Why are you a non believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2013, 04:02 PM
RE: Why are you a non believer?
I used to believe. Really did. Then the onion began to peel...little bits at a time.

I would love to believe...really I would. I just can't the evidence is just NOT there...especially where the whole god of the bible is concerned...

Is there something else? Dunno...

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Too much science books, not enough doctrine. No wonder I went off the rails Big Grin Took me a while though. 'Cos I'm thick.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
12-04-2013, 04:33 PM
(12-04-2013 04:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  Took me a while though. 'Cos I'm thick.
Took me even longer. Must be even thicker. Or stubborner. Or both...

Still, my heart was in the right place. Too bad my brain wasn't Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
12-04-2013, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2013 12:58 AM by Free Thought.)
(12-04-2013 04:33 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 04:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  Took me a while though. 'Cos I'm thick.
Took me even longer. Must be even thicker. Or stubborner. Or both...

Still, my heart was in the right place. Too bad my brain wasn't Dodgy

Your brain was not in the right place?

Was it malformed?
[Edit: Spelling]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
12-04-2013, 04:53 PM
(12-04-2013 04:46 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Your brain was not in the right place?

Was is malformed?

Actually, brain was all right. I was just thinking with others parts of my anatomy. If you can even call it thinking Undecided

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
12-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Many things...
I read the bible like you would a regular book.

I studied the history of the bible.

I learned a lot about science.

Prayer was a complete failure.

Christians were insane.

I heard counter arguments which forced me to think about god.

Then it was a combined effort in my head of all these things coming together that finally shattered my belief.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
12-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Guess I forgot about the failure of prayer part. I prayed as a kid with all the faith I could muster, because I was told God would listen. Well, if anyone was listening he/she was an asshole.

What loving god listens to the prayers of a child and decides that an innocent kid should be stuck with two abusive parents? After a time of thinking I must deserve it, I realized that prayer was completely ineffective. It gave only false hope. The fact that no prayer was ever answered taught me not to waste my time but to come up with my own inner strength.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
12-04-2013, 10:53 PM
I grew up in a overtly catholic country, however my own parents and most parts of the family weren't overtly religious themselves. Yet, in order to fit in society, we've all gone through the usual rituals like baptism and communion. However, even though the christian god as a character might not have been favored per se, my parents still had this notion that "everyone must believe in something", whatever that something might be.

For me as a child, I have been told all the funny stories about a couple, a tree, a talking snake and some tasty apples. Followed by some god dude in the sky, watching everything you do or think. I've tried to embrace those stories because back then I was loving fairy tales. They one of many building blocks for my own little fantasy world that I've been creating in my head. This world always has been a crucial part of my creativity as an artist. The religious tales weren't so much my cup of tea, I was a bit upset about the outgrowing number of male hero figures and the unjust power constellations. I then switched back to my own "creations" and stuck with them, even though it wasn't always easy to escape the all time present god tales around me.
In order to keep my fantasy world going, I was in search of inspirational material. I quickly figured that the real world that I see and experience was a perfect source. I became very interested in how nature works, and soon shifted over to things like Astronomy. Until this day, I still have my fantasy world going side by side with my rational way of thinking and I never saw it as a contradiction. I was convinced, that this is the definition of belief, which means to have a fantasy world in one's head (including a god, aliens, or any other mythical figure), functioning as some tool in order to accomplish something within the real world. When I played with my toys, I made them to be characters in my fantasy stories, yet I was fully aware that this is a game, and only I project the attributes to the toy and the toy is just what it is and nothing else. I was convinced that adults used religion (the fantasy world for adults) in exact the same way I did. Which is why I thought that bashing religion is bad.
Until recently, I shockingly had to realize that my definition was wrong. The word "belief/faith" was something completely different than what I've thought throughout all my life and it's still hard to grasp for me. It seems that "believing" is not having a fantasy world and to be aware of it, it is to be convinced that the fantasy is real. Well, in my book that would be called insanity and require treatment either through therapy or medication. But since the religion thing is so wide spread, most would not even think of it as some disorder. This thought is painful for me as an ethical being, because I would not want to see a large population of humans as mentally disordered. Dawkins' book "The god delusion" helped me to come to terms with it by describing the work of a mind virus, that has infected people who otherwise would be decent human beings. Just now I am discovering how religion is fucking up on many levels from a different perspective.

So to answer the question "why I don't believe" is impossible to answer, because I never believed according to its common definition. I could easily have said "I believe in fairies", but what I actually meant was "I imagine fairies".

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like pxlgirl's post
12-04-2013, 11:12 PM
I've always been a non believer. My father was raised in a strict Catholic family, went to Catholic school, was an altar boy and had plans on becoming a priest until he met my mother and decided he'd rather start a family with her. My mom was raised in a loosely religious Catholic family. After my brother and I were born my parents moved from NJ down to FL and my dad started his own business. He spent so much of his time in that business and providing for his family he didn't have time to take the family to church. I'm extremely grateful for that since I was never ushered into the horrible indoctrination as a child. Years and years later when I was 18 and just graduated high school, myself, a few friends I worked with and the guy I was dating at the time all went to have some drinks after work. Needless to say I go totally wasted and had my friend drive me and my car home. My dad found out the next morning and had a hissy fit. My punishment, which came from my father was to go to the local Catholic church, sign up for RCIA and Catechism classes and become Catholic.

Now can anyone please, please tell me how something my Dad believed in and lived his life for was now being used against me as a form of punishment?? I saw this as the epitome of hypocrisy and to this day that is still how I view all religions.
[+] 2 users Like **Justine**'s post
12-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Smartass

Here is a simple disproof of the argument for an interventionist god:

If there was such a thing, the results of no scientific experiment would be valid.

"Wow! That was an unexpected / predicted result. Congratulations."

"Thanks, warm up a seat for me in Stockholm."

"Hang on, how do you know that the gods didn't influence the result?"

"Fuck it!" Weeping