Why are you here, kingschosen and Aliza, etc.?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2016, 03:14 PM
RE: Why are you here, kingschosen and Aliza, etc.?
(17-09-2016 03:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Okay, so you guys eat bacon and shrimp. I can get past that especially since you all seem just fine that I don't. Smile

See there ... SEE ... SURE ... go on ... dump on the vegetarian Unsure

I'moppressedandyouareallbigcarnivorbullies! Sadcryface2

I'm vegetarian NOT vegan ... they're just fucking weird

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
17-09-2016, 03:15 PM
(17-09-2016 03:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I came to this forum because I wanted to understand what atheists might think of a theist such as myself. I’m majoring in a science and based on the interactions I’ve had with professors and students, I figured that I’d probably be encountering atheists from Christian backgrounds for the rest of my career. Basically, I came to see for myself what atheists are like when they’re on their own turf, and to feel out what kind of reception I might expect if the people I’m learning with discovered that I’m a practicing Jew. I was also very curious to see what atheists know about Judaism, and if my position on religion has been considered when presenting anti-religious arguments.

I did not come to make friends and I didn’t mean to stay longer than a few weeks, but I really like you guys so that’s why I stayed. I was raised agnostic/secular, so I appreciate a non-religious mind-set. I also find that some of our goals overlap. You all may like to end all religion no matter what, but we both agree that fundamentalism must be stopped and I enjoy throwing in my two cents in debates against proselytizing Christians. We also agree on many social issues and we both appreciate science and we understand that the universe evolved over a period of billions of years.

Okay, so you guys eat bacon and shrimp. I can get past that especially since you all seem just fine that I don't. Smile

Thank you, Aliza. I was getting so many atheists answering for you and KC I was starting to wonder if any theist would reply. Smile

Your answer makes a lot of sense and I appreciate it, and you.

It's a curious and very cool thing that we won you over. It's unfortunate we can't have all theists either see this interaction or have some sort of edict in their religion that asks them to get to know us so they could see what you did, that we are normal and only like to eat babies on our high holidays.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
17-09-2016, 03:18 PM
(17-09-2016 03:09 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  [Image: GI0416_Bacon-Wrapped-Shrimp.jpg]

Drooling

Yeah, that looks about as tasty to me as this looks:

[Image: OF018952-thai-spiders.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
17-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Is some of it that atheists perhaps tend to react to, treat, respect another for who they are rather than what they are?

If another shares the same basic values as yourself, regardless as to the supposed origin if those values, why should there be any conflict? However, there are overt anti-theistic elements in this forum, as is to be expected. But it seems to me that some if these - such as child-rape by clergymen, the inciting to homophobic thought, even violence in some cases, and other aspects should be as obnoxious to a moral and ethical theist as a similar valued atheist.

Thus, there is a kind of conflict-free-zone between the two world views.

IMHO

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
17-09-2016, 03:39 PM
(17-09-2016 03:14 PM)kim Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 03:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Okay, so you guys eat bacon and shrimp. I can get past that especially since you all seem just fine that I don't. Smile

See there ... SEE ... SURE ... go on ... dump on the vegetarian Unsure

You can make your own shrimp with bacon. Sounds yummy.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-09-2016, 04:05 PM
(17-09-2016 03:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 03:09 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  [Image: GI0416_Bacon-Wrapped-Shrimp.jpg]

Drooling

I'd try it.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
17-09-2016, 04:06 PM
Why do vegetarians eat pseudo-meat? It's like using euphemisms instead of swear words.

Just seems weird to me somehow.

I use veggie pseudo-meat products for health reasons (meats contain purine which causes gout) choosing those that have as close an appearance, texture and taste of meat as possible. Hoping to fool my mind into thinking it is meat!

Why would a veggie want to do the same?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
17-09-2016, 04:07 PM

Drooling

What's not to like? One can even pick one's teeth with the fangs after dinner.
17-09-2016, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2016 11:42 PM by kim.)
(17-09-2016 03:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 03:14 PM)kim Wrote:  See there ... SEE ... SURE ... go on ... dump on the vegetarian Unsure

You can make your own shrimp with bacon. Sounds yummy.

Bleh. I actually don't care for the taste of beef/bird/pig flesh all that much. Confused And fake food has nothing to do with taste.
Though I'm primarily vegetarian, I might have a tiny taste of a friend's lamb once a year. Also, I might do a piece of raw tuna or a bit of roe with my sushi, every once in a while. I most certainly do cheese & yogurt - goat is my preferred lactating animal.
Drooling

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-09-2016, 04:10 PM

Drooling

Back in the 1980's I spent a year living in the Pico Blvd, Robertson Blvd area of Los Angeles which is a very Jewish area, or was at the time. I saw Hasidic rabbis with their interesting hats and there were fantastic Jewish deli's and several synagogues in the area. But I couldn't find any shrimp to save my life and bacon was simply nonexistent. Stupid me, I went into a corner market looking for some bacon and the Jewish store owner looked at me like I was an alien from Mars. I realized just how gentile I was.

I lived right across the street from the famous Jewish bakery, Beverlywood Bakery. OMG, the smells that came out of that building first thing in the morning. Holy cow! It cut right through the Los Angeles smog and wafted right into my open window. Ahhhhhhh.

http://www.beverlywoodbakery.net/

[Image: kosherfmbeverlywood1.jpg]

[Image: 12052143_Nrg3Uq8ZNnQWlajbJjmLHEUTVANo-4J...qiwmDM.jpg]

That place made up for the lack of bacon and shrimp. One time I bought some sort of chocolate bread loaf and got sick because I ate the whole damned thing. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post