Why are you sad? You'll see them again in paradise right?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
07-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Why are you sad? You'll see them again in paradise right?
So just had a random thought about people passing on. Most religions believe in some sort of afterlife where they will one day be reunited with their chosen loved ones and live forever and ever. So why is it that they get sad about them dying then....you'll see them sometime in the future right?

My apologies if this offends anyone but I'm a bit cynical thanks to a few deployments and such so I've learned to accept death and I'm not one bit afraid of it nor do I get sad when loved ones die. Just how I am I guess.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
07-04-2014, 01:25 PM
RE: Why are you sad? You'll see them again in paradise right?
(07-04-2014 12:52 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So just had a random thought about people passing on. Most religions believe in some sort of afterlife where they will one day be reunited with their chosen loved ones and live forever and ever. So why is it that they get sad about them dying then....you'll see them sometime in the future right?

My apologies if this offends anyone but I'm a bit cynical thanks to a few deployments and such so I've learned to accept death and I'm not one bit afraid of it nor do I get sad when loved ones die. Just how I am I guess.

Some of the sadness religious people have about death might be that way down deep they have some doubts about an afterlife; that maybe it's not true, maybe it's a fairy tail. It's not a sure thing, like for instance knowing water is wet or snow is cold.

On a side note, I like to say people "die" instead of "passing on". Passing on denotes that one is going from one place to another. Dieing is final and you're not going anywhere. You're just.......dead.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
07-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Not so much with regard to the OP but with the reply.

When my dad died, his lady friend sent emails to people they knew but that we kids didn't know. I liked how she worded it so I stole it for his obits...she said, " Doc X left this life on..."

Since dad had been really in the Bible Belt, the usual phrasing was more like, "Went to be with Jesus" or "Went to his heavenly home". So 'left this life' worked, considering the situation. If the religious wanted to infer that he had gone to another life, fine.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
07-04-2014, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 01:44 PM by kingschosen.)
Same reason parents are sad when their children move away.

Same reason you're sad if you have to leave your family and friends and such for whatever reason.

People get sad in situations like this because separating from someone you love is usually sad.

This is increased if you are never going to see them again in your lifetime.

I don't know... just seems like an incredibly "forced" question to the religious.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
07-04-2014, 01:37 PM
(07-04-2014 12:52 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So just had a random thought about people passing on. Most religions believe in some sort of afterlife where they will one day be reunited with their chosen loved ones and live forever and ever. So why is it that they get sad about them dying then....you'll see them sometime in the future right?

I don't think religions do a good job when it comes to making people feel better about death. Take a few moments at a dreary black clothed Christian funeral for a glimpse into the placebo not working. Tears flow freely and voices crack in a way that they shouldn't if they really believed this wasn't the end. Even as a believer, no stories of the afterlife gave me comfort.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
07-04-2014, 01:43 PM
I agree with kingchosen. Even if you believe you will see them again in an afterlife, you still have to deal with the rest of this life without them. Thus, the sadness.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
07-04-2014, 01:51 PM
KC already said what I was going to say, but basically
  • it's the same reason people get sad about not seeing people now even though they know they'll see them later, and
  • it's permanent in this life time.
In addition, this is a resounding theme in most Christian funerals. They acknowledge the sadness and say s/he's in a better place.

But yeah, DanceForTwo makes a good point that it could also be tinged by doubt. This will vary from person to person.
07-04-2014, 01:52 PM
(07-04-2014 01:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Not so much with regard to the OP but with the reply.

When my dad died, his lady friend sent emails to people they knew but that we kids didn't know. I liked how she worded it so I stole it for his obits...she said, " Doc X left this life on..."

Since dad had been really in the Bible Belt, the usual phrasing was more like, "Went to be with Jesus" or "Went to his heavenly home". So 'left this life' worked, considering the situation. If the religious wanted to infer that he had gone to another life, fine.

I was talking about my dad to someone recently and explained that he died 6 years ago and she corrected me by saying that he "passed on" and I explained to her that, no, he didn't pass on- he "died". We are so unaccustomed to death in modern society that no one is allowed to die, they merely pass on. Lets call a spade a spade. My dad is dead because he died. I loved him, he was a wonderful guy but the man is dead and I miss him because he's dead and I will never see him again. It's as simple as that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
07-04-2014, 03:43 PM
(07-04-2014 01:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was talking about my dad to someone recently and explained that he died 6 years ago and she corrected me by saying that he "passed on" and I explained to her that, no, he didn't pass on- he "died". We are so unaccustomed to death in modern society that no one is allowed to die, they merely pass on. Lets call a spade a spade. My dad is dead because he died. I loved him, he was a wonderful guy but the man is dead and I miss him because he's dead and I will never see him again. It's as simple as that.
I think that it was very rude and insensitive of that person to correct your terminology while sharing your personal loss. Angry
My dad was killed when I was 17. At the time, I was still a Christian with the obligatory beliefs. I thought that when I would have a dream about him that he was actually visiting me from the other side. I know now that that was mere wishful thinking. His life was taken, he died. And just like you, I miss him, he's dead, end of story.
Clinging to millennia-old superstition may give people comfort from reality in the same way that living in a drug-induced haze gives comfort from reality.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
07-04-2014, 04:05 PM
The reason people believe the dead are watching over them and are still around, especially ones who were very close, especially if you were still living with them at the time of their death, is that they are firmly engraved in your brain. When you set the table, it takes a conscious effort to set one place instead of two. The same thing applies to most every shared activity, scent, sound etc. There is always the expectancy that the dead person is present. This disappears in the course of the years. While it is still happening, people have the feeling that the person is still with them.

In a way this is true, they are in your memory banks, they are called up by the brain from memory every time you encounter a trigger.

It takes quite a long time for the brain to stop calling up the items that pertain to that particular person in your life.

This is really an inefficiency of the brain, but it is the source of grief and one of the things that seem to support the notion that people don't really die.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post