Why are you here, kingschosen and Aliza, etc.?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2016, 07:53 PM
RE: Why are you here, kingschosen and Aliza, etc.?
(17-09-2016 07:51 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 06:56 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I can PM you a link to a Catholic board where we let the resident atheist bash us and we've never banned him yet. Tongue

Post that bitch out in the open. Thumbsup

I do note that it is 'THE resident atheist', singular. They have a token atheist.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
17-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Went to Christianforums.com...two heavily anti-Catholic posts in the first ten, and one about how the Democrats are totally planning what to do when Hillary withdraws due to her health. Also some of the "Christian Only" subforums include "Christian preppers" and "Christian Persecution". Though it looks like they have like 3 Catholic subforums in their plethora of stuff...none of which is part of "Christians Only". And they want to know people's faith, marital status, and politics...it's like Willhopp found a place that emphasizes the worst parts of the joining of church and state. (And almost every thread I checked every political affiliation was US-Republican and faith was Christian.)

(17-09-2016 07:51 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 06:56 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I can PM you a link to a Catholic board where we let the resident atheist bash us and we've never banned him yet. Tongue

Post that bitch out in the open. Thumbsup

Would rather not, my writing style there is distinct in its closeness to that here, and I've posted things here that someone there who knows me well enough would be able to identify and cause drama.

(17-09-2016 07:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 07:51 PM)pablo Wrote:  Post that bitch out in the open. Thumbsup

I do note that it is 'THE resident atheist', singular. They have a token atheist.

He really is. And well spoken also.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
17-09-2016, 08:05 PM
(17-09-2016 03:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 03:09 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  [Image: GI0416_Bacon-Wrapped-Shrimp.jpg]

Drooling

Yeah, that looks about as tasty to me as this looks:

[Image: OF018952-thai-spiders.jpg]

[Image: alternate_universe.png]

Shrimp is the only shelfish I miss being able to eat on account of not wanting to have my throat swell shut. The rest are bottom-dwelling scavengers and scum-sucking filter-feeders.

Bacon though. I don't think that I could live without bacon. Drooling

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
17-09-2016, 09:21 PM
(17-09-2016 03:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I came to this forum because I wanted to understand what atheists might think of a theist such as myself. I’m majoring in a science and based on the interactions I’ve had with professors and students, I figured that I’d probably be encountering atheists from Christian backgrounds for the rest of my career. Basically, I came to see for myself what atheists are like when they’re on their own turf, and to feel out what kind of reception I might expect if the people I’m learning with discovered that I’m a practicing Jew.

Unless you run into a fervent antitheist the worst you're likely to encounter is the occasional off-colour joke because somebody was socially clueless or didn't understand the meaning. The most likely reactions will be a mix of indifference and mild curiosity at the cultural quirks. Most atheists are too lazy to give a rat's ass. It isn't as if you've had the bad manners to string up our imaginary friends' whelp or anything.

I was in the states for 3 years in the DC area and worked with at least 2 Catholics, 3 Protestants (likely Baptist), an agnostic and a bunch of others that I neither knew nor cared about their religious belliefs. Religion very rarely came up and was never a problem. As RocketSurgeon's pic says, "It's what happens when you're not an asshole."

One of the more amusing aspects that I found was the reaction to fundamentalists and creationists. Atheists find them annoying and will cheerully slap them silly with their own arguments. Scientists who are believers find them deeply embarassing because they might wrongly be associated with them. They were much faster to stomp on them than I ever was and rarely left more than a pair of smoking boots.

Quote:I was also very curious to see what atheists know about Judaism, and if my position on religion has been considered when presenting anti-religious arguments.

Sweet bugger all and no, in that order. You don't do enough Saturday morning door knocking. For the most part, religion that doesn't work to get up my nose doesn't worry me. You might run into the occasional atheist that is familiar with Judaism but they'll be the exception to the rule.

Quote:You all may like to end all religion no matter what

That's a smidge extreme. Blink I honestly hope we don't come across that way.

I agree that we have more in common with one another than with the fundamentalists. Or rather the shrieky, in your face fundamentalists. There is a difference oddly enough. Again, it's what happens when you aren't an asshole. I also have more in common with my old church than I do with rabid fundamentalists.

I suspect that's a large part of why you, KC and Shai Hulud stuck around. We don't see eye to eye on everything but neither do we see eye to knuckles on everything.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 8 users Like Paleophyte's post
17-09-2016, 09:51 PM
(17-09-2016 01:08 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 12:57 PM)cactus Wrote:  They might...
Um, you're the only one I know who would call a VW Beetle a hot rod.

It's actually a Morris Minor c1960. And it's common to drop a small-block V8 into them. So yeah... hot rod. Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
17-09-2016, 10:21 PM
(17-09-2016 09:51 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 01:08 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Um, you're the only one I know who would call a VW Beetle a hot rod.

It's actually a Morris Minor c1960. And it's common to drop a small-block V8 into them. So yeah... hot rod. Big Grin

A V8 in that?!? With that much torque I'd expect it to do a backflip when you turned the ignition over.

---
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
17-09-2016, 10:34 PM
(17-09-2016 01:19 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think we all can guess why Aliza came here.

She was after an intelligent man.

But ended up with a silly pussy!

Drinking Beverage

Well, someone was going to say it. Blush

You know what they say, you are what you eat.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
17-09-2016, 10:44 PM
(17-09-2016 10:21 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(17-09-2016 09:51 PM)SYZ Wrote:  It's actually a Morris Minor c1960. And it's common to drop a small-block V8 into them. So yeah... hot rod. Big Grin

A V8 in that?!? With that much torque I'd expect it to do a backflip when you turned the ignition over.

Ha! The older cars have the heavier the steel - they were built hot.
I got my uncle to drop a porche engine into a 69 volkswagen, station wagon. One of the fastest cars I ever had - chewed the Kansas highways to bits without a thought. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
17-09-2016, 11:06 PM
I've been asked this several times over the years.

When I first joined, germanyt and I worked together. We had conversations about theism and atheism all the time and found it quite interesting. We soon found out we had more in common than not.

Our work was pretty boring and slow, so Tim found a forum that was not blocked by the work filter (TTA).

We both joined to pass the time at work. I never had any intention of proselytizing but was open to discussing atheism and theism openly and respectfully.

Unlike most theists, I didn't just stay in the A and T section. I branched out everywhere and soon found liked the community.

Over the years, my interests in discussing atheism and theism has waned to be almost nonexistent. I barely even see this as an "atheist" site.

It's simply a community I love called TTA.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 20 users Like kingschosen's post
17-09-2016, 11:16 PM
(17-09-2016 11:06 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've been asked this several times over the years.

When I first joined, germanyt and I worked together. We had conversations about theism and atheism all the time and found it quite interesting. We soon found out we had more in common than not.

Our work was pretty boring and slow, so Tim found a forum that was not blocked by the work filter (TTA).

We both joined to pass the time at work. I never had any intention of proselytizing but was open to discussing atheism and theism openly and respectfully.

Unlike most theists, I didn't just stay in the A and T section. I branched out everywhere and soon found liked the community.

Over the years, my interests in discussing atheism and theism has waned to be almost nonexistent. I barely even see this as an "atheist" site.

It's simply a community I love called TTA.

Very cool, I never knew that, and didn't think wading through five years of posts looking for that answer was doable. Thanks, KC.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post