to the extent of how indoctrinated the world is to thousand year old religious doctrine. I guess I felt the need to do something about it, sort of like a mission to save everyone from the horrors of religion (totally religious thing to do but w/e) so I started to focus on religion, learning about this or that so that I can give proper examples and proper arguments as to why I believe this particular part of the bible is a load of shit etc.. The more I learned about religion the more of an atheist I became.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
12-04-2013, 12:37 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 01:34 AM by Heathen.)
I can't honestly ever remember believing. Much like the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, I suppose I did believe at one time but I really can't recall that feeling. Coming to terms with it and admitting it publicly? Well, that took 40 years or so.

Good job at the Baptist Church Thumbsup

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
12-04-2013, 01:28 AM
A more realistic question is why are you a believer. There is no evidence. There is no presence. There is only faith.
[+] 2 users Like JAH's post
12-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Why do you lack belief in Zeus? I lack belief in Yahweh (the name for the Christian god most Christians are ignorant of) for many if not all of the same reasons.
12-04-2013, 09:59 AM
(12-04-2013 12:32 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Dude, you totally brought that upon yourself, a show at a church? how could you not see that there was going to be a religious preaching involved? Tongue
Good job coming across as articulated though. Not easy when put on the spot with such a difficult question (well not difficult but not easy to answer in such a small amount of time I think) I imagine. Let the pricks glare, at least you can stand up and defend your (lack of) beliefs. And I think you were right to not argue, better to just slit his tiers at a later date.

Both my parents are religious, but when I say that I mean they were both raised by religious parents, both believe in god but both really couldn't give a shit or give it a second thought. I was never raised this religion or that, it was just never brought up.
Even at school, it was never brought up by the school. And the media has nothing religious in it. So it was never an issue growing up.
I never remember believing, even when I was very young. I was always a pretty smart kid and it just always seemed like a load of crap to me. I don't even think people took it literally, like I don't think people literally believed in god. It wasn't actually until like a month before coming to TTA that I started to learn to the extent of how indoctrinated the world is to thousand year old religious doctrine. I guess I felt the need to do something about it, sort of like a mission to save everyone from the horrors of religion (totally religious thing to do but w/e) so I started to focus on religion, learning about this or that so that I can give proper examples and proper arguments as to why I believe this particular part of the bible is a load of shit etc.. The more I learned about religion the more of an atheist I became.

Hahaha, I knew there was going to be some kind of preaching since it was free of charge to get into. But had I known I was going to be asked about my non-belief, I would of probably prepared for a longer speech. Thumbsup

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
12-04-2013, 10:10 AM
I think my non-belief is a result of my brain being able to spot bullshit stories.
I've been able to do this since I was a small child.

Raised on a farm, we were exposed to reality in a number of ways.
My father raised & bred horses. My grandfather was a farmer. He grew crops, raised cows & pigs, so I knew from an early age the biology of life and where our food comes from and where babies come from. Nothing was sugar coated.

I also had books on dinosaurs and a childhood bible (that I still have). I read both with open eyes and when or if I wanted to.
Neither were read to me nor preached to me. If I heard the word god, it was followed by the words "damn it"

So for me, non-belief was simply as natural as walking through the pasture. You avoided bullshit when you saw it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
12-04-2013, 11:04 AM
In the simplest terms, I'm an atheist because I used to be christian.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Matthew Laramore's post
12-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Wow. What a jerk.

He publicly questioned your beliefs in front of your peers in an unwarranted fashion. And people wonder why so many have a disdain for mainstream Christianity.

What he did was simply unacceptable. It was wrong for him to try and make a spectacle of you.

If he was truly concerned about you, he would have talked to you in private. It seems he wanted an ego boost... to show the crowd (mostly Christians) that he's a super Christian fighting against unbelief.

...and, he also did this in a church... a place that's supposed to be a harbor for those that wish to not be judged.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
12-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I just never believed the Bible stories... Aesop's were better and I wasn't expected to believe them. The hypocrisy I saw between what was said and what was done also drew me from religion if not from belief in a higher power...that became absolute later.

In my late teens and early 20s I worked as a bartender at the country club in town. I watched bad behavior in many ways by the same people that would be in the front pew acting most pious at Sunday morning mass. Such wonderful examples to follow.

From quite a young age I needed to know why and how...blind faith or "cause I said so" didn't do it for me, on any topic.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
12-04-2013, 12:55 PM
'Cause I'm just a fashion-monkey!

So what was the prize?

And more to the point, why was their god moving in such mysterious ways to give you a prize?

If the parable of the prodigal son had any merit, you shoulda got all the prizes.

Thumbsup