"Why are you being cynical?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2010, 09:51 PM
"Why are you being cynical?"
My grandma asked me to say grace when I visited yesterday, maybe forgetting that I'm an atheist, maybe trying to mess with me, not sure. I accepted, did the arm fold arm, eye closed thing and said
"I thank nature for the water and sun, the farmer for the hard work growing the food and the shop keeper for making it available to the wider public. I also thank nana for standing over the stove all day preparing this food to rid it of harmful bacteria. I thank the stove makers and the gas company workers also for making this possible..."
My grandma then cut me off and said "Why are you being cynical?"

I actually couldn't hold in the laughing, but she's an old girl now, so I didn't take it any further than that Tongue Still, my 2 sisters and one of my brothers were there and were absolutely fuming xD
They are Mormon though as my grandma is like a pantheistic christian thing. She attends Mormon, Catholic and Methodist churches depending what mood she's in... x3

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2010, 10:03 PM

RE: "Why are you being cynical?"
That's funny. (And you're really brave!)

I don't find it cynical in the least.
Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2010, 10:27 PM
You told the truth, thet couldn't handle it, too bad.
You've got the guts to go against the grain, "good on you." (An expression I picked up in Australia)
23-09-2010, 10:36 PM
(23-09-2010 10:03 PM)athnostic Wrote:  I don't find it cynical in the least.

It's just brilliant that someone would call someone else "cynical" for thanking humans rather than an invisible sky daddy xD

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
24-09-2010, 03:16 AM

(23-09-2010 10:36 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  
(23-09-2010 10:03 PM)athnostic Wrote:  I don't find it cynical in the least.

It's just brilliant that someone would call someone else "cynical" for thanking humans rather than an invisible sky daddy xD

That is right along the line of calling atheists arrogant because we don't believe this billion galaxy universe was created just for us..
24-09-2010, 04:38 AM
Nothing wrong with what you did there. Smile

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
24-09-2010, 06:14 AM

I'm just guessing about the 'cynical' comment - perhaps she confuses cynicism with sarcasm. Although every word of your "prayer" of thanks is appropriate, I think she may have detected some sarcasm there.

I would have found it very difficult not to be sarcastic in that situation, but perhaps I might have made an exception for my grandmother.
24-09-2010, 06:46 AM
I think an old woman asked you to say grace, you accepted (you could have just as easily said "No. I'm an Atheist. I don't feel comfortable doing that."), then you made a mockery of the tradition (you could have just as easily said, "If it's all right, I'm going to do this differently. I'm going to give thanks to the natural world.") and then laughed in her face when she got upset. I think that's kind of crappy and I understand why your family was upset.

I think that everyone is entitled to their beliefs and you had every right to have your beliefs (or lack thereof) respected by your family and that perhaps athnostic is right to call you brave for being who you are in what I can only imagine might be a hostile environment, but that that behaviour was kinda reprehensible.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
24-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Well since every day I'm told I'm going to hell and my youngest brothers and sisters are forbidden to talk to me because I drink tea and coffee I would say that they were provoking me Tongue

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
24-09-2010, 07:04 AM

I agree with Ghost. But I can also imagine the possibility that your grandma and family have acted reprehensibly to you as well.

One thing I have noticed in my brief sojourn here, is that most atheists take issue with the claim that they cannot have a moral compass, cannot do good, etc. because of their lack of belief in God. They are quick to retort, often saying: "I'm a good person, darnit!" But then I look at the tone of this website, and many of the posts on here, with people unceremoniously mocking the beliefs of theists and Christians, insulting their intelligence for believing in "fairy tales". That kind of behavior is not "good" in my book, moral compass or not.

Now before you all start flaming me, I also know that that kind of mockery and antagonism is coming right back at you. I want to make clear that that is not acceptable Christian behavior. I would just defer to Jesus' teachings of loving your enemy and praying for those who persecute you (for the record I do not consider you guys my enemy), and turning the other cheek. I think a big reason this kind of antagonism is rampant is because so-called Christians are not living out their faith. Of course you will be turned off by a "religion" (I hate that word) full of apparent hypocrites.

Sorry if this is considered a thread hijack. I guess my main point is: Cetaceaphile, if you love your family, be the bigger person and always respond with love. You may be surprised what you get in return! That's a biblical concept that can apply to all people!

EDIT: I was writing this response before I saw Cetaceaphile's reply. I guess I was right that your family has been giving you the business! One thing about what you said struck me, and has struck me in other threads as well. As an atheist, why are you affected/offended when someone tells you you are going to hell?