Why are you an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
25-07-2010, 02:47 PM

Why are you an atheist?
Just wondering if anyone would like to share their stories. Did you convert, and if so, from what? I don't know if there's already a thread like this, sorry if this is a repost.

I was raised by nonreligious parents. Not really agnostic, they just don't really care. So, being a child, I adopted the Greek gods until I was 9. Tongue Catholic school was, ironically enough, what made me an atheist. I didn't understand any of it, so I read the Bible up until where Lot and his daughters do it. That was just weird. After looking up lots of scientific vs. religion stuff, and watching TTA's videos, I converted. What's your story?
Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2010, 03:00 PM
RE: Why are you an atheist?
after reading the thread name i though a theist has came here to remind everybody aboot the wager of pascal:F
this kinda threads go by pretty quick, ive been a user just a couple of weeks and already several have gone by.

my answer: scientifical thinking, already in the age 8-10 i was wondering about stars, space, black holes, planets, electricity, magnetic fields and everything else like that.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2010, 03:15 PM

For me, atheism just came by as a byproduct of adopting skepticism and looking critically on all aspects of life.
25-07-2010, 09:33 PM

I simply realized there wasn't a divine being because of a relative. If he hadn't of died, I might still be a theist... Possibly.
25-07-2010, 10:07 PM

Somewhat similar to TrekkieChick as a child I was fascinated with the stories of Greek and Norse Mythology. But I also read Science Fiction and other books like the Giant Golden Book series (Dinosaurs, Rockets, etc.) I realized that while I was reading mythology as "stories," many people used to believe these stories literally. From there it was a very short jump to realizing that theism today is just the remnants of magical thinking based on a primitive lack of scientific understanding and that someday children in the future will read about religion in our time and see the absurdity of these beliefs.
25-07-2010, 10:28 PM
[Image: ringostarrynot.jpg]

26-07-2010, 02:42 PM

I read the bible, and I went to church. That's how I became an Atheist. Smile
26-07-2010, 03:18 PM
I never believed in the first place.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
27-07-2010, 07:32 AM

I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic school for 12 years, the first year until senior year. I think my first feeling of doubt came in second or third class, where a nun told us that it was a tragedy that savages in Africa has gone to hell for not believing, so we had to send missionaries there. I could not how it was unfair.
27-07-2010, 12:00 PM

i had no religious upbringing of any kind. i can remember attending church a few time when i was very young. like 4 or 5. but no one ever sitting me down and explaining it. then when i was about 9 or 10, i asked my sister if she believed in god. when she told me yes, i asked her why. she told me just in case he was real. i always questioned it once that happen. when i was in high school, i realized i was an agnostic. actually, i think i just learned the word and figured that was what i was since i didn't believe in god but felt like there must be something. after a while, mostly because of the men i dated or the friends i had, i just realized it was all crap and i was content with not entertaining any of those thoughts.

my boss started talking about god to me one day. i told him i didn't believe in god and he told me of course i do. i laughed and told him i was card carrying atheist. he asked me what the card said and i laughed telling him it was an expression. when people ask me why i don't believe, i just ask them why they do. if they don't give a general type of answer, they just change the subject.