Why are you here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2013, 05:53 AM
RE: Why are you here?
I was a very seriously religious kid, wanted to be a nun.
So when I was 10 I decided to read the whole bible.
It read like a fairy tale book with a lot of boring who begat whom thrown in.
I had just learned about how babies were made and realized there were big holes in the garden of Eden story - where did the mates for Abel and Cain come from? A talking snake, really? And on and on, a nasty, vengeful god with the most base of human emotions uncontrolled, mixed with fairy tale type stories.
When I was done reading, I filed the bible away and haven't touched one in 50 years now. I never gave it any thought since, until my husband died and all these well meaning people went on and on about angels and what have you.
That drove me nuts at the time - and I showed up here at TTA to vent. I enjoyed the company and so here I still am.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
24-01-2013, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2013 09:36 AM by Chaos.)
I actually thought anything is possible, from a flying spaghetti monster to a land of fairies. I remember that once I went at school and I asked the other children about where's the land of fairies and all laughed at me. That was pretty embarrassing. But guess what? Now they're all brainwashed believers whilst I'm an atheist. So, who's laughing now?

I guess it is normal to believe different stupid things when you're still young and have no idea how the most things work but after growing up, some may realize that society is not a land of fairy tales, that people could be evil and do dirty, irrational and immoral things and that made me reach to the point where I started searching for answers, answers to which religion couldn't answer. Therefore, growing up, being an honest explorer and being open minded in the same time, helped me to open my eyes and see the real world I live in. Simple as that.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
24-01-2013, 09:17 AM
I was never a believer. I was giving my gran hell for her Catholicism from as young as 5... she has never read the bible and she doesn't believe that dinosaurs existed. A little boy is not going to let that last bit slide.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 3 users Like frankiej's post
24-01-2013, 04:38 PM
(31-08-2012 12:49 PM)Noelani Wrote:  Why are you here?

For those of you who were religious, what were some of the questions, realizations, etc... about your beliefs/religion that eventually lead to your non-belief?
Why can't you ask one question at a time?
26-01-2013, 02:47 AM
(24-01-2013 05:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  I was a very seriously religious kid, wanted to be a nun.
So when I was 10 I decided to read the whole bible.
It read like a fairy tale book with a lot of boring who begat whom thrown in.
I had just learned about how babies were made and realized there were big holes in the garden of Eden story - where did the mates for Abel and Cain come from? A talking snake, really? And on and on, a nasty, vengeful god with the most base of human emotions uncontrolled, mixed with fairy tale type stories.
When I was done reading, I filed the bible away and haven't touched one in 50 years now. I never gave it any thought since, until my husband died and all these well meaning people went on and on about angels and what have you.
That drove me nuts at the time - and I showed up here at TTA to vent. I enjoyed the company and so here I still am.
That is so awesome. At such a young age, you took the time to find out for yourself what your religion was about. You examined the evidence, found it bad, and put it down.

You ate the fruit from that infamous tree and decided for yourself what was good and bad.

I like it.

"The problem with faith is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason why you do not have to give reasons for what you believe." - Sam Harris
26-01-2013, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2014 11:52 AM by Dark Light.)
I have no idea why I came here, I don't even remember how I stumbled onto the site. I had never heard any podcast, or seen any video, but I stayed here because of the people. Religion doesn't comprise much of my thought or time anymore, but it is nice to be around people who are not afraid to confront truths, even when it isn't particularly appealing truths.

26-01-2013, 03:22 AM
I love the signature quote, DarkLight. Modest Mouse rules. 'Ocean Breathes Salty' is a great one. Use to get 'Dashboard' stuck in my head, too. Big Grin

"The problem with faith is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason why you do not have to give reasons for what you believe." - Sam Harris
26-01-2013, 09:13 AM
I read Sean's book Deconverted and found this place.

Godless in the Magnolia State
26-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Alien were better than normal religion, but then I wondered why they would bother. So I came here.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
26-01-2013, 10:56 AM
(24-01-2013 08:55 AM)Chaosss Wrote:  I actually thought anything is possible, from a flying spaghetti monster to a land of fairies. I remember that once I went at school and I asked the other children about where's the land of fairies and all laughed at me. That was pretty embarrassing. But guess what? Now they're all brainwashed believers whilst I'm an atheist. So, who's laughing now?

I guess it is normal to believe different stupid things when you're still young and have no idea how the most things work but after growing up, some may realize that society is not a land of fairy tales, that people could be evil and do dirty, irrational and immoral things and that made me reach to the point where I started searching for answers, answers to which religion couldn't answer. Therefore, growing up, being an honest explorer and being open minded in the same time, helped me to open my eyes and see the real world I live in. Simple as that.

Oh, they are still laughing at you. It is just that you don't care. They think they are correct and you are wrong. Unless they lose their belief as well, they will always believe they are right and you are wrong.