Why are you an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
25-07-2010, 02:47 PM

Why are you an atheist?
Just wondering if anyone would like to share their stories. Did you convert, and if so, from what? I don't know if there's already a thread like this, sorry if this is a repost.

I was raised by nonreligious parents. Not really agnostic, they just don't really care. So, being a child, I adopted the Greek gods until I was 9. Tongue Catholic school was, ironically enough, what made me an atheist. I didn't understand any of it, so I read the Bible up until where Lot and his daughters do it. That was just weird. After looking up lots of scientific vs. religion stuff, and watching TTA's videos, I converted. What's your story?
Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2010, 03:00 PM
RE: Why are you an atheist?
after reading the thread name i though a theist has came here to remind everybody aboot the wager of pascal:F
this kinda threads go by pretty quick, ive been a user just a couple of weeks and already several have gone by.

my answer: scientifical thinking, already in the age 8-10 i was wondering about stars, space, black holes, planets, electricity, magnetic fields and everything else like that.

Gasp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2010, 03:15 PM

For me, atheism just came by as a byproduct of adopting skepticism and looking critically on all aspects of life.
25-07-2010, 09:33 PM

I simply realized there wasn't a divine being because of a relative. If he hadn't of died, I might still be a theist... Possibly.
25-07-2010, 10:07 PM

Somewhat similar to TrekkieChick as a child I was fascinated with the stories of Greek and Norse Mythology. But I also read Science Fiction and other books like the Giant Golden Book series (Dinosaurs, Rockets, etc.) I realized that while I was reading mythology as "stories," many people used to believe these stories literally. From there it was a very short jump to realizing that theism today is just the remnants of magical thinking based on a primitive lack of scientific understanding and that someday children in the future will read about religion in our time and see the absurdity of these beliefs.
25-07-2010, 10:28 PM
[Image: ringostarrynot.jpg]

26-07-2010, 02:42 PM

I read the bible, and I went to church. That's how I became an Atheist. Smile
26-07-2010, 03:18 PM
I never believed in the first place.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
27-07-2010, 07:32 AM

I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic school for 12 years, the first year until senior year. I think my first feeling of doubt came in second or third class, where a nun told us that it was a tragedy that savages in Africa has gone to hell for not believing, so we had to send missionaries there. I could not how it was unfair.
27-07-2010, 12:00 PM

i had no religious upbringing of any kind. i can remember attending church a few time when i was very young. like 4 or 5. but no one ever sitting me down and explaining it. then when i was about 9 or 10, i asked my sister if she believed in god. when she told me yes, i asked her why. she told me just in case he was real. i always questioned it once that happen. when i was in high school, i realized i was an agnostic. actually, i think i just learned the word and figured that was what i was since i didn't believe in god but felt like there must be something. after a while, mostly because of the men i dated or the friends i had, i just realized it was all crap and i was content with not entertaining any of those thoughts.

my boss started talking about god to me one day. i told him i didn't believe in god and he told me of course i do. i laughed and told him i was card carrying atheist. he asked me what the card said and i laughed telling him it was an expression. when people ask me why i don't believe, i just ask them why they do. if they don't give a general type of answer, they just change the subject.