Why are you here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2012, 05:06 PM
RE: Why are you here?
(01-09-2012 05:03 PM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  And btw, i am also here to torture you all with my terrible english skills.

Yes, it's best to go with your strengths. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2012, 09:59 PM
I arrived at atheism by two simple steps:
1 - Religion could no longer defend itself as science open the doors to the before unknowable.
2 - Atheism was the only logical conclusion.

Atheism is like taking the paint off an old piece of furniture. You thought that the paint looked good until you saw the beautiful natural wood that it was covering up. Then you wondered why you waited so long to seek the real beauty within.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
01-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Some fucker forgot to turn the lights out before he left.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-09-2012, 12:18 AM
(31-08-2012 12:49 PM)Noelani Wrote:  For those of you who were religious, what were some of the questions, realizations, etc... about your beliefs/religion that eventually lead to your non-belief?

I was forced to be baptized when I was 6, back then I wasn't keen enough to really question anything obviously. I can not recall precisely what propelled my curiosity, my half-sister who is part Cherokee is also an atheist, but nowhere near as active as I am about it, but I can definitely proclaim that my actual sister's second baptism started throwing me off. She then began pushing forth the lifestyle of god-fearing scarring upon my penetrable brain. She would have continuous private bible studying with me, but I learned nothing more than I did from any other minister who like her liked to remove any surrounding verses of whatever she handpicked and replace them with ones from other chapters. All I learned then was how easily she could manipulate God’s own writings and how humiliated I felt that I allowed my life to be tarnished by a book that seemed to have every paragraph numbered for the sole-purpose of arranging each story how one wanted it to sound. I started imagining Shakespeare’s work arranged the same way, and as I read the bible consistently without skipping a single verse, I realized if religion had their way in a Shakespearean play, Juliet would have been the one stabbed 20 times instead of Caesar because of her defiance to her family of idiots.

Religion is man-made; the outnumbering casts of them of proves them to be, and mankind’s own utility, dreary from such dull communion; an old ritual of cannibal activity of their very deity on a monthly basis, that through communion henceforth had only severed my disgust for the Baptist Christianity I had been born into without option; a ritual of pure human retardation. I did not grow to become more appreciative of what sacrifices Jesus pretended to design for the world through this awful ritual, I only aroused an interest in the act of cannibalism as a whole, and by my 18th birthday I had learned enough about the major religions and cannibalism to see not a shred of difference, but just a crack in the mirror. I grew to hate even more that the church was disguising innocent food items many around the world beyond our coordinates were not fortunate enough to nourish their dissolving bodies with, as human blood and flesh, and I couldn’t help but wonder if any stooped to cannibalism in every literal sense to overcome the obstacle of an enforced unnatural death of starvation. If no one else took this to account beside me, was I really the worst person in the entire congregation of pretentious ass-kissers? I refused any emotion both local and distant to convince me I was!

Here lays the "God excuse" to lay acceptance to an act of cannibalism, the victim being the human saboteur of their respective deity. Not only was Jesus not actually consumed upon his death, but had he been, how would such a resurrection have taken occurrence, and to a point of not destroying the appetites of those involved; Jesus would have been shat out and pissed; a story such as this would have made better due at an Easter Sunday service, one I am certain others outside of myself would find plenty of humor in.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Matthew Laramore's post
02-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I was doing fine, enjoying the social side of Sunday School - until they tried to make me go for all that Jonah/whale crap. I just couldn't swallow that one.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
02-09-2012, 06:42 PM
basically god became incompatible with my beliefs... I mean I found myself thinking about something that hated my lifestyle and was completely immoral and would throw new in a lake a fire if I didn't except him but he loved me. that and i followed the some youtube atheist. but mainly it was the things that I never new the bible said that no one told me. lol. that was the final nail...

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
03-09-2012, 03:32 AM
(31-08-2012 12:49 PM)Noelani Wrote:  For those of you who were religious, what were some of the questions, realizations, etc... about your beliefs/religion that eventually lead to your non-belief?
Mainly the inconstant troubles in the bible. I was raised to believe that the Bible (along with the watchtower magazines) were the word of God and that it was true. It wasn't a strict upbringing but it was always there in the background. In middleschool I met my girlfriend online, it's a serious relationship and we're still together, but we did discuss the big issues, like religion.

I had never before really questioned my faith, nor was I a annoying Christian, in fact, many of my friends didn't know I was a Christian simply because it wasn't apparent, however it was a bit of a surprise to me when I found out my girlfriend didn't believe. [She's pagan, not an atheist, this is important later on] It made me think, but I didn't really care too much.

When a church donated tiny New Testaments to my school for the students to take home I remembered talking to my girlfriend about studying my faith more seriously, so for her (because if it was up to me I wouldn't read the bible, it was long and boring when I was a kid, and it still is) I picked up 2 copies to read. I found out that this wasn't the full book of God, so I borrowed my mother's bible, and started to read.

I read for about a hour, and stop roughly around the Ark. I had always known about the main story of the ark, but I had never really thought deeply about it. Reading it for the first time on my free will made me notice the problems. So I stopped reading the bible and turned to the internet, and at first I did vague searches like "Is God Real" and I found two pages that I mainly used to look at, one that said yes, and the other said no.

The one that said no really puzzled me. I had never heard of atheists before. Never. It had never occurred to me that there was people that didn't believe in Jesus.

Unsatisfied with these pages, I went on youtube and searched for debates, and found the works of Christopher Hitchens, and other atheists that pointed out the morality, historical, and logical problems of the Christian's religion.

And as I slowly deconverted, which wasn't too painful aside from the fear of hell and the fear that I'd be harmed by my family (the latter is still there). To seal the deal, I happened upon TheThinkingAtheist cartoons, they were cute, and put it into simple terms that I could understand. (I had trouble understanding the complex scientific videos and the deep bible shit.)

Now as for why I am here, well...I only know 2 atheists in real life. It's terribly lonely, and online I have a habit of unintentionally offending Christians and getting banned on forums, no matter how polite I try to be. I had glanced on this forum and I decided I could stay until I was banned for some stupid shit. I wasn't really active too much until I noticed their non-cencorship policy they had going. That really hit me and thats why I am here. It's a healthy community and I've met some cool people here.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
03-09-2012, 09:38 AM
I was raised a protestant and was looking heavily at going into the ministry when I was introduced to Catholicism.

I remember thinking that "This is one of the original branches of the church! How wonderful that I'm being introduced to this god must want me to learn from this or maybe join them!". My first Catholic service I clearly remember shaking in acceptance of grace at how warmly I was welcomed to worship.

Then I started talking with the Catholics about theology. Realizing how far behind they were on matters like homosexuality and masturbation gave me a large shock. Then I started reading my Catechism and realized what transubstantiation was.

That's what basically got my mind started on rejection. It gave me major doubts to encounter one of the oldest branches of the church seemingly acting so crazy. Nowadays when someone says that the quickest way to make an Atheist is to read the bible I fully know they are not kidding.
[+] 3 users Like Godless's post
03-09-2012, 01:19 PM
I started to doubt the religions when I was told that I shoud not think by myself, but to just believe everything I was told from "the word of God".

If someone is trying to sell you something strange on the streets that will be the solution to all your problems, and he says "Dont think about it, just buy it, it is all you need" would you consider him/her trustworthy?

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
[+] 1 user Likes SomeOne's post
04-09-2012, 01:44 AM
My profile pretty much explains it in a nutshell.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user