Why are you an atheist?
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
17-08-2010, 10:24 AM
RE: Why are you an atheist?
I was raised as a Methodist. Went to church every Sunday, sang in the choir, lit the candles on the altar, was a member of the Methodist Youth Fellowship (MYF), went to Sunday School every week where in the later years we studied the Bible verse by verse. So, as emmersed as I was, you wouldn't think I'd ever make it to where I am today.

In high school, and then in college, I began to think for myself. There wasn't any one person or group of persons trying to change the way I thought about theism. I am a musician and have, since my "awakening", played piano/organ for several churches as a means of employment. And as a musician, I have even recently sang in church with my family. In doing so, I've never struggled to continue believing in fact, not fiction, but there have been some uncomfortable moments.

I have 2 brothers who still believe in theism. My parents probably do too.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, I think you must believe what you believe. But don't try and force someone else to believe the same. I can't change my brother's beliefs and wouldn't want them to try and "save" me.

So, as I really appreciate this site as a place to _finally_ vent and read other's thoughts, I guess I have a problem with bashing religions. I think it's probably only going to fuel their spiritual fire, as it were. I _can_ ,however, see how having this site can allow people to see other options and, if they choose to, think for themselves.

But, anyway, thanks to a friend of mine I have been reading this site regularly and, again, appreciate the opportunity to come and vent if I choose to do so. I've been alone for a long time in my beliefs. Thanks.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Well, I was brought up with my dad as an Atheist and an Agnostic mother so I was never surrounded by religion and when I was in Private School, I didn't really understand the religion the school tried to drill into the students.
I think I converted briefly to Christianity after I watched an episode of Doctor Who that scared me so much, I thought a Bible would help scare the things away, but I was tiny then so...
I also wanted to be a scientist and since I loved getting into debates with my friends and my Religious Education teacher, I really thought a lot which kind of made me realise that, the same way Magic or Santa is impossible, there's no actual way that there could be such a thing as God.

Upbringing and logical thinking, really!
Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2010, 12:53 AM
I was a fundamentalist southern baptist until December 30, 2009. I had been doubting and observing and researching for a little more than half a year before that and found that all the apologetics I had readily consumed before were wrong or misguided.

But at that point I still wasn't "foolish" enough to think there wasn't a God.

Believe it or not, I actually started worshipping the Muse, no joke. =P I remembered that I always felt spiritual enlightenment when I played music for my Church band and then I still felt it after I stopped being a Christian so I "reasoned" that there must have been a Muse that that gave that feeling to me. =P

Time went by and my beliefs evolved. I dropped the Muse and began studying to join the Order of the Golden Dawn.

Finally, one day I was thinking. Actually thinking. I thought about how all the "magic" I supposedly cast before (I honestly and earnestly believe I had cast) could have been explained away by coincidence. Strange coincidence, but still coincidence. Not to mention all the times it _didn't_ work.

Long story short, I began to research atheism and here I am, a couple months later. My family was always a big proponent of the "atheists are just mad at God" thought line, so I carry a kind of smug pride that emotion didn't influence my decision, and that no matter how many times that's accused of me I can answer honestly that it's not the case. =P

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I grew up, that's a good enough reason for me.

I put away childish things and I stopped believing in fairy tales a long time ago. Why people who stopped believing in Santa Claus when they were kids still believe in God is confusing.

I have "faith" in us, humanity, that we can put aside our differences, understand each other's cultures, embrace the answers that have been given and proven by scientific fact, and stand up to those willing to oppress us simply because we're "different" or we don't believe what they believe in.

If we can somehow move in that direction, then we will improve as an intelligent species. That is what I believe.
Quote this message in a reply