Why are you an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
06-08-2010, 10:17 AM
RE: Why are you an atheist?
1. Nope.
2. When events go my way im happy. When things dont go my way, i try to figure out why something went wrong and depending on how seriously things go wrong i get upset, but rarely mad.
3. I dont know yet, my living enviroment has been so good for my whole short life, that i dont know how i could make it better to become happier.
4. Everyone is.

I would really like to know what those things have to do with a godHuh

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2010, 10:20 AM

I was raised by a single mother who was a Christian. I remember going to church as a child and watching passion plays and I found them unbearably boring. I would often pretend to go to the bathroom, but instead I would fool around in the restricted areas of the church. It was a very large non-denominational church which was once a Christian school that taught K-12 and had lots of rooms that I would hide in and explore. I would pretend to be Indiana Jones searching for the Ark of the Covenant or something like that.

In one of these instances I was caught by one of the people who worked there (I think) and he took me to a small office room. He told me I was going to be spanked, which in those days was common practice. Even at a public school a paddle was used to spank children who misbehaved and often required one to drop trou so we could really feel it. It wasn't surprising to me then when he asked me to remove my pants. He then proceeded to spank me with his bare hands and then he began rubbing. It wasn't long before I was forced to give him oral sex and worse. After it was all over he told me some bullshit about how what we did was a secret between him and me, and if I told someone that secret I'd be committing a deadly sin and that I would die and burn in hell.

Being a gullible seven year old, I was of course afraid of hell... oh and dying too. I still only remember this incident when I try to remember why it was in the first place that I started questioning my religion. I guess I suppressed that painful memory. It was at the age of seven that I learned that religion was just a bunch of lies used to manipulate and control people.

Later in life, I tried to accept Christianity again after my mom took me to see some Australian 'scientist' speak about how he could reconcile science and religion. I was after all a smart kid (according to my mother) and interested in science (specifically interested in biology), and my mom thought that this would help me find Jesus, since for some unknown reason since I was seven I seemed pretty apathetic about religion (she still doesn't know I was raped). This 'science' guy spouted complete bullshit. He told me the grand canyons were formed by the great floods, that scriptures that referred to dragons really referred to dinosaurs, and that Noah's ark had been found. As a kid this was all very persuasive (I wasn't as smart as my mom thought apparently). In school when we learned continental drift, evolution, and the big bang I was reciting the arguments that I had heard from that 'scientist' that supported the creationist view. I was outspoken about it for some reason... I still don't fully understand why.

It was around that time that I discovered the joys of masturbation as well. Well, I had always found pleasure in that area as a kid. I remember when I was really young sometimes using the water jets in the public pool, and later using running water from the bathtub faucet, and then using lotion... a friend (who was a Jehovah's Witness) told me it was a sin and that I was going to hell (or rather NOT heaven - I don't think they believe in hell) if I didn't stop. I didn't believe him though because he was a different religion and my mother told me not to believe anything he said.

At school a woman (who probably never had sex in her life anyway - so was probably a hypocrite who masturbated all the time) came to our school and in my BIOLOGY class in MIDDLE SCHOOL explained to all the boys and girls that masturbation was dangerous, and that if we did it too much it would give us a disease would make puss come out of our penises. That's right... she meant sperm. She was trying to freak out all the boys into believing their sperm was puss and they had some sort of incurable disease that could kill them. Mind you... that I already knew about sperm... and not just from my sexual abuse. We learned about it from a sex ed video in 5th grade. I had always assumed that when I masturbated that it was sperm coming out, but now this lady was trying to tell me it was puss. And yes, she was trying to make an argument that you could get some sort of infection from the bacteria on your hands, but she was saying 'white and mucus-like, sometimes clear.' Even if that is the case with some infections of the genitals, to say it without clearly differentiating it from sperm is irresponsible.

I was a little worried at this point. No one probably masturbated more than me in that room. And maybe I did have an infection and it wasn't just sperm coming out. I needed to clarify things for myself and any other worried tween in the classroom. So I asked her if she was referring to sperm. She acted surprised that I even knew what the word was. I explained to her that I knew a sperm and an egg were required to produce a zygote, and that when having sex the male ejaculates into the female to impregnate her (maybe not in so many words). She told me that sperm is ONLY produced while having sex not while masturbating. I then realized that what she was talking about made no sense whatsoever and proceeded to call her a liar. She then retorted by calling me a sinner who masturbated and needs to ask god for forgiveness(or something like that). It was quite embarrassing, but I remember distinctively no one laughing. Probably because they all felt the same way I did. I then asked the biology teacher who was sitting in his chair keeping his mouth shut to explain to me how it was possible biologically for sperm to only be ejaculated in coitus and not while masturbating.

It wasn't until the next day that my biology teacher backed me up and explained to the class that it was sperm and not puss indicative of a disease that came out during masturbation. He also told us to use condoms if we were to have sex, which we were instructed not to use by that same woman because any union in which a baby is prevented from being born in a sin according to her, and instead we should practice abstinence. Also condoms can't protect against ANY STDs so what good are they... that's all the lies she fed to us kids. I'm not sure of all the details about why this woman was allowed to talk to us, but I know my biology teacher wasn't very pleased by it either and actually told me that I was brave for confronting her. I still wish he had spoken up sooner.

It was then that I learned AGAIN what religion was really there for. It was just a way to manipulate and control people.

People always use the cliché that strangers use candy to entice children to enter a vehicle, but what keeps them in the vehicle. Trust... fear? You see religion is just like a a stranger offering you candy. It entices you with fantastical stories and promises. Then once inside it begs you to trust them when they take you down a path that's unfamiliar. Finally, when you're ready to jump out of the car or start crying, they scream fire and brimstone until you're too afraid to move. Well, we all know what happens to some victims who are held captive for too long. They just accept it.

The religious sheep in this world are just prisoners experiencing Stockholm syndrome. I pity them and the constant mental abuse and atrophy that they suffer.
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2010, 01:46 PM
I have always been a atheist. it seems like a better choice to believe in reality. than some
man made story that gives people false hope.
I can understand the comfort in being a religous person, that this life isn't all that there is to it.
but still why do you use a fucking seatbelt in ur car. and why do u cry when someone dies.
religon is for people who cant handle the simple truth that is right infront of their eyes.
and I atleast think I can, id rather se the world for how it is than be blinded by the shadow of religon
06-08-2010, 02:54 PM

(06-08-2010 01:46 PM)Gucar Wrote:  I have always been a atheist. it seems like a better choice to believe in reality. than some
I can understand the comfort in being a religous person, that this life isn't all that there is to it.
but still why do you use a fucking seatbelt in ur car. and why do u cry when someone dies.
religon is for people who cant handle the simple truth that is right infront of their eyes.
and I atleast think I can, id rather se the world for how it is than be blinded by the shadow of religon

According to my mom the reason you cry when someone you love dies is because you'll miss them. It's too bad suicide is conveniently a sin.

Even those who are suicidal have to resist the strong urge to call for help or create a situation where they know they will be instantly killed or won't be able to call for help. I can attest from experience.

I think we secretly all know what happens when we die. My grandfather who is the most religious person I know admitted to me how afraid he was of dying because he really didn't understand it. This is coming from a man who has had several heart attacks, was brain dead for short periods of time, and had a near-death experience. Unfortunately at that age I feel it's best if I just reinforce his beliefs to try to make what short time left he has peaceful. Is that wrong of me Undecided
06-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Quote:Is that wrong of me Undecided

I fail to see how giving comfort to a loved one can ever be wrong.

What would be wrong would be to throw his theological differences at him and tell him in his final days or hours to repent and take your position or risk some kind of horrible penance in the next life; to reject him because he has not embraced your superstitious beliefs as his own. That would be wrong, and, in my humble opinion, immoral. And yet, I've seen that very thing happen by God fearing religious folks.

Reinforce his beliefs or whatever else you need to do to alleviate his anxiety. There is no harm in it at all.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
10-08-2010, 03:04 AM

For me it happened when I was 15 when I over heard someone say, "Take a look around you, how could any of this come into being with out a God." Which got me thinking, "If Everything must be created, then who created God?" Thinking about that, and asking that question of other Christians then just getting a blank stare is what made me an Atheist.
10-08-2010, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2010 08:29 AM by Gucar.)
(06-08-2010 02:54 PM)nilum Wrote:  
(06-08-2010 01:46 PM)Gucar Wrote:  I have always been a atheist. it seems like a better choice to believe in reality. than some

According to my mom the reason you cry when someone you love dies is because you'll miss them. It's too bad suicide is conveniently a sin.

Even those who are suicidal have to resist the strong urge to call for help or create a situation where they know they will be instantly killed or won't be able to call for help. I can attest from experience.

I think we secretly all know what happens when we die. My grandfather who is the most religious person I know admitted to me how afraid he was of dying because he really didn't understand it. This is coming from a man who has had several heart
attacks, was brain dead for short periods of time, and had a near-death experience. Unfortunately at that age I feel it's best if I just reinforce his beliefs to try to make what short time left he has peaceful. Is that wrong of me Undecided

There is something to it but before we had phones, lets say your friend gets a promotion and is forced to move to another country and you know that you will never afford to go there its not like u start to cry then even tho you will miss him/her
(06-08-2010 02:54 PM)nilum Wrote:  

There is something to it but before we had phones, lets say your friend gets a promotion and is forced to move to another country and you know that you will never afford to go there its not like u start to cry then even tho you will miss him/her

I think we secretly all know what happens when we die. My grandfather who is the most religious person I know admitted to me how afraid he was of dying because he really didn't understand it. This is coming from a man who has had several heart attacks, was brain dead for short periods of time, and had a near-death experience. Unfortunately at that age I feel it's best if I just reinforce his beliefs to try to make what short time left he has peaceful. Is that wrong of me Undecided
10-08-2010, 07:29 PM

I've always had a fascination with science, but living in Kansas made it difficult to get a whole lot of REAL scientific information from school. Everyone including myself was a Christian at the time. I went to church every sunday, and went to church camp. I got candy for answering bible verse questions. Things like that. I was your average Christian. Then, when I was 12, My uncle, whom with I was very close, died at the age of 20. I didnt understand. I prayed for the safety of my friends and family every night. To have somebody I cared so much for, die of something as simple as a bad mixture of prescription drugs crushed my faith in God. I continued on, labeling myself as a Christian, but not really knowing my place.

One day while I was at the library, they had a VHS collection of Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage. They looked very fascinating so I checked them out, and watched ALL of them. Little did I know, this was going to change my life forever. The beauty and intricacy is what really got to me. Being only 12 or 13 at the time, I didn't understand all of it, but I took it all in as if it were air, and over time, reasearched it, and everything became more clear.

Years have passed, I am now 21 years old, and I am an Atheist.
14-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm 59 and grew up in the southern U.S. My parents weren't big church goers, but believed in God. As I was never indoctriated in the church it was easy for me to sort of take life and people as I saw it. When I realised all the pain and suffering that was the result of ALL religious teachings and beliefs and also how every faction of every religion thought they were the Heaven bound and all others were doomed to Hell, it wasn't hard for me to put 2 and 2 together and arrive at my current lack of beliefs. When I read stories of sexual abuse tied to the church it makes me feel like all organised religion should be banned, but then we would all have to carry guns....
15-08-2010, 02:03 PM

while i was technically once a christian, I guess that was brcause I was never aware that there was another option, I lost all belief (if it was even close to that, I saw god just like any fairytale) the moment I stopped believing in santa