Why are you an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
27-07-2010, 11:01 PM
RE: Why are you an atheist?
I opened the Tanakh and listened to the Rabbis preach.

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. - L. Ron Hubbard (Creater of Scientology)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2010, 06:32 PM

I am an atheist simply because there is no god. If there was one I would no longer be atheist.
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2010, 03:18 PM

I am fortunate in many respects. My father, who was the dominant personality at home, was not religious and religion just was not part of the family dynamic. Consequently, I was brought up with an open mind and as I went to ordinary schools, the most religious teaching I got was relatively standard.

Given this upbringing, the rational mind cannot possibly choose to believe in some egotistical, violent supreme being which is so obviously a creature created out of the sad and flawed human mind.
01-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I think I was always an atheist. The whole concept of "God" just never really made sense to me. For years I simply said I was an agnostic because I wanted to believe there was a God. However, I also want to believe I'm going to win the lottery, but believing it doesn't make it so. Eventually, reason just won over.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
01-08-2010, 11:49 PM

I am an Atheist because I finally came to the conclusion that the possibility of a God is not there. That I can't imagine some giant person that created everything and knows all. Hell was the only thing that kept me to my religion but I finally realized that Hell and Heaven are as fake as God.
02-08-2010, 03:22 PM

I have always been skeptical about religion, but I remember.... I spent one year, 8th grade, at a Baptist Christian school. One afternoon in History class, where they were of course talking about 'Creation', I had a question about the dinosaurs. My question was promptly ignored, and the teacher moved on. And that's when I started to question EVERYTHING and found legitimate answers to nothing. I am now 30, and proud, and extremely happy, to be an Atheist.
05-08-2010, 12:16 AM

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
05-08-2010, 10:21 AM

I was brought up going to Roman Catholic Grade school and having Parents who went to Church every weekend. I started to ask questions around 11-12, and wanted to be a Archeologist when I grew up. I simply asked a priest why Dinosaurs are not in the Bible, his answer didn't make sense at all, this is what started it. I started searching to see if Christianity was "right", which started me down the slope of question after question in the Western/Abrahamic Religions. At which time, being early Teenager, with social problems, and now I have this as well.. Not Fun! During High School, I became a Buddhist which displease my mother, from there to Agnostic/Deist.. To around 6 years ago coming out of the closet and declaring I was an Atheist. Thinking about it, I thought my ideas were weird and strange and thought I was the only one out there who thought like myself. The general public didn't help, as I was told I was stupid, Dumb or a Moron, cause I didn't think like they did.

It wasn't until College and starting to read the likes of Spinoza, Voltaire, Nietzsche who shared some of my doubts and ideas that I finally found I wasn't a weirdo afterall! From then on, learning as much as I can on this topic of as I call it now.. Cults.

The internet has helped a ton as well, as there is so much information out there at the palm of my fingers.. I just love it.
06-08-2010, 07:41 AM

Excuse me, but I think a few explanations are in order and then you tell me which category you fall into.
On the topic of God, the universe, yourself, and so on...you have to tell me what it is you believe (mind you, I am not asking what you DON'T believe).
1. Do you believe you are a separate being from the rest of what you perceive to be your environment?
2. Do you believe that when events go your way, you are happy? When things do not go your way, your are upset or mad?
3. Do you try to change your environment so you can be happier?
4. Are you different from other people?

Does this have anything to do with a belief in God? Yes...I just haven't said how. That comes later.
06-08-2010, 08:08 AM
1. No, I believe we are all part of a community and we have certain obligations to each other, from the subtle of not swearing in front of someone's child to the more acute example of not dumping pollutions into someone's drinking water. Many forms of life on this planet show a sense of community and common goal and I see no divine interference in it.
2. Do I believe that I'm happy when things go my way? Odd question. I think as a general statement that yes, I'm happy when things go my way and upset if they don't.
3. I'm not sure what you mean by "change your environment". I try to make the best of all situations and I take full responsibility for my own life and my own situation. If there is something I'm not happy about in life, I either try to change it or learn to deal with it.
4. We all have our differences and things that make us "us" but I think on a macro level we are all generally the same. We need the same basic physical things to live, we all crave a certain amount of human contact and compassion. Some of us have a greater clarity of vision then others, your Einstein's and your Thomas Jefferson's for example. But, generally speaking, I think we are all more the same then we are different.

So, what did I win?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost