Why are you here, kingschosen and Aliza, etc.?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2016, 01:35 PM
RE: Why are you here, kingschosen and Aliza, etc.?
(17-09-2016 01:27 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I guess I'm looking for the initial motivation and then the reasons for staying.

I really can't speak for anyone but curiosity is always a positive incentive.

I do know that many of us have become fairly tight over the past four or five years - Kingsy included. Aliza is a fairly recent addition to this forum but we all seem to be very like minded - back to the curiosity incentive. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
17-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Perhaps they come here to satisfy their own curiosity-- are we as bad as they're told we are, by their faith-communities?

If they are decent people, and don't abuse us into retaliating verbally, they find that we're mostly pretty pleasant, funny, smart people who are worth talking to, and that (unlike many religious forums) we don't actually care what beliefs a person holds so long as they are thoughtful about their reasons and show a basic level of decency and intellectual honesty.

Both Aliza and Kings have that in spades. And I'm rather fond of both of them... I'd like to think the reciprocal is true.

From basic curiosity to friendship. Humanity at its finest. Smile

[Image: 2zgyant.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 16 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-09-2016, 02:44 PM
Aliza has done well to discredit Christian translations of the Old Testament which I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...e+twisting

Kingschosen........loves goofy looking dogs. Don't we all?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
17-09-2016, 02:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that we only let KC hang around because he occasionally posts pics of QC...

Drooling

Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 6 users Like evenheathen's post
17-09-2016, 02:54 PM
(17-09-2016 01:23 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Of course KC showed up to prove that he could become the admin of an atheist forum. Checkmate atheists. Evil_monster

**Why he came here I don't know for sure but once here he found people he liked and he stayed around.

It was predestined.

#sigh
[+] 9 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-09-2016, 03:05 PM
I came to this forum because I wanted to understand what atheists might think of a theist such as myself. I’m majoring in a science and based on the interactions I’ve had with professors and students, I figured that I’d probably be encountering atheists from Christian backgrounds for the rest of my career. Basically, I came to see for myself what atheists are like when they’re on their own turf, and to feel out what kind of reception I might expect if the people I’m learning with discovered that I’m a practicing Jew. I was also very curious to see what atheists know about Judaism, and if my position on religion has been considered when presenting anti-religious arguments.

I did not come to make friends and I didn’t mean to stay longer than a few weeks, but I really like you guys so that’s why I stayed. I was raised agnostic/secular, so I appreciate a non-religious mind-set. I also find that some of our goals overlap. You all may like to end all religion no matter what, but we both agree that fundamentalism must be stopped and I enjoy throwing in my two cents in debates against proselytizing Christians. We also agree on many social issues and we both appreciate science and we understand that the universe evolved over a period of billions of years.

Okay, so you guys eat bacon and shrimp. I can get past that especially since you all seem just fine that I don't. Smile
[+] 23 users Like Aliza's post
17-09-2016, 03:07 PM
AtotheTheist had a interview with KC. If I recall right he said he came on to give his point of veiw and would defended it but over the years he just like the community, and dosn't really care for debating his stance anymore. I maybe miss quoting that..it's on soundcloud.

Aliza more often then not seems more on our side then anything.

Other way i'm glad their here. If we only had more people that thought like them then maybe we wouldn't have to be so considered who know our position.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
17-09-2016, 03:09 PM
[Image: GI0416_Bacon-Wrapped-Shrimp.jpg]

Drooling

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 6 users Like Commonsensei's post
17-09-2016, 03:11 PM
(17-09-2016 03:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I came to this forum because I wanted to understand what atheists might think of a theist such as myself. I’m majoring in a science and based on the interactions I’ve had with professors and students, I figured that I’d probably be encountering atheists from Christian backgrounds for the rest of my career. Basically, I came to see for myself what atheists are like when they’re on their own turf, and to feel out what kind of reception I might expect if the people I’m learning with discovered that I’m a practicing Jew. I was also very curious to see what atheists know about Judaism, and if my position on religion has been considered when presenting anti-religious arguments.

I did not come to make friends and I didn’t mean to stay longer than a few weeks, but I really like you guys so that’s why I stayed. I was raised agnostic/secular, so I appreciate a non-religious mind-set. I also find that some of our goals overlap. You all may like to end all religion no matter what, but we both agree that fundamentalism must be stopped and I enjoy throwing in my two cents in debates against proselytizing Christians. We also agree on many social issues and we both appreciate science and we understand that the universe evolved over a period of billions of years.

Okay, so you guys eat bacon and shrimp. I can get past that especially since you all seem just fine that I don't. Smile

Bacon and Shrimp.
Drooling

I am not one of the anti-theists. I don't really care what a person's beliefs are as long as they aren't pushed on me or anyone else. I grew up raised in the Catholic church and didn't really have any idea about other faiths. I like learning about the other beliefs though they often leave me scratching my head. Whodathunkit that I would learn so much about religion on an atheist forum?

Glad you decided to stay beyond your original timeline. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
17-09-2016, 03:13 PM
(17-09-2016 01:19 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think we all can guess why Aliza came here.

She was after an intelligent man.

But ended up with a silly pussy!

Drinking Beverage

Well, someone was going to say it. Blush

I tried, DLJ. I tried. Tongue

Seriously, though, I didn't come here to meet men. It's not my fault if so many exceptional specimens came out and met me at the door, though.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post